Hondo's Bar

Retro gaming on Next-Gen Consoles

Stilly

Link to AP article

Does anybody else think this is a total rip-off? I mean, $5 - $15 for pacman...for the convenience of being able to play pacman on your 360.

Shit, I have fucking PONG on my Original Xbox...for free (well, after paying for the mods and whatnot)...and with mods for the 360 on the horizon, does M$ really believe they're going to make any kind of profit on the deal?!

/rant

Wave of the Future gentlemen. Though the 360 has had retro games available since launch. I thought having an online capable Smash TV was well worth the $5. These are relatively updated versions of these games, rather nicely so that they don't look like ass in HD. Most of these games are $5, though Capcom is going to be charging $10 for SFII.

Later games coming are Contra, Super Contra, Ultimata MK3 and more.

Though to be fair I'm more excited for some of the NEW games on XBLA, Lumines for example should be awesome.

If yer cheezed about microtransactions, I understand, but it is the wave of the future in the console market. Sony and Nintendo are doing the same thing. The conpanies who own these IPs are going to want some sort of compensation for them. If you want emulators, you can get them, but for the majority of people, or those who don't want to mod their systems. This is it.

hah...legal how?

and that price does sound steep, ive been wondinerg how much nintnedo plans on charging for the upcoming Wii library of NES, SNES, Genesis & Turbografx games.

well nick, i have modded out my friends xbox and fitted it with a hard drive, so he no longer has to buy games, but rent them and load them on, i also helped him out as he is a fan of retro games by putting a few emulators on there, atari, sega, snes etc, and a few of his favorite roms... it was tricky enough but i got 100 euro for my troubles and costs.... its kinda like what you have done with your ps2 from what i read.... either way... its fun as fuck to play his xbox... he has like 50 games on it

ps. that is the "legal" part

thats considered piracy over here etc. fraud, arresting, jail....

Edited by the division of joy

The only part of that that wouldn't be considered "legal" would be the ripping the games to the xbox, the downloading of the roms for purposes other than "having a backup", and the downloading and installation of the firmware for the modchip (assuming you installed a modchip)...or any of the other software you put on the xbox (because it would have had to been compiled on pirated microsoft xbox development software).

But besides that, it's completely legal.

But yeah, I've done all that to my xbox, too.

Being a total retro gamer and aficionado, I would revalue these at a reduced price given that they can be stored burned and emulated of a ROM later. Pretty cool idea I think.

Although I do think that Microsoft is in dire need of feeding the already title starved 360 as it is.

Just as a note, downloading any ROM whether you own it or not is illegal. Not that I particularly care, but the whole "you can only DL if you own the game" disclaimer is completely window dressing.

As for the 360, the games are all updated so they don't look like complete ass in HD, and they give you a lot of nice options for playing online and setting the screen up how you like. It is a bit more than just a ROM of these games. They are closer to ports.

Still I'll probably be grabbing Sonic whenever the fuck that comes out, and prolly SF2 also.

An updated port makes the idea sound more exciting.

I was (for some reason) hoping Nintendo was gonna realease much of their old library for like a buck or two, five to ten is a bit much for me. Its more reliable than cartridge, no dobut, but if its too high, ill just bootleg. Even when i do have $, $15-20 isnt reasonable to fix my craving to play Bubble Bobble.

Put again, ports do sound better than just a ROM.

Bishopcruz, if what you say is true, then I'm sure I'll slap down the cash for some of those retro titles...but I'm pretty damn sure that the homebrew scene is where the real innovation will take place when it comes to making the older roms look great in HD.

Of course, the Homebrew scene could fail us all...joy.

There are games coming out for Xbox Live Arcade that would never have gotten a release on another system. Yeah, it will have to meet quality standards, that's the way consoles work. Geometry Wars, Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, and even games like Cloning Clyde are throwbacks to old school gaming, and they look great.

• 2 months later...

Well, Microsoft has done a surprise release of DOOM for the 360, and it's friggen great, if you have the fond memories I do of the game. 4 player online deathmatch and coop makes an angel get his wings.

Gonna hijack this thread though and open it up for some other discussion, specifically how much would you guys be willing to pay for old games? Nintendo is saying that their virtual console stuff will be $5 for NES games, $8 for SNES and $10 for N64 titles, no word yet as to how the games will be upgraded if at all.

Sony is saying that there will be PS1 and PS2 games available for download on PS3, and PS1 games for PSP also. How much would you be willing to pay for those?

