Hondo's Bar

Drum and Bugle Corps

Stilly

Whoa! another corps fan... that's like finding water in the desert!

I'm a huge freaking fan, I have a ton of mp3s, listen to them all the time, own the '89 DVD (best season EVER).

It's hard to find good corps fans around especially on the internet, no one ever seems to know what it is or cares either.

I've also marched!

What's your favorite corps, have you marched, what did you play? I need some discussion here, haven't had a good corps discussion in ages!

Haha, jeez....I didn't think this topic would get any replies.

My favorite corps of all time (we're talking DCI here...I have a few DCA corps that I love and adore) would have to be the Madison Scouts.

Although, of course, that didn't keep me from marching elsewhere. In 2003, I marched with the Bluecoats, and in 2005 I taught at a small DCA corps down in Houston as a Brass Caption Head. Played Euphonium with 'coats, but was a lead Baritone with Gulf Coast Sound (the corps I both taught at and performed with).

I have pretty much every finals recording of Blue Devils, Cavaliers, SCV, Cadets...and so on. It's a shame, however, that I don't have a copy of everything, yet.

The only DVDs that I have are the ones from the 2003 season, and a special Bluecoats Banquet DVD from 2003.

Oh...and my brother is also a lead Baritone with the Scouts this season.

Wow, you've done pretty well for yourself then, I see.

Bluecoats are doing great this year as it seems, they've topped Cadets and SCV at regionals, and will probably get third of fourth place fighting it off with Phantom. I'd love to see their show, and I heard it's great but I'm afraid I won't be able to see any except a DCI Theatre, first time since 2001 I haven't gone to a show!

My all time favorite corps is actually Star of Indiana, they were just awesome! I know they were corporately funded and the black sheep of DCI but I still love them a lot, whenever I tell corps fans I like them I get dirty looks, but I still love Star no matter what they say. Other than them I have favorites depending on decades, Madison in the 70s and early 80s definately, then you have BD, SCV, and Phantom taking the rest of the 80s, and Cadets and BD in the early 90s, Cavaliers, Phantom, BD, and Cadets in the late 90s, then Cavaliers, Phantom, Bluecoats (I'm not sucking up, I have loved their shows a lot this decade) and maybe Crossmen earlier in the decade but not this year.

This is actually my age out summer, but I was unable to march due to personal problems (shitty stuff really). I marched with Kiwanis Kavaliers in 2002, that was my first summer. I actually joined Tampa Bay Thunder, which was Div 2 at the time and it was just to sample the corps, but they ended up merging, it was a great experience though, even if we weren't that great, but what can you expect there were only 10 vets in the entire corps. I tried out for Boston in 2003 and got alternate, and then I asked around other corps and they took my information for any holes they might have over the summer since it seemed I wasn't going to get a spot for Boston at all. One of the corps I asked around with was Bluecoats, but they never contacted me, had they we could've probably marched together in '03. Phantom contacted me after their first show and I marched Euphonium cause that's the only hole they had, but it was great, new unis reminiscent of the 80s, 4th place, just a great experience overall, then I did them 2004 and 2005, but couldn't go this season. I kind of sucks because it's my age out season, and they're doing awesome, fighting off for third against Bluecoats, they better not pull what they pulled in '96 and get 1st on Finals night cause then I'll strangle someone, but unless they change the rules at DCI and somehow let me age out in 2007, my corps days are over.

How's Madison doing this year... I'd find it weird to march for an all male corps live Cavaliers or Madison, I remember in 2002 at the Philadelphia regionals we were placed next to Madison and they brass was flirting with the guard. No offense or anything, but they seemed desperate... of course, they also started flirting with our guard which was almost entirely female, so they probably were desperate. That's a funny story for most people I tell it to, but I hope it doesn't offend you seeing as your brother marches Madison...

Oi, I had this long reply all typed up several hours ago and I went to post it and my computer crashed out on me.

So here's attempt number two with as much as I can remember.

Don't worry about flattery when it comes to talking good about the Bluecoats. I still love the corps and most of the peope there, but I left the corps on unfriendly terms my second year there. Almost got me blacklisted from DCI and kept me from marching with the Scouts in 2005. Fun times, let me tell you :???:

Some of my all time favorite shows and corps (from the 90's-00's...the list keeps going and going if I go back before that) would have to be VK, Madison 95-96-03, BD 95-96-01-02, SCV 93?...the year they did Fiddler, Phantom '96-'03, Bluecoats 02-03, Cavies 00-01-02-03, Crossmen 03....and on and on and on.

