Hondo's Bar

Spider-Man 3

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh... the whole panel to panel into film thing was kinda done by 300 as well.

Not in the same way that it was done in Sin City, the pacing of 300 is a fair bit different than the comic. I'm not saying they didn't have very cool plash scenes that could have been taken from the comic, but overall 300 was a far more successful MOVIE than Sin City was. Rodruiguez succeded in doing what he meant to, directly translate Sin City from comic to film, panel for panel, and that's ok I guess, but while he succeeded in so damn many things with this film, (the mood and visuals were perfect.) the pacing killed it for me. Film and comics use a different language, a different structure, and Sin City didn't take that into account.

RottenTomatoes has 6 reviews up, 5 positive, 1 negative (83%). Like all Rottentomaotes scores, the key is looking for clues in the negative reviews to see if the critics giving negative and positive reviews represent you. Take a look at the only negative review so far.

After the significant improvement of the second installment over the first, new entry reps a roughly equivalent dip in quality and enjoyment, with Spidey now giving off the faint odor of running on fumes.

Significant improvement? That implies he didn't like teh first one at all. This guy sounds like a douchebag. Here are the 5 positive reviews, with the most positive last.

Left dangling for the past three years, arachnophiles everywhere finally have cause to celebrate.
Proof that it pays keeping on the same creative team that made previous installments in your franchise a success.
What truly is most amazing about Spider-Man 3 (no pun intended) is that all objections are answered and all developments are resolved, even if at times it feels like they will never converge.
Facing a tough challenge as a follow-up to the superlative Spidey 2, new segment is bigger (in budget), longer (139 minutes), awesome (in CGI), and darker (black is dominant color), featuring more villains than in the first two installments.
It's easily the best of the trilogy and, for my money, one of the most enjoyable films of the decade.

Gotta agree with bish on Sin City. Maybe that's why I liked the director's cut better, when you can watch all the stories separately. They do make great short films.

The latest Spidey trailer is a lot more focused and makes me feel a little more confident, but it's still going to be a helluva lot of plot points for Raimi to juggle. For me, some of the best joys of the first two movies were when he knew to let the film slow down and breathe for a few minutes. I just don't see how he's going to be able to do that in this one while still giving all of his plot points the attention they deserve. Poor Gwen Stacey. I've yet to catch more than a glimpse of her in the trailers, is she even going to be anything more than an extended cameo here?

No, her role is more important than cameo. She plays Eddie Brock's girlfriend, who becomes Peter Parker's lab partner. She falls for Peter and one of the reasons Eddie hates Parker is cause of the Stacy issue. Pancho thinks Mary Jane will die at the end of this movie and Stacy will be the love interest in later movies. Considering they essentially took the Stacy character, gave her red hair and called her Mary Jane in parts 1 & 2, it would make sense to kill MJ like they killed Stacy and make Stacy carry on the role of comic book MJ. Or at least it makes it least far fetched. Unless Dunst wanted out of future films, or if the Sony big wigs wanted her out and a younger actress in, then I don't think it'll happen.

Plus she's also Captain Stacey's (James Cromwell) daughter, who presumably gets killed in the film. See, again, that's a lot of plot to cram into an already overly plotted movie. Dead Man's Chest didn't even have this much going on in it. But I've heard good things about the script, and Raimi and co have done so well in the past I'm willing to put money on them, it's just going to be a very impressive achievement if they pull it off.

By the way, I hear Dunst isn't interested in doing more Spidey films. Neither is Maguire, at this point. Raimi seems to be the only one considering a fourth film (with Jake Gyllenhaal in the role, if not Tobey). Frankly, I see the Spidey films the same way I see the Harry Potter films. The characters are the key, and the cast has become so synonymous with their characters that I don't really want to see another Spidey film without them. If they can't get Dunst, and especially if they can't get Maguire, for a fourth, I think they should just quit while they're ahead and give the series a reboot in another decade.

No, the Hollywood equivilant of "I signed a contact years ago that locked me into a salary argeed upon before your films made billions of dollars, now I'm going to act like I'm willing to walk and make the negociations interesting." It's no different from real estate or any business deal really.

I've purchased 10 tickets, fandango's maximum. If it becomes apparent we will need more, I'll buy more on another credit card. We have:

Me (+ my sister maybe)

Nick

Sen

Arch+1

Pancho (?)

Bish?

Any other takers?

this is one of those that's gonna take phone calls.

last time, we saw arch, drifter, SM and others, no reason to think we wont this time. ill be bothering bish later this week, ill ask about his people. One of us gotta call Newt too.

And this sir, is your problem, always thinking with your wallet instead of your pecker. I'm telling you, roped off V.I.P. area is the only way to go. You'll be balls deep in hot molls, unleashing your arachnads and spraying your web-fluid all over them before the credits roll. How do you think Wilmer Valderama gets all those hos? It's not for his expertise in the English language and his ability to tongue lash puns so fluidly young ladies fall into his arms, no, it's that motherfucking velvet rope. So, do what you may but I'm telling you now; you sell those tickets you can kiss goodbye any hang-low stank for the rest of the weekend.

Archived