Also, how viable is the retro thing overall, I have grabbed a few retro titles for the 360, including SFII, Smash TV, and DOOM, though, to be fair they aren't getting HUGE amounts of playtime, the online features of them definitely add value.

The models could get kinda wierd when you add in some other stuff though, like when there is a catalog of hundreds of games to DL, how many of them are we really gonna shell out $5-15 dollars for? Would Nintendo have been better served doing an itunes like model of a shit-ton of games at like $1-$2 dollars each?

The itunes model is $0.99 per SONG. Compare that to the "old model" and album prices, and they are not marking down the price of songs very much. the itunes model is not about huge price cuts.

Point, though I suppose that one of the differences is that for the most part Music hasn't depreciated in value much. What I meant more as the I tunes model was that it was offered at disposable price points. At $5-$15 a game you limit the market for older titles that aren't of the level of say the DOOMs and Zeldas.

So what, you'd sell it at $0.99 a level?

No, I'd sell it at $0.99 a game, the NES has thousands of games available, and I'd just toss a huge catalog up there, and sell it for $0.99, a ton of these games have not aged particularly well, I'm not talking about the bigtime classics, I'm talking more some of the smaller releases. What at $0.99 is a no brainer is a no go at $5, and the SNES and N64 library is a bit more than that.

I know WHY Nintendo is doing what they are doing, I just think that the VC would be HUGE had they gone with the model. You can get these carts for like $1 used at a lot of places.

Of course this is the same Nintendo who released NES games for the GBA untouched and at $20 a cart. I'm sure a lot of the rabid fans will buy like crazy, I just think that the more casual market will probably opt out of a lot of it. When Nintendo has such a HUGE back catalog to deal with, they have the ability to right out the door dwarf any competitors in volume of titles available and in price.

As things are announced, buying say, the NES version of Contra would cost as much as the arcade port of it for the 360, which will most likely have online coop and the like. Hell, Geometry Wars cost as much as Zelda would.

Wheras at $1 a game someone might buy say 100 games over the life of the console, at $5 they will make damn sure they absolutely want it on VC, especially with emulators available on PC for free.

We'll see when the Wii drops, i wanna see exactly what lineup they offer, which titles and if they really go $5, $10 etc across the board. Bishop's right, there's a lot more games id get for $1-2 each, not as many for $5.

Then again, while i may be disappointed by the prices too, is it that unexpected? This is a system that's starting at $250. Theyre gonna want to make $ somehow, and if their extensive backlibrary is one of their big strengths, why would it be odd to expect them asking a bit for these titles?

Honestly, first youre jumping them about not packing in another controller, now games might cost a few dollars more than you thought they would...are you planning on gettin a Wii at all, Bishop? Because i gotta say, after PS3 disappointing me at every turn, and the 360 looking exciting but not enough games to get me on board, Nintendo's coming out with an innovative control system, a fair price, and are finally letting me play old games the way i want to, even bringing Genesis & Turbografx titles along for the ride....im still really hyped, a difference of $3+ a title isnt gonna do that much damage or isolate any market they didnt already have, id wager. Honestly, with competitors pushing $600+ systems made for high-end entertianment centers, is this that big a deal?

Well, gunsmith is gonna probably grab one so it saves me from needing to get one. DOn't get me wrong, I think Nintendo has a lot of potential on its hands. What is interesting about this gen is that every one of the console manufacturers has fucked up in one way or another.

As far as the pricing, it depends on what they want to do, I'm talking about it from a business perspective and in terms of the competition, they have a friggen gold mine of a ton of games, and dribbling them out or pricing them a bit too high could be an issue. I mean, hell to me the retro prices for some of this shit seems a bit much, others may disagree, but I think thoughts that many people had of rebuilding their NES collection may be a bit more out of reach than people may have realized.

I have nothing against Nintendo, I love my DS, I'm just calling it how I see it.

Edited by bishopcruz

• 6 years later...

Good a thread as any.

Playing this now. SO MUCH HOMAGE. If you're a gamer/pop culture nerd between saaaaay 23-38 or so (and more specifically right in the middle), this game pulled your card and has you right in it's sights. It's one giant reference. Duck Hunt, The Dark Knight, Bill & Ted, GTA, TMNT, Zelda, Duck Tales, Sonic, Snoop Dogg... these are just the handful I noticed in the first 10 minutes. It seems to have no intention of letting up.