Hondo's Bar

What make's a great game

Newtype

You must choose but choose wisely  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IC and myself have this kind of talk every time we see each other. He and I are on the same page. So my question to you is what do you look for in a game?

In order for what I look for in a game are:

Gameplay

The characters

Story

and the Music

Without gameplay we have no reason to play a game. Xenosaga II has some real issues when it come to gameplay. It's so bad I don't even what to beat this game. Then you have a game like Disgaea which the Graphics look like late PS1 but has gameplay.

When you play a game you invest all your time in improving/controlling your characters from the start. You grow to like them and when somebody die's who you been controlling from the start your going to be either angry or crying like a little school girl. Take FFVII for example. I don't think there was one person who played this game without being angry/upset or depress after her death.

When the story is so good you don't care about anything else. Take Xenogear/FF IV/VI which the story was so deep and thought provoking that the only thing that had your attention was your T.V. screen. Even if you were out the only thing you wanted to do was go back home an start playing again to see what happens next.

The music. Let's face it. We can be at a friends house or somewhere for that matter, but the second you hear a game tune you not only remember what game it's from but what happen at that point. Take the opera

from FF VI or when Aeris theme song come's on you think back to that part of the game.

im going for music, gameplay, story then characters......

i need only say one thing about game music....

One winged angel... FFVII.....

gameplay, FFVII

Story, FFVII

Characters, more so 8 but still FFVII!!

Hmmmmm.......I'm guessing your an FF VII fan :bored:

yeah, good points again, and way to not spoiler tag that FF VII death, ass.

characters only matter so much, as far as recognition - yeah, i get hyped when i see Solid Snake, but shit sequels like Devil May Cry 2 show that they can only take you so far if the game's not solid, and lets be honest, ive played games with some pretty lame/gay protagonists (lotta platformers) but it was ok cause the level design, bosses and such were fun. I still dont know the names of whoever's in Contra, or Gunstar Heroes or shit like that, but i know it was a blast.

Plot's important if the geren's supposed to be (RPG, horror, thriller etc) but not really needed in platformer, fighter, etc.

I still think music matters if its fitting, and theme songs are fun too (Snake Eater still takes #1 for that for me). I also still argue that Uemtatsu forgot a while back that making good music is cool, fitting it tot he scene is what makes it, and keeps it memorable. The Opera House (or the phantom train, other such powerful FF VI scenes) is, indeed, a great example.

ps FF VII let me down in charcters, a bit. Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth and Cid i enjoyed; Vincent was cool, but i didnt learn enough about him i guess. Barrett got backstory and i sitll didnt care; Yuffie and Cait Sith etc, i dont even know why they showed up, mebbe just to be groupies.

and yeah, FF VIII was even worse at this. My point is, tho: FF VI, if i got into it, every character (except for the last 2 throw-ins) had enough backstory side quests to make them interesting for me.

I got to go with Gameplay and Replay. For a gamer like myself, there has to be a nice learning curve. If its a typical hack-n-slash, it better have some badass story, characters and sountrack to make up for it.

Games like Devil May Cry 3, where you can learn how to manipulate different weapons at the same time is awesome. Switching back and forth to come up with new combos made that game great. However, games like God of War, where its more like a dial-a-combo seem boring to me. But i see why it was such a hit with casual gamers, but not with me.

So it really matters on the type of gamer you are and the genre the game is.

P.S. As much as I liked VI, I found it hard to really fall more most of the characters...possibly because i counld't connect to them with the one little character head-shot. More expressive games like Chrono Trigger, made it easier. But once the era of 3D hit, I was able to immediatly able to say, "This guy's badass" or "he's pretty gay". So it makes quite a difference for me in the world of RPGs. For other games like fighters and stuff, 2D is still my preference. Hence why i tend to not care about graphics...s'long as im entertained.

c'mon, Bishop's huge on gaemply. He touts the x-box 360s graphics, but plays ROMs and such on it too. He's a fan of shitty-graphic 2D rpgs (the really obscure ones) and pushed Psychonauts & games like that pretty hard too...ill soon be playing Indigo Prophecy cause of his praise.

im sayin: he's an MS fan, sure, but that doesnt mean he's not a gamer.

c'mon, Bishop's huge on gaemply. He touts the x-box 360s graphics, but plays ROMs and such on it too. He's a fan of shitty-graphic 2D rpgs (the really obscure ones) and pushed Psychonauts & games like that pretty hard too...ill soon be playing Indigo Prophecy cause of his praise.

im sayin: he's an MS fan, sure, but that doesnt mean he's not a gamer.

