Hondo's Bar

Superman Returns

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously, this is tomorrow, let's make specific plans. I'd liek to buy tickets.

PS Want to people think of allegations that Superman comes off as gay in this movie.

Were there allegations? I thought it was more that gays come off on Superman.

Were there allegations? I thought it was more that gays come off on Superman.

Eeeeyewww!! Nah, dunno if it was here or there, but the buzz I'm hearing is the reason the Superman Trailer has next to no dialogue from him is 'cause the fella they hired to play him can't act for shit...

Is cockface Joel coming? To those of you that know him in person, if he hasn't checked into Hondo's recently and doesn't already know about this meet-up, don't go and spoil it for everyone else by inviting him along. I'd like to have fun tonight, not vomit inside my own mouth all night.

Just saw a new trailer for this at the cinema (which pretty much used footage I've seen already) This looks like the fucking shit. Maybe once the movie's out it won't quite live up to the hype machine, but I'd bet good money it's going to be at least twice the movie that shit pile X-Men 3 was. Why couldn't he finish that series then do this one?

Bullet in the fucking eye!

Okay, so this is my first time analyzing a movie here on this forum, so bear with me. First off, this movie, for me is a mixed bag of sorts. I love the 78 Reeve film and part 2, they are like branding ironed into my memory forever. First off Routh, was excellent on screen. He's handsome, he's polished and godamn he looks like they reicarnated Reeve. Even his smile, diction in the way he talks and so forth are a dead on mimick of Chris Reeve.

This movie could have been titled "Superman Redeux" though. I mean, from start to finish. First off we are treated to some throwback of an Alexander Salkinind type credits retreated from the first 2 films with the Williams soundtrack fanfare during the credits. The effcts are wild, in the opening scenes. But there is just too much that is from the first film and a little from the second film that are just "redone" here.

I mean I break it down so that you see the comparison.

First film,

-Krypton explosion

-Jorel interlude "my son".

-we have the Kents and the meteor scene.

-Clark growing up and realizing his powers,

-The infamous helicopter rescue of Lois.

- His hiring as a reporter for the planet,

-his feelings for lois,

- the "Can you read my mind?" interlude with flight.

-olson's antics,

-the alleyway uniform change,

-the robbery apprehension,

- the space flight scene,

-the earthquake,

-luther almost killing Superman with Kryptonite,

-SM's rescue,

-his rescue of Lois a second time,

-the missile thrown into space

-his apprehension of Luther,

-the infamous Reeve in space flyby overhead scene with the smile at the end.

Then there are a few quippy lines at work here too, however tacky like, "Its a bird its a plane its superman", and about 20 or so word for word verbatim quotes from the first film entirely.

In this new film we have almost a mirror of the above plotline from SM 1

- Krypton explosion

-martha and the meteor scene,

-a jorel interlude,

-a plane rescue with lois on board like in the first movie complete with her and his lines from SM1 and her fainting,

-his return to the planet,

-olson and his antics,

- the alley uniform change,

- his continuing love for lois,

-another can you read my mind ineterlude the score is also the same (thank god no voice over)

- the apprehension of luther,

-luther almost killing SM with kryptonite again,

-his rescue, another lois rescue,

-the infanous fly over space scene,

-the meteroite land genesis into space.

I felt as though I was watching an enhanced up to date effect wise version although watered down of SM1. The score was redone, but the fanfare "Superman", was way overplayed here. In the first film when you heard it you knew SM was coming or an action sequence was coming. Here it played constantly and bored the film, to be honest.

I liked Routh, liked Spacey and liked the very, very few action sequuences in terms of ILM magic. I hated, yes the unoriginality.

I saved for last what did this film in for me. The developmnent of the continuing plot to be involving a child conceived by Lois and SM.

Superboy?

This is insane. It detracted from the plot and left me with a cheapened feel for the return of Superman. It was really just the return of the first film and the fortress of solitude scene from SM2.

So I liked it, not loved it and thought it was good, but far from great.

Sorry Pauly that was probably rude of me. Are you a troll or no?

