Final Fantasy VII Remake

BaKa_nO_kUrO_nEkO

FInal-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Barrett.jpg

barret.jpg

barret.JPG

2051161200_d95ea655c4.jpg

FinalFantasyVII-AdventChildren24.jpg

Ffviiac-barret.jpg

Looks like they're gonna pin back Barret's ears. Doesn't look like they're going to cut n' paste the Advent models.

dceb68ab56212d166d318daa8b197a5b.jpg

One huge thing I loved about FFVII was the pseudo-cartoony look to it all.

final-fantasy-vii-3d-printed-figurines-by-Joaquin-Baldwin-9.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII-Screenshot-cat-slide1.jpg?resize=474%2C330

I love what they're doing, but a part of me would also love to see that original artwork come to life - like what they did w/ Ocarina and Majora. That'd be kew. Maybe some fan will do a skin-mod in the future - maybe even a mod w/ all the characters in their original polygon versions.

ff7-cast.jpg

sfYhRV9.jpg

Those toys are cool, and make the art look kind of charming, but let's face it, the game looks like a dirty butthole now. Not to mention the field models and battle models were wildly different, but I do see what you're saying Nemo. It would be great to see the characters be a bit more stylized instead of that hyper realistic style they have loved since FFX.

I know I run my love of FFIX into the ground around here, but I would kill to see it done from the ground up with that original art style. That for me would be the ultimate Final Fantasy experience. VI would be awesome too, but I'm not sure how the logistics would work there. That game is fucking massive.

...FF VII was pretty linear though, no?

i mean, i broke away to breed chocobos and go on a date, but

FFVII...linear?

833974_o.gif

LOL!!! I'm sorry - I'm sorry, I'll stop. LOL!!!

But seriously: Ugh - FFVII broken up into episodes sounds like torture! Only because of the wait. I'd rather just wait for the complete edition. Now I'm interested in knowing if these episodes are gonna be full-priced games, how many months between episode releases. How many months from there until the complete edition? That's gonna be a hell of a wait.

Need more info. Maybe these episodes / chapters are huge - full-fledged games in their own right. There's gotta be incentive not to wait. Maybe the remake is gonna end up being a massive 3 part epic.

maaaan...you can't do shit out of order in VII. there's areas you can reach as you get the ship/chocobo etc (like always), but the plot advances at the pace it's set, as far as main dungeons/etc.

there's an open world, for sure - meaning it's better than X or XIII. but it's still a 90's JPRG, and it's still technically linear.

No - it's totally linear. You can roam / explore, but a lot is closed off or blocked until you progress in the story - which you can do at your own pace. I forget at what points in the story you hafta swap discs, but I would imagine that's how they can break up the game into 3 chapters (the original having 3 discs) - w/ tweaks to the story at the breaks to make each 'disc' feel like an epic chapter.

I think it's the last disc where the whole world is open (w/ some stuff closed off permanently), that's going to be a massive episode - data wise. That's another thing - does your data transfer from episode to episode? Materia, stats...players are naturally going to grind and max their stats waiting for the next episode - if stuff carries over.

Check this out - hardcore. There's no dialogue or commentary - just a comparison vid. Whoever put this together is sick.

Yeah i read a thing that says if they made this in one game they would have to cut things out. I just want to see the open world field and the towns in there with exploration and whatnot. FF7 is a linear game, but the exploration is there, that's just what I meant. I would hate to see it be nothing but predetermined paths throughout the thing.

Also it's just weird to think of an RPG as episodes, but Nemo has a good point that it could be broken up like the discs and would have a better flow than I think it would. Who knows, it's still really early to tell anyway.

Edited by Axels

Dude, an HD remaster of the open world field w/ all those caves and towns is going to be massive. I seriously don't know how they're going to pull off fitting what looks to be a fully fleshed out Midgar w/ a fully fleshed out Gaia. Yeah, either stuff has to be cut - or it does have to be diced into installments.

But, part of what made the game awesome was flying around in the airship and looking for stuff you may have missed and checking out the world, revisiting areas and exploring. Again, I think that was the last disc. If they section off the world into 'installments', there's gotta be a point where they have to end up shoving everything into a single 'episode'. If there isn't a point where the whole world can be revisited, the whole thing could suffer - it'd be losing something that was a huge part of the fun of the original. I hope they don't go the route of, 'Well, if you want to explore Midgar - throw on Episode 1. If you wanna check out the forests up to Cosmic Canyon, play Episode 2...'cuz we just can't fit the whole world into a single episode.'

I can see how the whole thing can end up just feeling 'too' linear.

map.jpg

aeris800x600.jpg

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216

Square sent a statement to Kotaku today regarding the episodic nature of FFVII:

"It means instead of concluding in one entry, multiple entries are being considered in development. Each entry will have it's own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-size game."

(I gotta figure out how to post a quote from websites...doing sumthing wrong der)

• 2 years later...

Good lord, over 2 years since the last post...

Now I kinda wish it was all just a massive graphical upgrade w/ added voice work.  (Secret of Mana remake)  Just so it can be out already - and not be episodic - and it not lose that 'complete' experience.  BUT, it's looking insaaaane!

I'm sure there's gonna be tons uploads on youtube of "FFVII: the Remake: the Movie" once this is all said n' done.

W/ all the seriously-insane work they're putting into this - I hope Square is planning on putting out sum official blu release of a feature-version of the FFVII remake.

Metroid 'Other M' has a theater-mode thingie - where they combine gameplay w/ the game's cinematics - so you can watch the whole game as a 'feature-film' w/ full context...it's like 3 hours.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I wish that was a thing - basically, video game cinemas combined w/ gameplay and you can watch the entire thing - like, what Futurama did w/ their PS2 game on one of their DVDs.

Advent Children has a featurette on blu, where they kiiinda did a 'feature-version' of FFVII w/ PSX gameplay n' cinemas.  It jumped in story a lot - could've been better, but I would so invest in a genre like that - if video game companies took that route.  Eh - I guess that's what youtube is for.

But - y'know how these things end up being like, really cinematic - like, Resident Evil HD remake - an official Capcom release of a feature-version of the game (w/ gameplay context and all cinemas) would be sooo picked up - even if I have and play the game.

Playing the game is a different thing - it's 'interactive / involved'...hours and hours...days!  But sometimes, I skim through my game library and if I could just plop down and watch the 'epic / cinematic' games all the way through in a sitting - properly edited w/ gameplay - shiiit, I get in those moods.  Just enjoy the production value - (sigh) but, yeeeah - youtube.

I'd love to see all this amazing work cut together as a huge feature.  I'd support an official Square release - despite youtube...and even despite owning the game already.  Play Mode and Watch Mode.

I'm eager to see how they tighten up the story, if at all. Because hoo boy, that part of the game has not aged well (amongst other things). Barrett is especially cringey now.

It'll be fun to see some iconic scenes recreated here (Nibelheim's destruction, weapon's awakening). I'm also anxious to see how the enemies will be recreated. The ghouls on the crashed gelnika in a fresh coat of paint/the horrors in the shinra building could look particularly gruesome. 

• 1 year later...