Hondo's Bar

MP3 recommendations

The NZA

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Junker, I've already heard most of the songs you've recommended, so I did bother commenting on them. Most of it is good stuff, though. I think this thread is mostly for more underground of up and coming stuff that most of us haven't heard, but maybe I've missed the point. Anyway, while he's hardly up and coming or really underground, I'm gonnna put a word in for Frank Zappa. He's highly underappreciated, and have a great sense of humor and more balls than anyone else in the past 40 years of music history. It's hard to recommend one song, but I like Bobby Brown Goes Down (from which I posted lyrics in the lyrics threar) cause it really inlustrates his kind of sense of humor. I also like Valley Girl, for which I'm going to post the lyrics right now.

As long as IC agrees about this.

I started another thread called "Recommended Pirating" below this one which has been frequented by very few posters. That has sorta been mainly for underground stuff, so if you wanted we could retitle both threads to make one more "mainstream" and the other more "underground" see how it goes.

What do you reckon?  :D

Yeah, I've been reading the other thread too, and I've been picking more mainstream stuff on this one because we kind of unofficially designated it so.  I like the idea.  One thread is for introducing bands, essentially.  The other would be for educating people on bands they think they know about, but have only heard a couple of songs from.  

I say we need more people in this thread though!  What? Only 5 or so members of DD listen to music?  I'd like to hear form people who's musical tastes I dont know very well.

Sorry, only really read this thread.

IC you want more of the same of Chicane style then you should go for BT - Flaming June, Hybrid - Finished Symphony, The Thrillseekers - Synaesthesia, Paul van Dyk - For an Angel.

I heard a really good song on Mtv2 yesterday, it was called Tenacious D - Tribute, Downloading Kaza now to see if i can get it.

Thats about really

I just started getting in to Queensrÿche. I always knew I would like them if I got into them, but I never got around to it (kinda like Yes, I kow I've liked what I've heard, but you just don't get into them for one reason or another). Well, I got around to it yesterday and, as I suspected, great stuff. Been singing along to 'Revolution Calling' since my secong listen. Just though I'd mention that.

Yeah, we'd mentioned Tenacious D on another thread, the 'Shiny Demon :D ' in the video is Dave Grohl, he drums on it too.

"And we played the first thing that came into our heads

Just so happened to be

The best song in the world, it was the best song in the world yayay!!" :D :frontman:

I'll download a few of the suggestions as soon as I can and be back to comment. I have a few of the songs already but not really listened to them, when I get a bit of time...

Moderator Notice:

Check out the other mp3 thread, also pinned, for lesser-known bands, either new, local or defunct.

This thread is for artists who've had at least some success, you'd probably have heard of 'em but may not have checked 'em out...

SOF - in the process of downloadin those ones (BT - Flaming June ive heard & loved, great pick), thanks man.

Ok, for a little variety...

R & B - Craid David, "Rendezvous"

Rap - Nas "One Mic"

If you like those genres or are open to new things, ya cant go wrong...

IC you want more of the same of Chicane style then you should go for BT - Flaming June, Hybrid - Finished Symphony, The Thrillseekers - Synaesthesia, Paul van Dyk - For an Angel.

Holy shit - SOF, next round at Hondo's is on me.

Already had BT & Van Dyk, again good picks on both, but damn Thrillseekers - Synesthasia was pretty good, and Hybrid - Finished Symphony just kept gettin better & better, youre my man here for techno.  If ya hear any more in the same vein, please be sure to mention em here!

Alright then, off the Matrix soundtrack there were many greats, but my fave was prolly Rob D - Clubbed2Death (Kurayamino Mix).  I'm a sucker for ambience in the music, a combination of strings & piano in a techno track like that gets me goin.  Any others along those lines?  Its rare i hear that lately, especially with piano.

Most of that style of techno hasn't interested me much, I usually go for Chemical brothers/Crystal Method type stuff or trip hop.  I'm workin on that Nas song now though.

And yeah, i know I reccomended radiohead already, but dammit, I'll do it again.  My next reccomendations would be "Talk show host" by radiohead, which has been called one of the best b-sides ever made.  It's a complete departure from style, it's a trip-hop song (I keep mentioning it, might as well describe it, trip-hop is typically weird ambient electronic stuff, sometimes with vocals, sometimes not... think Tricky, or Portishead)  

I'd also reccomend "Pull/Pullk Revolving Doors" from the cd Amnesiac.  And if you like that at all "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box" and "I Might Be Wrong."  That stuff is even less like radiohead than talk show host.

Yeah, yeah, that's a lot of radiohead, but the band completely changed, abandoned guitars almost entirely and dropped rock as a genre... If it weren't for the vocals on two of the three amnesiac tracks I listed, nobody would ever guess that was the same band that did "Creep."  DL a couple of these, and you shouldn't be dissapointed, it's certainly something quite different...

Well other cool stuff.

Chemical Brothers - Private Psychadelic Funky Reel

Prodigy - Climbatize,

Prodigy - Narayan Ft Crispian Mills of Kula Shaker

PPK - Resurrection

Delerium - Silence (DJ Tiesto Mix)

U2 - Beautiful Day (Oakenfold Mic)

Hybrid ft Chrissie Hyde - Kid 2000

Massive Attack - Teardrop

Moby - Go, Porcelain, James Bond Theme

Yeah i'll take that round IC!!

It's been eleven hours since the last reply. I think it's safe...

I heard Tricky mentioned. Don't know of his regular stuff, but I do know of his collaboration with Ed Kowalski (or however it's spelled) on "Evolution Revolution Love". For those who don't know, Ed is the lead singer for one of the greatest bands of the 90's, Live. I saw Live in concert (noticed how I avioded saying I saw Live live) last year and at the end of their set, they brought out to sing Tricky's song featuring Ed (Evolution Revolution Love), and Live's song featuring Tricky (Simple Creed). If you like Tricky but haven't heard of either of these songs, check em out.

Side note: If there's ever a band named "In Concert" and they tour with Live, I'm going to be pissed and at the same time highly amused.

For Chiefy - you heard this one yet?

"Rayvon - My bad" ? The best rap/r&b song for trashin your ex since "Eric Benet - When you think of me", funny shit.

Right now, listenin to "Delerium - Silence (Airscape Remix)", Sarah Mclaughlan vocals on a techno track, kinda interestin but short.  Still sad "Dirty Vegas - Days go by" is now associated with a @#$%in mitsubishi commercial.