Hondo's Bar

Anime recommendation thread

The NZA

Anime i watch next  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

upstage me will you.

Set in a universe where men and women are completely segregated (on completely different planets: Mejare by the women, Taraak by the men), the gender wars are more than just a metaphor.

Vandread

The story of college freshman Keiichi Morisato, who, because of his pure heart, has been chosen by Yggdrasil, Heaven's computer system, to receive a single wish. The "angelic" goddess Belldandy is sent down to Earth to ask for his wish, and tells him that he can potentially wish for anything that he wants, from becoming a billionaire to destroying the world in an instant. First, Keiichi thinks that this entire meeting is a prank set up by his senpais, but during their short meeting, he soon realizes that she's the only person who truly understands and appreciates him. Being enchanted by her, Keiichi wishes that someone like Belldandy stay with him forever, under the condition that the offer is valid. Ironically, he does not fully comprehend the outcome of his wish, and is stunned on realizing that Belldandy will now be living with him. The manga/anime follows their relationship as they become closer to each other.

Ah My Goddess!

Edited by newtype

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for some old school anime

Mazinger Z

Mazinger Z is a gigantic Super Robot, constructed with a fictitious metal called Chogokin Z (in the American translation, Super-Alloy Z), which is forged from a new element mined from a reservoir found only in the sediment of Japan's Mt. Fuji. The mecha was built by Professor Juzo Kabuto as a secret weapon against the forces of evil, represented in the series by the Mechanical Beasts (mecha used for evil purposes) of Dr. Hell. The latter was the German member of a Japanese archeological team, which discovered ruins of a lost pre-Grecian civilization on an island named Bardos; the civilization was loosely based on the ancient Mycenae, and was called the Mycene Empire in the series. One of their findings was that the Mycene used an army of steel titans about 20 m in height (compare with the Greek legend of Talos). Finding prototypes of those titans underground which could be remote-controlled and realizing their immense power on the battlefield, Dr. Hell goes insane and has all the other scientists of his research team killed. Except for Professor Kabuto; the lone survivor manages to escape back to Japan, and attempts to warn the world of its imminent danger. Meanwhile, Dr. Hell establishes his headquarters on a mobile island which he sails around on, and plans to use the Mechanical Beasts to become the new ruler of the world. To counter this, Kabuto constructs Mazinger Z and manages to finish it just before being killed by a bomb planted by Hell’s right-hand man, Baron Ashura. As he is dying, he manages to inform his grandson Kouji Kabuto about the robot and its use. Kouji becomes the robot’s pilot, and from that point on battles both the continuous mechanical monsters, and the sinister henchmen sent by Doctor Hell in every episode.

Great Mazinger

The story centers on Tetsuya Tsurugi, an orphan raised by none other than Kenzo Kabuto, the once thought dead father of Mazinger Z pilot Kouji Kabuto. Kenzo Kabuto is the creator of the new, improved version of Mazinger, made by refining his father's Chogokin Z (Super Alloy Z) into a new, stronger form, designed to fight against humanity's new enemy, the Mikenese Empire, led by the Great General of Darkness and his army of Warrior Beasts. Kenzo gives the Great Mazinger to Tetsuya to pilot, who is accompanied by a new token girl, Jun Hono (an orphaned half Japanese, half black girl), in her female robot Venus A.

With the original Mazinger destroyed, Kouji went to America to study space travel and left Japan's defense in the hands of Tetsuya and the Fortress of Science. Both Great Mazinger's and Tetsuya's training are completed just in time to come to Kouji's aid as the Mycene Battle Beasts overwhelm Mazinger Z. Tetsuya battles the Mycene Battle Beasts and even their mighty generals, cumulating in a bitter final battle with the Mycene's military leader, Ankoku Daishogun (Great General of Darkness). After the Great General of Darkness' defeat, the Mycene forces are led by Dr. Hell, the villain from Mazinger Z, back under the guise of the Great Marshall of Hell.

