Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy VII Remake

BaKa_nO_kUrO_nEkO

KH doesn't count. KH never counts.

i haven't revisited VII since beating it at launch, honestly...looking forward to this to see how i feel about it now that it's been so long i forgot some of the craziness

also while we're dropping truth bombs? Crisis Core had the better story~

I need the cliff notes on Crisis Core, I never got to play it. Heard great things about it's story. (just now)

The remake, meanwhile, won't follow the original exactly

In an interview with Gamespot, director Tetsuya Nomura revealed that new version could potentially deviate from the blueprint set down in the 1997 PlayStation classic. Referencing the eventual release of the upscaled original, Nomura questioned the need to have two versions that tell the same tale. “You’ll have this extremely, very, very pretty FFVII existing on the same plane," says Nomura in the interview. "We feel that if that happens, it’s like, why have the same exact game?"

Not surprising since alot of story beats will have to be smoothed out if they do voice acting here. I'd be ok with expansions in some areas, and they'll probably give Yuffie and Vincent essential moments so that you are required to get them instead of having the choice not to.

More details!

“We don’t want to interfere with what makes the original title so iconic,” he continued. “There are certain plot points we don’t want to interfere with or disturb, nor will we want to change elements that fans have very big attachments to.”

“My goal with the remake is to make it apply to the current era, the current generation of players that are going to be coming into contact with or playing FFVII for the first time through this remake,” Nomura explained. “I want to make it so it’s relevant to the modern era, as well as having an element of surprise.”

Obviously modernizing a game that relied heavily on text boxes in the past will prove difficult. He elaborated,”We’re taking something that’s text based with no voice over. If we add voice over to it, that will trigger some adjustments that need to be made to accommodate for that. Then, because we’re making it in full HD, we’ll need to think about all the resources that are needed to populate the screen. We’d need to go in and see what needs adjusting in that aspect. It’s like a chain of events; ‘OK, we’re going to revamp this part, what do we need?’, and see if there are any changes that creates. As I say, we can’t go into the specifics at this point but we’ll need to revisit elements within the game to see what is appropriate.”

As for the ‘J’ in J-RPG, he stated, “This term, ‘J-RPG’, I don’t approve of it. I don’t get why it’s being referred to as such — it almost feels like people are kind of making fun of RPGs that are coming out of Japan. I think ‘well, how are they different to RPGs coming from other countries, what’s the difference?’ It feels very uncomfortable when people bring up the term JRPG.”

Meanwhile, Nomura also revealed to Famitsu (via Gematsu) that the game will not contain any new characters. “There won’t be new characters,” he stated. “As for the visual taste, we’re doing them to match today’s visuals and appear closer to reality.

No big surprises thankfully. I think I'm just most worried that it won't A) Get rid of the world map/certain side quests B)Completely redo the battle system.

And if B happens I just want to be able to give commands to the party. I'd be fine with something similar to 12 in terms of gameplay.. but after some time with the FFXV demo I don't really want something like that.

• 5 months later...

i'm sure, just saying a few lines in that (potentially rushed) video sounded poor is all. again, square's been solid with VA work since XII so it's prolly not a concern for the final product

kinda wondering if we're looking at the XV engine there? switching out turn based (unless it's some weird hybrid like Crisis Core?) is gonna piss off some purists, but i think it's exciting

Oooh myyyy...gaaaaaawd!

7Q6uf4z.gif

I want to see mooore! Got FFVII fever after that Cloud announcement for Smash. Still got the original discs and a PS2, so I sat w/ the game couple weeks ago. That game is...not...overrated for a '97 game. The music and the prerendered backgrounds - the blocky ass models...so dated and charming at the same time.

Yeah, I think it's the same voice from Advent Children. It all looked flippin' fantastic - I recognized all the moments...didn't really grasp how combat was workin' out - but I'll watch it a few more times. If this thing isn't coming to the 'Nux'...

...time to get a PS4.

^why pissed? and nah, he just sounded...off there, i guess. this still looks early so a lotta that could change...glad i held off on a replay, it's been since the launch in '97 so this should be a treat when it's done, nonesensical plot & all

Looks like an active-battle combat system. They complained about it in the awful Final Fantasy XII trilogy, they complained about it in the wonderful Final Fantasy XII. Now they've not only changed the gameplay of what is considered to be a perfect game by many, but have changed its turn based battles into active-battle ones? There will be blood.

I think keeping it turned based would be boring considered how upped-up everything else is. Of course, though - people will complain - people will always complain. There's also going to be story-tweaks - that alone is enough to get the game condemned by purists, no matter how awesome everything else is. Might as well make the game the best it can be. I think player involved active-battles is much more engaging than sitting there spamming a button watching the same ol' animations over and over and over again.

Personally, I'd love to run around Midgar fighting stuff. To the purists...the original is still there. They're advertising 'remake' - not just a hugely expensive graphical upgrade. Bunch of characters w/ different types of attacks - can you get some distance and aim Barret's arm-gun at baddies? Take 'em out from a distance? Real strategy! Local co-op?! Whuuuut?

Looks like an active-battle combat system. They complained about it in the awful Final Fantasy XII trilogy, they complained about it in the wonderful Final Fantasy XII. Now they've not only changed the gameplay of what is considered to be a perfect game by many, but have changed its turn based battles into active-battle ones? There will be blood.

ah, but it's not quite as hack & slash form of timed like the Tales series, yeah? XII used the (excellent) gambit system, XIII...fuck, i totally forgot how that worked. this did look like a form of meter-filled/slash though...honestly, anyone still riding for ATB in 2016 oughta be ignored anyway. that system was fantastic when i was introduced to it in like...'91? I need something more interactive now though. but you're right, people will be upset, but if this goes the way it's looking, i figure most won't care when it actually drops. if i wanted it to be that close, i'd just revisit the original myself.

Someone theorized that it may be a more fast paced version of atb with dynamic camera angles and such. Itl'l be interesting to see how parties work. I will be disappointed if I cant give my team specific orders. Im hoping for more XII style than the new XV system. Honestly Im not a fan from what I played of episode duscae. Either way I'll make due, I'm all in for this.

Edited by Axels