Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Chat

The NZA

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trillian is now up to version 3.1. Basic is free. Cuistomizable too :D

I was using deadaim for a while and I really liked it except for the fact that it kept crashing and asking me for the serial # and pw. I've been thinking of switching to trillian ever since.

Your mom is a novel!

I used to use Trillian, but it kept fucking becoming incompadible with AIM. I thinkthe people at AOL were figuring out how to block users using Trillian. At one point, you had to get the update like everyday for a month to use AIM. So I said "fuck it."

Ok, i gotta ask (and i wish id get more replies here): how many of you would really use the chat?

I'd use it...

because, i can show a demo, but there's a chat we could have that'd be easier, work great, and best of all, itd create a bar diown by "Online Users" that would tell you who was chatting. How cool is that?

Trick is....the free one wouldnt let you do that, it woudlnt integrate with our board to tell you that kinda info. The one that would do that, its $8 a month on top of our server fees.

While that sounds good it does also seem steep for what can be got for free.

For those not keepin score, our fees are $18/month, paid every six months at about $108 or so. This would bring us up to $26/month, or if we paid ahead of time, $28+108=$136 every six months or so.

I don't understand the math here, surely it'd be $48+$108=$156?

the demo is right there...but im just wonderin...would enough of us chat to warrant this? do you guys even really want one? worse comes to worse, i could install the free one, and you could just log in as you please. Let me know, i think its a cool option either way.

I think the free options better in fairness.

KOS - i agree; i wish i could intergrate somethin better, but i dont think we should really pay more than we do as it is.

MH - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

Thank you so much, it really helped out! You and SOF both! Youre both on the Sponsors page, will get shout-outs on the front page in the next 6 months, and a personal thread showing you love, too! Seriously, cant thank you guys enough for your generosity.

• 1 year later...

Ever since threads of yore, there's been quiet talk of a Hondo's chat. I tried installing a free one once, worked for about a day. then, i paid a few bucks to get us a flash-based chat, that lasted mebbe a week, sadly. Theyre just not horribly stable, or my coding sucks, which is quite likely.

Our options are more or less the same: program-chats (like google, AIM, msn etc) or free software. Taken from Outsourcing Hondo's:

Ok, so ive been working on 2 ideas for the last sections ive really sought to update/overhaul, and i think ive got somethin.

Chat: As seen here, there's obvious interest in a Hondo's chat being regularly opened for those who dont have the patience to reply to topics in crap shack, and we're all for ways to bring each other together, but weve gone through a series of failed programs.

So, rather than purchase/install another, we've got a few options.

1) Our servers provide a free, java-based one right here. It's not very pretty, and you can pretty much type your name as anyone...but it is free, and most folks should be able to run it.

2) We go with an outisde program that most of the board members interested in chatting have, such as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN etc. AIM seems to be the most popular, and Ruby says this line'll work as a sufficient link if you've the program installed:

aim:goChat?roomname=Hondos+Bar

..but again, i (and i think, others here) use Trillian, so that doesnt work for us. Still, we could just be online and be invited to the room by Metal or whoever's got it goin, lemme know what you guys think of these options.

So yeah, you chatty ho's - Skeets, MH, im lookin at you - try out that free one i linked too and lemme know what you think. it aint gonna be pretty, but i reckon it works.

The other question is: you wanna just schedule chats, or randomly log in, PM or post to ask folks to come in? Cause there's elaborate ways ive seen of having a online member list at the bottom like we got, but it says who's in the chat, too, but options like that wont come free.

well, uh, try out that link and lemme know what you think of it, cause i think its harder to do these things on a chat program if everyone's not on the same one, or using trilian or some shit.

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING UP AT 6 AM? Oh wait it's like 12 at Skeets time.. ok so MH what in the world are you doing up at that hour?

Anyway...how come I don't get included when chatty bitches come up? HUH? I love to chat...Mh and I used to chat for hours. ( I still

Well...I want in on this chatting bit. So im me if I am not online I will recieve it as a text message and I can sign on. I moved in with my boyfriend this past week so I have access again!!!

I sooooo need to catch up...

Archived