Cadets - None. I'm actually quite Anti-George Hopkins and Anti-YEA (except for Crossmen...kind of odd, they seem to be more humble)

So you're telling me that even though we didn't march the same corps...we were on the same field at Finals Retreat of '03? Jeez, that's crazy. Small world. Your show made me cry at San Antonio. No lies, it was fucking beautiful and Canon in D always got me misty before that. Hearing Phantom do it was like a dream come true.

Madison is doing decently...nothing too stellar, but you know them. It'd be nice to see them have a clean enough show at the end to move up a few spots. Don't worry about offending me when it comes to them. Both my brother and my best friend (and, actually, one of my friends from college, as well) are in the corps (all baritones....my best friend and my 16-year-old brother being the top two lead baris)...and considering I give them hell all the time about being in an all-male corps, it's fine. Haha.

Ok, that's my rant for right now...hopefully it'll go through this time.

Hey, by the way, drum corps doesn't end at 21. Look into some DCA corps, there are some all-age corps out there that rival some of the best DCI corps of all time.

Wow, that stinks... what happened with you at Bluecoats? Did you march Madison '05 then? I guess not... In recent years Madison just hasn't had the same appeal that they did in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, they used to be a corps that rocked the show, now they're sort of in the background. Also, some people claim they stole the '88 title from SCV or some BS like that because of politics or something, who knows why, but if find it to be b.s.

I hate Cadets as an organization, but they do some neat shows. I would never like to march Cadets, I sort of feel the same way you do about them, and you're right Crossmen are more humble, but Cadets always seemed so unecessarily cocky. I think that them getting 99.150 last year was total bullshit, their '05 show comes nowhere near Cavies 2002!!

Thanks for the compliments, it really was one of the best seasons at Phantom, all the older vets were saying how that was the best season in a long time (at that time), since '97 at least. Everyone loved that show and we were always getting compliments for it, though unfortunately, since I had come in at their like 4th show of the season and I didn't even march the whole show until July (I was basically a mellophone player holding up a euphonium) I spent the whole first half of the season learning and catching up. I didn't really get to march and play the entire thing through until after mid-season, but their euph section was really helpful and understanding. I switched to mello the next year cause a spot opened and stuck with that as I had during high school and in Kiwanis. As for making you cry, that show makes everyone cry, they really put a lot of emphasis on making us sound grand and full, I remember that a lot... grand and full, they wanted it to touch people's emotions and it did. Still, I preffer the '05 show as Rhapsody in Blue is one my favorite pieces. '04 was a good season experience-wise but it didn't have the same feeling as the '03 and '05 seasons, both those times it felt like people were more committed and had more fun with the shows.

Yeah, we were on the same field that night but a bit far from each other. Didn't you guys stand right next to us at retreat a few shows? Considering we were both Euphs, we could've stood right next to each other, shoulder to shoulder practically, and never noticed. Ha ha, that's a small world for ya...

For individual shows, I love:

Madison 75, 88, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, and 04, Cadets '83, Star '85, BD '86, SCV '87, SCV 88/89, PHANTOM '89, I love that show, all the star seasons except '86 and '87, i like them but don't love them, BD '91, Phantom '91, I love SCV's Fiddler, oh Cadets '89, BD '89, Every show in '95. I love Cadets and Phantom '96, BD and Phantom 97 and 98, also Cabaliers '97, then SCV '99 but not BD 99... bull that they tied, in 2000 I liked all the top 4s, especially Cavaliers. Cavalier sall they way to 2005, except their 2003 show, it wasn't that spectacular. Cadets I like in '02 and '04, Crossmen '02, Bluecoats this whole decade. I liked Magic in '02 also, even though it was total BS their placement. SCV did Fiddler in '92 according to my sound files... I love the beggining of their show that year.