That came out wrong. I know he's a big time gamer. I want to know what he thinks. Yeah I mock him a bit for being an M$ fan but I know he's into the gameplay.

As far as final fantasy goes I'll pick FF IV/VI any time over FF VII. Both games had better storys, replay, Some of the best music in any videogame and such a great cast ofCharacters that I'll pick this over FF VII any day of the week.

Yeah, Vice City was a fun game.

Story, graphics and game mechanics all make a great game. I usually don't care about length, as long as the game has these three cores for me.

case in point would be GUN. Just recently bought it for XbOx. I know it's a lil on the short side, from what I heard and have seen so far.

I think this game was a sleeper, for sure. I thought it was the balls.

03.jpg

Wow, go for a couple of days and miss some great stuff.

I agree with most of what has been said here.

You guys have hit a lot of points, and M$ whore that I am I am gonna talk up graphics a bit. Graphics do NOT make a good game. There are tons of awesome games that did not have the best graphics at the time and were still great. Hell I loved me my Saturn, and most games on it looked a lot worse than PS1.

Graphics are an important part of the equation though. I think in a lot of these discussions they have a tendency to get overlooked. C'mon FFVI had AMAZING graphics for its time, as did Chrono trigger. Part of what made games like Shenmue so great was the realism of the world, and graphics played a huge part of that.

I mean, would any of the MGS games have been as impressive and moving if the graphics weren't there? All 4 MGS games were revolutionary graphically, they also had gameplay and story backing them up so it worked incredibly well.

One of my favorite games this generation was Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. It had great gameplay and an immersive world, but part of what makes the game incredible is its graphical splendor. Being able to see miles into the distance from any point in the overworld, having realistic sun, trees, and weather effects really adds immensely to the feeling of immersion.

What we will be able to do graphically with this next generation of consoles will truly be impresisve. Being able to see emotion and eye contact in dialogue in games such as Mass Effect will be great. Not having to rely on energy bars and intrusive bits of user interface scuh as has been done in Fight Night Round 3, can give games more immediacy.

I like the idea of that.

Still, gameplay and story are greatly important. I can still play through my old phantasy star games and love them because those aspects are so strong. Quirky fun games can get by without mindblowing graphics. In that regard, I think Nintendo will do well.

Still graphics have been a great part of the evolution of gaming, and we shouldn't forget that.

PS You still need good art design though, or all the graphical tricks in the world won't save you.

PPS: Please the death spoken of in FFVII is nothing to us old RPGers, I survived through Phantasy Star 2 and 4 and Cosmic Fantasy 2.

PPPS: Yeah Gun is a heck of a lot of fun, try playing on Insane Difficulty if you like pain.

No shiting about Phantasy Star 2 and 4 and Cosmic Fantasy 2 and I forgot the name of this one game that when you beat the final boss you also killed your girlfriend. Turns out her life was connected to his. Then to rub it in she left a note behind saying "I'm sorry I counld't tell you the truth. I knew you would not be able to kill him if you knew I'll die with him. I love you." I was so pissed off that I never played that damn game again.

That game was (Spoiler as if it matters at this point):

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I think it was one of the best endings ever in agame because it hit you hard, and didn't do what was expected.

Phantasy Star II had a downer of an ending as well, awesome as it was, that ending will stick with me forever.

I'm still amazed at how far ahead of its time that game was, the story was leagues ahead of just about anything released in the 16 bit era. The other RPGs simply told theirs with more flair.

Phantasy Star II had a downer of an ending as well, awesome as it was, that ending will stick with me forever.

I'm still amazed at how far ahead of its time that game was, the story was leagues ahead of just about anything released in the 16 bit era. The other RPGs simply told theirs with more flair.

That's true

Some of the old 16 bit era RPG were great. Even after all this time those games are still some of the best. The last few years has been more about flash then anything.

Archived