Hondo's Bar

Spider-Man 3

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

like 5 people at work saw it and not one of them thought it was good...

they actually made me not want to waste my time on it...

It looks hit or miss apparently...

"...it was a little kid movie disguised as an action flick" was one comment, I won't say anymore

I liked it and enjoyed myself for the most part, but I recommend people NOT to battle the opening weekend crowds and to definitely wait a few weeks, or for it to come to video to see it.

ps I think Kirsten Dunst did a wonderful job of it all. (Was that her voice singing?)

Hilarious.

Those precious minutes either make the movie or break it for you. Personally I really enjoyed it, though a little tongue-in-cheek. Good action, lots of it, though I always wince a little at the end.

If you've watched the others and liked them, there's no great reason you won't like this one too. My only niggle is with the circumstances that finish it....

Peter coming to Osborne? And Osborne helping? Sure he finds out Spidey didn't off his dad, but he did blow half Harry's face off...where's the animosity? Maybe it's just poor acting, but I didn't see enough emotion from him after the revelation about his dad's death (nicely timed) and his reasoning to help out Peter.

That and the relationships never sit right with me.

I'lls impressed with Eddie's Venom teeth though. Like a mutant panther.

I think Harry's decision to help was based more on wanting to save Mary Jane than helping Peter. Then again, Peter is the center of Harry's universe as both the only friend he's ever had and the only enemy he's ever had and I don't think Harry wanted to lose that.

So does anyone else wanna weigh in on this? Ì just can't see where the hate's coming from. It was a perfect Raimi effort, the culmination of a well-written story, masterful direction, infused with fanboy sensibilities and great delivery from a comfortable cast. Emo-parker was a little galling to watch, sure, but as Jax said- what was the alternative. It's just shocking to think there're people don't like this whiloe X3 got such a good fucking rap. That was a peesashit movie.

alright.

so I think this movie was a dissapointment. Myabe i was too hy[ped about it or something... but I htink,

Emo parker wasn't that bad in mi boiook. I thought that was actually fun. but Harry/Mj/petter thing fucked up for me.

MJ is not a WHORE! I stand by that. *diurected ti nick and Newt.*

but um, sandman, venom action/graphics were cool.

Okay a large portion of this will be spoilered but I'll try to manage here.

Finally saw this, I can understand why people didn't like it. I don't agree with them, but I understand.

First of all let's get to emo Parker

I am in agreement the hair thing was a bit much but he wasn't really emo. The part with him walking down the street was good, I mean it showed what a cocky ass he was becoming and it was meant to be cheesy because that's how he was acting. You could tell by the looks of disgust on all the people around him that this was the case. Not to mention it was basically the 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head' scene from Part 2 only different.

Next the jazz club scene

Once again, what better way to show him turning into a cocky asshole then have him dancing around like he's The Mask. Like Jax said, there's two ways they could have gone about doing it, the way they did it, or the boring way. I mean if they handled Red Kryptonite Superman like this then I might not be so bored every time they use that plot device.

Mary Jane

I swear the writers of Smallville had a hand in this. Mary Jane is a bitch for the first 15 minutes of the film, then Pete does something to actually deserve it after she tries to make it better, then he tries to make up for things and she does something bad, then she tries to make up and he becomes an asshole. A lot of back and forth, but it honestly worked so I'm okay with it. And Mary Jane showed her true grit near the end, became less helpless more of a Lois Lane-like character

Sandman was never one of my favorite characters, in fact I hold him up there with Elektro and Scorpion as some of Spider-Man's more powerful villains that really don't do jack shit. But Thomas Hayden Church played the part brilliantly and gave him a touch of humanity which was very refreshing just about Akin to Alfred Molina's portrayal of one of my other least favorite Spidey villains, Doc Ock.

And once all that was said and done I actually didn't mind that they changed the story so it was Flint Marko that killed Uncle Ben and not the other guy.

Venom was also very well done. The fact that they didn't camp it up and have him calling himself "we" and talking about eating brains and thank GOD they didn't give him the voice. I was onboard for Topher Grace for this part from the moment I heard he was cast and I'm glad I was right, in fact I wish he was in more of the movie.

I do no think he's dead though. I have a feeling Venom may be back because there was nothing of Eddie left after the bomb went off and yes in the first one the Goblin bombs disentigrated people but they left a skeleton when they did it, I think they left it intentionally ambiguous but maybe that's just me.

New Goblin/Night Surfer/The Guy with the paintball mask was much better than I expected. I have hated Harry and James Franco through both parts 1 and 2 and I was finally glad to see Harry having an important part and James Franco actually acting. But it needs to be in the Green Goblin manual

Warning: Do not put spikes on the front of your fucking glider.

I was also not against either team-up. Yes Venom teamed up with Sandman before even attempting to fight Spider-Man alone. What kind of villain does that? One that's actually smart. It's nice to see a villain not get all over-zealous and actually stack the deck in their own favor before confronting the hero. As for Harry's sudden teaming up with Peter thanks to Bernard just suddenly feeling the need to tell him. While I do wonder why he waited so long to tell him I think Harry finally came to his senses and realized that his father was absolutely batshit loco and that Peter didn't want to kill him and ultimately he's his friend no matter what and forgave him for it. It didn't seem that out of place and it was obvious that the gas didn't effect Harry the way that it affected Norman.

Ultimately I think the reason a lot of people didn't like this is just because it was different than parts 1 and 2, that was the main problem with a lot of things, people just can't accept change. (And then there's Arch whose singular purpose in life is to find something to complain about :howyoudoin: )

P.S. Bruce Campbell's cameo was the best yet, I'm still holding out for him as Quentin Beck/Mysterio in part 4.