As for DCA, I know I coud always go for senior corps, but it just doesn't feel the same. They have a different format, no? Maybe I'll try it later on once i've gotten my degree.

sorry for my bad grammar, ha ha... I just noticed

I should edit this before I post it

It was a pretty fucked up situation with Bluecoats. I left after about a week in. 2004 was the year of a huge staff shake up, and all the people that really gave a damn about anything besides a "product" (save one person) were fired or replaced in one form or fashion. So, after dealing with them for a week or so (and all the camps and whatnot), I left....and was stranded in the middle of Nowhere, Ohio.

Yeah, David Glasgow (the main reason for much rebellion in the corps and the ultimate reason of my departure...as well as the Executive Director of the corps), didn't have the decency to point a kid in the right direction. Whatever.

Regardless, '03 was a hell of a year, and I value all the time that I spent with the corps. Regardless of how it all ended up, I am proud of the year that I spent with them, and I will cherish those memories until the day I do.

But yeah, one of the staff members at Madison looks up to one of the staffers a Bluecoats...and now you see my problem. Boo. No hard feelings anymore, I caught up with Glasgow at DCA finals last year...weird story really. I was standing there watching one of the corps and I hear someone from behind me say my name. I slowly turned around, and it was David (whom I hadn't seen in two years)...and he talked to me as if I had only marched one year and left it at that. It was surreal.

Anyways. Instead of marching with a DCI corps in '05, I became Brass Caption Head of Gulf Coast Sound...a really small corps based in Houston, TX (I was attending the University of Houston at the time). It was a smaller, close-knit group that really felt like a family. The only real difference I saw between DCI and DCA was the lack of sheer rehearsal time most DCA corps can have. What with jobs and whatnot. It's the same standard format, but a lot of it seems to be based on how the fans react. Of course, if the fans love a shittily done show, that corps won't even make finals...but you get my drift.

A lot of DCA corps will perform at smaller DCI venues, as well. However DCI doesn't like to make note of that and thinks of themselves as "Drum Corps" instead of a part of the Drum Corps sport.

Man, I didn't even think about that. I'm all but certain our corps stood next to each other (there were a LOT of shows, haha)...wouldn't that be crazy if we were shoulder to shoulder at some point? That's insane, man.

EDIT: Grammar....damn it. I think faster than I type.

EDIT 2: AND THE 99.15 LAST YEAR WAS UTTER BULLSHIT!!!

Excuse my bad grammar and such in my last post as I rushed through it, ha ha. Talking about corps gets me excited considering I'm starving for some good corps conversation.

Yeah, DCI tends to think of itself as the only corps activity around, and everyone else is just a satellite of it. It sure felt that way when I started marching. I remember seeing some DCA shows and the members all seemed really old, but I bet they weren't that much older than us. Sometimes we'd kid about them being all of the super awesome lead sops in the 80s that never got over the fact they had aged out. They all looked like they were in their 40s and such! This was from studying the Brig's guard at the Hershey show.

I know DCA's marching format and such is very similar to DCI, but i meant tour format. They don't go on an all out extensive tour like DCI (right?) and that's one of my favorite parts of the activity, just being out on the road, sleeping in gyms, practice every day, man I breathe that shit in. I love marching, but the experience of living on tour is just incredible and fun.

Tell me some more about DCA. I don't know too much about it and I might get interested in it, and then I can march in it 2007 or something. They have the Orlando Heat Wave here so I might go over to them, or even Gulf Coast if anything, I just really wanna march again.

It sucks what happened to you in Bluecoats. Maybe Mr. Glasgow just thought he was too harsh on you and wanted to try and get back on your good side to make sure there were no hard feelings. You should've contacted Phantom after you got kicked off, we had some holes that year up until about the 4th of July. They always keep a few holes open a few weeks into the season so they can scout up talent from schools that didn't have the balls or resources to go try out. I know a few people who were just helping out their band directors to house the corps and ended up marching because they were scouted to fill the holes early in the season.

What you just said about Bluecoats happened at SCV the same way, I was told. In 2005 their staff all just upped and quit at one of the camps, the entire staff, and they still haven't recovered from that slump yet! Half their vets left, too, and they scrounged up rejects from other corps at the last minute to get their numbers back. Too bad for them, too, because in '03 they got third and they seemed to be doing better and better every season since. It's been a while since SCV has been one of the best.