Anyways, just saw this movie and it was gayer than what I imagine Richard Simmons' hairy beanbag in my mouth to be like. I'ma figure out how to bill Bryan Singer for my time and my ticket. But more on that in the morning.

Saw it last night with bishop and jax, it was absolutely nothing new, litterally. The movie is clearly an homage to the first two movies; same props, same background designs; some scenes were shot exactly the same way as in the first two; even old footage and voice work of Brando's were used; and the opening sequence was shot for shot identical to the first two movies. Overall, the movie is decent. It's not a great movie but good enough to want to watch at least once.

I think Singer realized something early one. An updated Superman (think "update" like how the 1989 Michael Keaton Black Rubber suit Batman was an update from the 1960's/1970's Adam West Bang! Pow! Batman) would be really lame. You have to go back to the old school look. It has to have to old look. And I for one, liked it. Will I remember it in 20 year like I'm bound to remember Spider-Man 3? Probably not.

Wow, sure Skeeter sorry I missed the spolier tags, oh my God, sorry. I have no understanding of the troll term though, so I couldn;t answer you honestly.

I thought that where this movie thread was here it was to talk about the movie and not spoiler hide it. Sorry again.

Wow, sure Skeeter sorry I missed the spolier tags, oh my God, sorry. I have no understanding of the troll term though, so I couldn;t answer you honestly.

I thought that where this movie thread was here it was to talk about the movie and not spoiler hide it. Sorry again.

spoiler tags are done like such

[spoiler ] here you would put the shocking secret plot twist [/spoiler ]

But without the spaces, or on this forum, it's the fourth button from the left.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I'm still hoping Skeet's tripping on Hatorade, I remember the Christopher Reeve movies, in so much as I remember there were made and Reeve Was Superman, or at least everyone says, but I don't have such fond memories of them as I do with the Batman movies, or even Supergirl, so if the biggest complaint is that Supes Returns borrows elements from the other movies that just means it will be faintly nostalgic, but mostly all new to me.

Pauly, sorry for the hostility bro, is'kinda becoming a natural state for me what with MM & alla trolls around... Anyways, my most humble apologies & fervent welcome to the bars.

The movie though? I wasn't all that in awe of the originals(2 was solid, i was always a fan of the Kryptonian War-criminals story) so nostalgia didn't play a big part for me. Far as I was concerned Bryan Singer was simply tabogganing down the cash mountain on Christopher Reeve's mangled corpse. There's nothing essentially wrong with updating or contemporing, hell, Smallville will do quite nicely until they face that ackward question of costume. This movie offered nothing new, and what it did was shit(sorry for paraphrasing Pauly or Drifter there, but that's precisely my thoughts too). Bitter disappointment, and it takes a lot to make me get up & physically boo a movie. As it is mosta the cinema lost the plot after the first act, & everyone spent mosta the movie cracking wise, like a subconcious group effort to overcome the homo-erotic ackwardness & inalieble sence that any one of us would rather be doing something else. Is anyone who all that invested in the Reeve Legacy even going to care about this movie? No. I don't think so. If anything this makes me resent Reeve & his whole bollocks dealy. So fuck Bryan Singer.

The movie though? I wasn't all that in awe of the originals(2 was solid, i was always a fan of the Kryptonian War-criminals story) so nostalgia didn't play a big part for me. Far as I was concerned Bryan Singer was simply tabogganing down the cash mountain on Christopher Reeve's mangled corpse. There's nothing essentially wrong with updating or contemporing, hell, Smallville will do quite nicely until they face that ackward question of costume. This movie offered nothing new, and what it did was shit(sorry for paraphrasing Pauly or Drifter there, but that's precisely my thoughts too). Bitter disappointment, and it takes a lot to make me get up & physically boo a movie. As it is mosta the cinema lost the plot after the first act, & everyone spent mosta the movie cracking wise, like a subconcious group effort to overcome the homo-erotic ackwardness & inalieble sence that any one of us would rather be doing something else. Is anyone who all that invested in the Reeve Legacy even going to care about this movie? No. I don't think so. If anything this makes me resent Reeve & his whole bollocks dealy. So fuck Bryan Singer.

Is it in you?

haterade-2.jpg

Archived