Which leads me to my next point, now that Spidey's big 3 (Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and Venom) then who's going to be in the next one.

The Goblin's technology still exists so Hobgoblin's an option, Dr. Conners as always is still around so Lizard is still a possibilty, seeing as we've got John Jameson we can't rule out Man-Wolf entirely, there's still part of the symbiote in Conners' lab so Carnage isn't entirely crazy though pretty far fetched, Sandman is still around but I don't see him turning back to crime but it's a possibility, and Venom MAY still be alive but it's doubtful.

Any other predictions, folks?

P.S. Bruce Campbell's cameo was the best yet, I'm still holding out for him as Quentin Beck/Mysterio in part 4.

No! Cambell as the Jackel, the same person in all three previous cameo, keeping tabs on parker sense he first saw him at the wrestling match where he collected his DNA to create Ben Reilly over the years!

No! Cambell as the Jackel, the same person in all three previous cameo, keeping tabs on parker sense he first saw him at the wrestling match where he collected his DNA to create Ben Reilly over the years!

I kinda like that theory...

That idea makes me cringe. Clone saga, bad.

I must admit, coming out of this i felt a bit, meh! :howyoudoin:

I dunno it seemed really quite slow to me. Quite a lot going on for a Spiderman Film.

The action scenes were awesome as usual, and the comedic value of Bruce Campbell cannot be denied, and also JJ Jameson is always funny to watch.

But over all it was only average to me.

Baytor you raise a lot of valid points there.

Which leads me to my next point, now that Spidey's big 3 (Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and Venom) then who's going to be in the next one.

Lizard. Gotta be the Lizard. Otherwise it would be a huge waste of a Dylan Baker. And the world can't take much more wasted Dylan Baker.

I really liked it. Maybe it'll change the trend of evil-twins/dopplegangers/selves having goatees and give them two tickets to My Chemical Romance, a new haircut

and some very lightly applied eyeliner/mascara.

In other news Jax is a fucking genius. To Hollywood you go sir!

Lizard. Gotta be the Lizard. Otherwise it would be a huge waste of a Dylan Baker. And the world can't take much more wasted Dylan Baker.

Lizard would be good but I don't think he can heft an entire movie on his scaly shoulders, specially since he's more or less an animal and doesn't talk. They'd need somebody else to further complicate things, I'm still all for Mysterio. I think a Mystero/Lizard duo could make a good plot.

Yup, full kudos to Jax for the Jackal idea!!! Whatever comes next, the seeds of Bruce's cameo must be reaped. Rami's sure planted a lot've those little asides through the film, like Parker pissing off Jameson's moon-wolf of a son, the Lizard teaching him physics while keeping a pet Carnage, if the writers get lazy they can just work off those possible threads.

first: clones're good (screw baytor!) and X3 was shitty indeed.

+

-Venom was great. He was all i was there for.

-Sandman was also great. A lesser director'd pay the price for inserting him into the original storyline like that, but he pulled it off.

-Team-ups are great.

-Budget clearly went to some of the best comic fights on screen.

-I liked emo/dark parker, dancing aside he was pretty much what those watching the cartoon/readin the book hoped for.

-there was a lot to tell in the time they had, and they covered most bases.

-

-MJ is a whore. Spidey pulls a publicity stunt, and she runs off with his friend the next minute? sorry he coudlnt read your mind, woman, you didnt tell him your acting sucked and they fired you, and he has like one day when NY hates him, so he's an asshole? remember, she did alla that shit before he went emo.

-more importantly (no offense to those who dug her, MH) but Dunst sucked and clearly didnt really want to be in this movie, was my impression.

-Topher, on the other had, clearly did, and needed more time. And i needed more JJJ for my money, he's always spot-on.

-Why are we dancing now? is this the Mask?

-pacing sorta sucked. I had way too long on the triangle melodrama where i had time to text panch 'when the fuck is someone gonna fight?!"

my review: crazy ambitious, and prolly the weakest overall of the 3, but still a good film and not as crappy as its being panned out, certainly. To go with Skeet, this wasnt the letdown (for me) that X3 was, but i did hope for something a bit more.

first: clones're good (screw baytor!) and X3 was shitty indeed.

+

-Venom was great. He was all i was there for.

-Sandman was also great. A lesser director'd pay the price for inserting him into the original storyline like that, but he pulled it off.

-Team-ups are great.

-Budget clearly went to some of the best comic fights on screen.

-I liked emo/dark parker, dancing aside he was pretty much what those watching the cartoon/readin the book hoped for.

-there was a lot to tell in the time they had, and they covered most bases.

-

-MJ is a whore. Spidey pulls a publicity stunt, and she runs off with his friend the next minute? sorry he coudlnt read your mind, woman, you didnt tell him your acting sucked and they fired you, and he has like one day when NY hates him, so he's an asshole? remember, she did alla that shit before he went emo.

-more importantly (no offense to those who dug her, MH) but Dunst sucked and clearly didnt really want to be in this movie, was my impression.

-Topher, on the other had, clearly did, and needed more time. And i needed more JJJ for my money, he's always spot-on.

-Why are we dancing now? is this the Mask?

-pacing sorta sucked. I had way too long on the triangle melodrama where i had time to text panch 'when the fuck is someone gonna fight?!"

my review: crazy ambitious, and prolly the weakest overall of the 3, but still a good film and not as crappy as its being panned out, certainly. To go with Skeet, this wasnt the letdown (for me) that X3 was, but i did hope for something a bit more.

You're a very angry person. I miss those old times when you had a jig in your step and a sparkle in your eye. You used to be fun.

Archived