You know what I'm getting tired of? Seeing the same four corps win every year... it just gets boring after a decade or so! Back in the day it was anyone's game, now it's more like marching levels and the same three or four groups always win. Basically, the better you get individually the higher up you go in the corps ladder. The kids marching Cavaliers now are just kids who spent 5 years marching elsewhere and getting up to that level now, then they spent one year giving it their all for the damn ring. I'd find it nicer to just stick to one group and actually compete, but that's not how the game is anymore.

Your brother's one of the two lead baris at Madison and he's only 16? He's gonna be a beast in five years. I bet you'll see him doing BD or something. Does Madison still use Gs? I heard they were the only ones left these days. Sucks about Madison, too... you should've come to Phantom after that happened. How old are you, by the way?

EDIT (in reply to your EDIT 2): ha ha, totally...

Cadets getting 99.15 last year was complete bullshit. I wonder how much money YEA put into pulling that off.

If you've ever watched Cavies show live, YOU KNOW they deserves 99.15, maybe a bit inflated, but definately near perfect. Cadets 2005, I don't even think they deserved first place that year. I really think it should've gone to Blue Devils.

I actually tried to switch over to Madison (my best friend called and said that had some bari holes about half way through)...but I couldn't get a release from Bluecoats. Even though it was over between the corps and I, I still needed a piece of paper from the corps saying that the contract was void.

That didn't happen. So I was unable to march anywhere else that summer. Bummer.

As for the same 4 corps winning...it'll probably be Bluecoats who break that. They've been doing better every year since I've been there...hell, one of the corps motto's is "We're gonna win"...(another is "6 words", but that's neither here nor there).

As for my age, I'm 20, so I have one year left. I've been contemplating going back (maybe with Phantom, or Madison, or hell...I wanted to march Crossmen at one point because they're so damn cool) for one final season. It all really depends on money and what I'm doing next summer. Hell, I may just go to a phantom camp for the hell of it. It'd be good to do it again.

I'll dig up some more info about DCA for you...right now, I'm about to head out with MetalHeart and them so I'm a bit pressed on time.

Yeah, my brother's going to be a beast. He'll probably stick with Madison, the way he's been talking...and I can respect that. Oh, and Madison finally made the switch over in 2004.

One last thing for now. The Cavies totally deserved the 99.15!!!

It'll probably be between Bluecoats and Phantom really... according to my chart, they'll end up getting 4th and 3rd respectively, unless Cadets and Boston step it up, or they end up jumping or falling spots. It looks Blue Devils will win this year, but this season's ominously similar to the '96 season!

Maybe they'll finally break the Cadets/BD/Cavaliers/SCV streak, but in the end, all they'll end up doing is replacing those corps and going on their own little streaks.

Either way, as long as Phantom doesn't end up with first place this season, I'll be happy... it'll just be the pits to think that I didn't go and they ended up winning, ha ha... but hey they pulled that in '96, so who knows! THEY BETTER NOT!

You know... I wonder if people will randomly read this and wonder what the hell we're talking about.

Sucks that Madison switched to Bbs... The warm and loud G sound was really what corps was about! I hate how they keep dumbing down the activity... next they'll add saxophones or something

BLEH! That's the day I'll stop supporting DCI.

I'll let you go now, enjoy your outing with MH... she's super fantacular... and she knows it.

I'll let you go now, enjoy your outing with MH... she's super fantacular... and she knows it.

LIES! all lies.

and YAAAY I'm so happy you guys are talking about something you are both passionate about. I would throw stuff in, but obviously I've no clue what's going on, haha.

Haha, I can imagine people reading through this and wondering who the hell we are talking about and what all the acronyms we're using mean.

Sorry, MH, for ditching you for Dowe...but, you know, haha. :poison:

Q: What High School?

A: Miami Southridge (when they still were kicking ass and taking names. that shit is so sad now :sad: )

Q:What did you play/do?

A: Flute in wind ensemble and piccolo marching, so no DCI for me.

Q: When?

A: 1996-2000

Q: I guess you understand pretty much everything we said then?

A: Yes. A few of my friends did drum corps. One has a championship ring. One was drum major. All lost retarded amounts of weight. Also my band director used to be in the Blue Devils and he would go during the summers and help them out still. One yeah I was going to go to a DCI championship a few years back in orlando with some friends but it never happened. that would have been fun.

Archived