Grendizer

The Vega homeworld is becoming unstable due to the exploiting of Vegatron, a powerful radioactive ore. Seeking to expand his militaristic empire and find a substitute planet to settle upon, the ruthless King Vega unleashes his armies - composed of flying saucers and giant robotic monsters - and turns first against neighbors such as Fleed, a highly advanced but peaceful world. In a tragically ironic twist, the invaders' blitzkrieg turns against them: the once verdant, idyllic Fleed is turned into a radioactive wasteland. Too late, the only known survivor of the royal family, Prince Duke Fleed, manages to steal the Grendizer, a war robot able to combine with a saucer-ship, Spazer, and is equipped with the most powerful and advanced engine designed by the Vegan forces, which was used in spearheading the assault on Fleed.

Fleeing Vegan space by flying at faster than light speed, Duke enters the Solar system and switches course to Earth, making a rough landing in Japan. He is befriended by Dr. Umon, a noted scientist who oversees a research laboratory (called the Space Science Lab) and owns a small ranch. The kindly Umon takes in the young alien as his son, under the assumed name of Daisuke, and assists him in hiding Grendizer. A rough two years later, Kouji Kabuto returns to Japan after studying abroad in a flying saucer he personally designed and built (called the TFO). He heads to the Space Science Lab after hearing of multiple sightings of "flying saucers". He plans to contact the aliens if possible and make peace with them. Daisuke, however, scoffs at the notion and fears that these aliens: the Vegans, led by generals Blaki and Gandal, are ready to attack Earth. Kouji ignores his warnings and flies out to meet the incoming saucers, only to discover the horrible truth. In order to save Koji and protect his adoptive homeworld from destruction, Daisuke is forced to return to his true identity as Duke Fleed. He unearths Grendizer from its hiding place under the lab and launches.

Combattler V

Thousands of years ago, the people of the planet Campbell decided to leave their planet and seek out new worlds to inhabit. One group, lead by the scientist Oreana, landed on Earth, but was delayed from their mission. In the early 21st century, Oreana's group reawakens and begins their plan to conquer the Earth. The only effective defense against the Campbellians' giant biomechanical slave beasts is the super-electromagnetic robot, Combattler V and its pilots.

Voltes V

In 1997, an armada of horned humanoid aliens known as Boazanians invade earth and launch their "beast fighters" all over the world. Their first humiliating defeat by Super Electromagnetic Machine, Voltes V brings the invaders to focus their attacks on Japan. Voltes V was designed by Dr. Kentaro Gō, his wife Dr. Mitsuyo Gō and a their trusted colleague, Dr. Hamaguchi and built by large scale construction effort backed by United Nations Earth Defense Force and General Oka. Voltes V is piloted by Ken'ichi Gō; five "Volt Machines" that comprise the robot are piloted by Ken'ichi, Daijiro, Hiyoshi, Megumi Oka, and Ippei Mine respectively. Kenichi, Daijiro, and Hiyoshi are three sons of Kentaro and Mitsuyo Gō. Megumi Oka is the only daughter of General Oka. Ippei is an orphan cowboy with considerable talent drafted into service.

Voltes V's home base is Camp Big Falcon, a fortress situated on a bird-shaped island along the coast of Japan. Voltes V's enemy are the Boazanians namely Prince Heinell, his advisors Rui Kazarin, Jyangaru and Do Zuuru. The series focuses on the struggle against Boazan invaders, and Gō brothers' search for their long-lost father, Kentarō Gō. As the series progresses, three major characters, Dr. Mitsuyo Gō, Do Zuul, and Dr. Hamaguchi' dies. Zuul and Hamaguchi are replaced by characters Belgan and Dr. Sakunji. Later in the series, the brothers learn of their unique heritage of being half Boazanian. The characters deal with their identity's impact on their own lives and that on both their close friends and bitter enemies.

Quick question for Boogie.

What type of anime do you like or are a whore who would watch just about anything like me?

I'm pretty much like you man... :FHD: I like almost all the genres of Anime.

I don't know, since here there isn't too much market, I can't see my anime on TV. So, I have to dowload it or buy it. Hence I've got my "seasons", where I wach a lot of Anime, and then it could pass like months without watching any. It sucks... I really miss Buenos Aires in that sence, there was a couple of 24 hs channels of Anime with good stuff. The good thing it's that since I came here I saw great improvements in the manga business...

I'm thinking of starting buying the whole Gundam saga, wich it's gonna cost me a couple of bucks and some time finding it on eBay. (Thank god for Lazer!)

