Hondo's Bar

New Trailers

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled on this while looking for what kinda competition Avengers was going to be up against in it's third weekend.

I don't know who this Panos Cosmatos kid is, but I'm willing to give him and his made up sounding name a shot. It's like Kubrick meets Cronenburg and simply OOOOOZES 70s Sci-fi!

Skyfall looks like more solid Bond badassery. Iron Sky looks like I'll be putting it in my Netflix queue in 3-5 months.

Also, Wes Anderson should just film Bill Murray paraphrasing his movies from now on. Actually, Bill Murray paraphrasing any film would likely be awesome.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
livin' la vida loca

mMr9i.jpg

I think I've read pretty much everything F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote, and I want to care. It's Baz, so it'll probably be stylishly done at least (notice how they don't mention Australia in that trailer though).

A youtube commenter points out the unusual choice in music, and I agree that it probably set the wrong tone.

I dunno.

I think that movie went back in time and made his first two movies worse because I know I used to like Romeo + Juliet and Moulon Rouge more than I do now.

I remember watching Australia and going "oh, well that was a decent, if formulaic, Howard Hawkes style western set in 1940s Australia, but boy this epilogue sure is going on a while. Then an hour later it fucking ended and I felt like chucking a brick at the screen. It's the only movie I ever walked out of to piss.

I read Gatsby in high school and hated it. As a result, I never read anything else by Fitzgerald. The film, visually, looks great though. And it's nice to see Tobey McGuire is still getting the part of the naive young college kid while nearly 40. I might go see it in 3D just for the scenes of 1920s NYC. But like, logans, not sure if want.

Also, good to know Australia is Baytor's bladder's kryptonite.

I have dug everything I've seen of Baz's. I didn't see Australia, but if we can't give people in the film industry even one mulligan, there would be no one left in Hollywood. I relistened to Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen) after watching that trailer and that song, and all the advice in it, still holds up.

Interesting note: This movie is coming out the exact same day (Christmas) as another movie starring Leonard DiCaprio, Quinten Tarantino's Django Unchained. The one sentence pitch: Does for the American slave experience what Inglorious Barterds did for WWII. Also stars Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Christopher Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, and the RZA, among many others. Needless to say, I will not be watching The Great Gatsby opening day. Or I might, but as the second part of a double feature.

For reference I have sat through some godawful movies and didn't leave to take a piss no matter how bad I had to go, titles include:

The Mexican, The Haunting, Old Dogs, Alice in Wonderland, Shrek 4, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, Night at the Museum 2, Madagascar 2, Hancock, and Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant.

For reference I have sat through some godawful movies and didn't leave to take a piss no matter how bad I had to go, titles include:

The Mexican, The Haunting, Old Dogs, Alice in Wonderland, Shrek 4, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, Night at the Museum 2, Madagascar 2, Hancock, and Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant.

The only one of those I actually saw in a theater was Burton's AIW. And since we're sharing theater pee breaks, Bayformers 3 (in the middle of the third-act) was the last time I had to take a pish during a film.

You saw Old Dogs in a movie theater? Was it at least a free screening? Were you being chased by some mob thugs looking to collect on a loan you were behind on paying, and you ducked into the last place you thought they'd look? What was the line of thinking involved here?

• Upvote 1

You saw Old Dogs in a movie theater? Was it at least a free screening? Were you being chased by some mob thugs looking to collect on a loan you were behind on paying, and you ducked into the last place you thought they'd look? What was the line of thinking involved here?

No it was a case of my bitch sister-in-law insisted we go see a movie on Thanksgiving and despite my repeated pleas that we watch Boondock Saints 2 or, really, any fucking other thing we went to a packed showing of that... thing. Oh my fucking Christ if you haven't seen it it's so much worse than it looks.