Hondo's Bar

Spider-Man: The Clone Saga

The NZA

ASM149Cover.jpg

Had to revisit this one, before Bendis does in Ultimate Spider-Man soon enough...

I still stand by this arc/event being fun, right up till they pulled the swictheroo at the end. Reilly vs Venom, Kaine, Traveller, Scrier, Aunt May's death, all kindsa shit - you know, till uh, Peter turned out to be the "clone", started beating up a pregnant MJ (hunted her down, too, oddly enough), and you know...Spydercyde.

This topic's open up to all kindsa criticism, talk etc but...did anyone actually read it beisdes me and Panch? I figure the answer's likely no, which is fair, but you oughta give it a try sometime if you got the time:

Z-Cult - The Spider-Man Clone Saga (complete)

Wikipedia summary

The Life of Ben Reilly - A massive, 35 page report from behind the scenes on how the Clone Saga ended up the way it did, and all the ways it couldve gone - the shit at the end, about Kaine being the natural evolution of Peter, was awesome.

I got into Spidey at just as Maximum Carnage was wrapping up, and feel out of reading it regularly just around the time Peter was reviled to be the real Spider-Man after all (Damn you Jackel! Even in death, how many lives must you ruin?!) I bought all the Scarlet Spider titles ("The Amazing Scarlet Spider," "The Web of Scarlet Spider," "The Spectacular Scarlet Spider," and plain ole "Scarlet Spider" that replaced "Pater Parker is Spider-Man").

I took alot of thigns from that story arc, but above all, I took away from it the compelling case made against embryonic stem cell research. Remember kids...it could happen to you!

• 4 months later...

So...

The way Spidey first met and fought the clone in Amazing #149 and the clone saga didn't pick up till much later, they're not doing that? They're jumping right into the Ben Reilly thing? Kinda hard to see how when there's no clone history.

But, OK.

I really must read some of the 'Ultimate' books some time...

right, but he hasnt come up (directly) since the carnage thing. What's going on right now is....man, itd be easier to find the scans, its an ongoing arc that's not more than 2 issues in, but its one of those things where im excited but confused, so far.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Jumbie: Yeah, its heavily tied to Carnage, just like Venom is tied to Peter's parents in this take....its prolly the most the series has diverted from the original book, but in both instances, i like where Bendis is going with it.

Checked out your life of reilly link. Made for fun reading.

I especially liked the way the case was made that for the initial permanent switch to Ben to work Ben would have had to have become Parker again.

Blond Ben Reilly as THE spiderman was too much.

Of course, that said, the easiest solution would simply be to put the kind of blurb that marvel puts at the beginning of their books anyways.

You know: "Bitten by a radioactive spider, Peter Parker discovers he has amazing powers... uncle ben... power and responsibility... Spiderman!"

They could simply have added something about , "Having lost 5 years of his life... returns as Ben Reilly to once again be Spiderman!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT THE MOST DISTURBING THING in the article wasn't about the clones.

It was the revelation by DeFalco that the 2099 line of books was cancelled DESPITE good sales, because some shithead in Marvel marketing decided that Spiderman 2099 was siphoning sales from Amazing Spiderman.

WTF?

Can we get 2099 relaunched?

Edited by Jumbie

well, im sure there's fans, but - which books'd you wanna see?

i understand Doom 2099 was good during the Ellis run, i off and on enjoyed spidey, but never got into punisher, x-men or that ravage one.

X-Nation, on the other hand, was fun in that mid 90's point of teen books.

• 1 month later...
well, im sure there's fans, but - which books'd you wanna see?

i understand Doom 2099 was good during the Ellis run, i off and on enjoyed spidey, but never got into punisher, x-men or that ravage one.

X-Nation, on the other hand, was fun in that mid 90's point of teen books.

Doom 2099 was pretty good all around, it was refreshing having Doom as a hero rather thana villain. X-Men was kinda meh, pretty hard to follow and the characters weren't great. Punisher was pretty good for the Punisher back in those days, the two books I really enjoyed were Ghost Rider and Hulk, it put a nice refreshing new spin on both characters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
god bless you, ALC. me too.

"ALC"? :yawn:

anywho, i recently reread this, god bless you demonoid.

it's not as cutting edge as i remember, but it certainly was as nick said at the start of the thread, fun.

but at it's best it was a lot more than that, the lost years is along with kraven's last hunt the best spidey i've ever read.

so in honour of kaine and ben i offer to anyone who wants to read/reread the clone saga to post the dvd with every comic ben was ever in (including what if's).

any takers?

Edited by alive she cried

sorry man, you hadn't earned that S just yet.

id take you up on it, but im still holding out for a trade...i forget, did they ever get around to it? i swear, there's a Maximum Carnage TPB ive wanted for a while, a Clone Saga Omnibus would be awesome.

"ALC"? :mad: anywho, i recently reread this, god bless you demonoid.it's not as cutting edge as i remember, but it certainly was as nick said at the start of the thread, fun.but at it's best it was a lot more than that, the lost years is along with kraven's last hunt the best spidey i've ever read.so in honour of kaine and ben i offer to anyone who wants to read/reread the clone saga to post the dvd with every comic ben was ever in (including what if's). any takers?
ALC rocks the shit and steals your girlfriend. One time the 5-0 pulled over ALC and thought he was 2testes, he's that hard.On a side note, I miss chronium covers. I remember when I first started reading comics and found Ninjax & Bloodshot #1's in full chronium and sat on 'em for the longest time thinking they'd accrue value...

id take you up on it, but im still holding out for a trade...i forget, did they ever get around to it? i swear, there's a Maximum Carnage TPB ive wanted for a while, a Clone Saga Omnibus would be awesome.

fair enough, but it's not like getting the scans'll prevent you from buying the trades when/if they come out

on a side not, while reading the saga there's a veiled appearance of kaine in amazing spider-man #435 which is maybe a year after ben died.

has he ever appeared since?

ALC rocks the shit and steals your girlfriend. One time the 5-0 pulled over ALC and thought he was 2testes, he's that hard.On a side note, I miss chronium covers. I remember when I first started reading comics and found Ninjax & Bloodshot #1's in full chronium and sat on 'em for the longest time thinking they'd accrue value...

i miss alc

edit

on consulting wiki

Several months later, however, he is shown escaping from jail alongside many other super-powered criminals in an issue of Thunderbolts. Kaine breaks out to try and stop Norman Osborn after finding out that Osborn is still alive and has masterminded the Clone Saga, as a few issues of Spider-Man briefly mention Kaine working against Osborn's agents in southern Europe. The last mention of Kaine is an offhand line from one of Osborn's men saying that Kaine has been "dealt with", without elaborating on what that meant.

In the Civil War: Battle Damage Report one-shot, the final pages mention potential enemies and candidates to the 50-States Initiative. Kaine is listed as an "Enemy Combatant.

" Edited by alive she cried