Edited by Boogie

alright, then...few more to ask about, ive an arch-nemesis on playstation network who recommended these, with Kino's Journey, thought id ask about em:

Hellsing OAV 1-3 (says itll redeem the series for me, just asking if newt has em)

GunXsword

Boogiepop phantom

alright, then...few more to ask about, ive an arch-nemesis on playstation network who recommended these, with Kino's Journey, thought id ask about em:

Hellsing OAV 1-3 (says itll redeem the series for me, just asking if newt has em)

GunXsword

Boogiepop phantom

I'm going to start downloading Kino's Hellsing OAV and Gun X sometime this week or next week.

for the hell of it, or were you interested in em before? i dont know dick about Gun X or that last one.

Kino's for you

The other are on the bottom of the list till I'm done with the other downloads.

Edited by newtype

so what's at the top then?

also, sell me on GunX, sir.

When you say stuff like what's on top your leaving yourself open for a smart ass remark from me.

Ideon

Black heaven

Black lagoon

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Hellsing

Gun X

As for gun x a friend was telling me it a great show so I'm going to try it out.

Eureka Seven centers around Renton Thurston, the fourteen-year-old son of Adrock Thurston, a military researcher who died saving the world. He lives what he considers a boring life with his mechanic grandfather in a boring town. He loves lifting, a sport similar to surfing but with air as the medium. He dreams of joining the renegade group Gekkostate, led by his idol Holland, a legendary lifter.

An opportunity to do so literally falls into his lap when a large mechanical robot, called the Nirvash typeZERO, and Eureka, a member of Gekkostate, crash into Renton's room. Renton's grandfather orders him to deliver a special part to the Nirvash, which reveals the immense power dormant within the typeZERO. Afterwards, Renton is invited to join Gekkostate, where he quickly discovers that the behind-the-scenes life of Gekkostate is hardly as glamorous or as interesting as printed in the glossy pages of their magazine, ray=out. Only one thing makes it all worthwhile for him: the presence of Eureka, the mysterious pilot of the Nirvash.

The series contains allegories to the Second World War, the subculture and its music, the environmental movement, surfing, and the distrust of the government.

Here's a link to the first episode

Fooly Cooly

The series focuses on Nandaba Naota, a twelve-year-old boy living in the fictional and initially tranquil Japanese suburb of Mabase. Naota lives with his lecherous, perverted father Kamon and his baseball-coaching grandfather Shigekuni at the family bakery and home. He greatly admires his older brother Tasuku (an unseen character), a baseball phenomenon who has gone to the United States to play the game.

Mabase (Mah-bah-seh) is an industrial town physically dominated by the mysterious Medical Mechanica building, which, in the second episode of the series, is shown to have no doors leading in or out. Medical Mechanica is eventually shown to be an interplanetary organization, and it is because of them that Haruhara Haruko, investigator for the Galactic Space Patrol Brotherhood/Stellar Fraternity, comes to Mabase.

Fooly Cooly Episode 1 dub

• 2 years later...

i'm guessing she liked it because that seems pretty fast.. i didn't believe her when she said she reads japanese fast.

Lycaon, she's awesome, but unfortunately she thinks she's too cool to watch the episodes with me. thats why she's stinky.

Edited by spiffytee

• 2 years later...

Bakemonogatari

Bakemonogatari centers on Koyomi Araragi, a third year high school student who is almost human again after briefly becoming a vampire. One day, a classmate named Hitagi Senjōgahara, who never talks to anyone, falls down the stairs into Koyomi's arms. He discovers that Hitagi weighs next to nothing, in defiance of physics. Despite being threatened by her to keep away, Koyomi offers his help, and introduces her to Meme Oshino, a strange middle-aged man living in an abandoned building, who cured him of being a vampire.

The series tends to introduce only one new heroine per chapter, each involved with a different "apparition." Most of them have an item which symbolises their spectres. The events of the previous chapters play an important role in the subsequent ones. The series primarily focuses on conversations between characters; it contains a fair number of parodies of other series, as well as Nisio Isin's trademark word play and metahumor.

So I have been reduced to just browsing BakaBT and downloading stuff that looks interesting, but does anyone keep up to date on Anime these days that could suggest some good ones?

I've recently gotten Beezlebub, R-15, Another, Binbougami Ga, some of the Fate/Stay stuff, and a bunch of others that are names I don't want to try and spell. Haven't watched any yet tho.

• 1 year later...