Hondo's Bar

New Trailers

• 5 weeks later...

Baz Luhrman is a wizard with music choices. If you had told me before I watched this trailer that No Church in the Wild would be featured in The Great Gatsby trailer, I would have said it probably couldn't work, but it does. And that cover of the Turtles' Happy Together towards the end sounds incredible.

Music aside, the movie looks like it'll be a return to form for Baz. I am glad, however, that if one DiCaprio movie was going to be pushed back from Christmas, it was this one and not Django.

If you had told me before I watched this trailer that No Church in the Wild would be featured in The Great Gatsby trailer, I would have said it probably couldn't work

should've asked someone with refined tastes :arty:

i could picture one flew over the cuckoo's nest to shame on a n*gga, possibly shimmy shimmy ya if done right

That looks like it could be fun.

should've asked someone with refined tastes :arty:

i could picture one flew over the cuckoo's nest to shame on a n*gga, possibly shimmy shimmy ya if done right

No Church in the Wild could have very easily taken me out of the 1920's feel that The Great Gatsby should give you, and I'll I'm saying is that it didn't.

w h y

As to the first trailer in the video, I like Hong Kong Phooey a lot, and think that live action version of him is ten times better than the live actions Smurfs, Chipmunks, Marmaduke, Yogi Bear, Garfield or Rocky & Bullwinkle. That said, ten times better than any of those is not enough to get you up to 'good.' Still, while I would bet against this being worth a watch, I think it has an outside chance of being good.

As for the second trailer, I think Marvin is a great character to bounce off of Bugs or Daffy in a 6 minute short. Without them in a feature-length film, with shitty child actors, I'm not hopeful.

But to directly answer Axel's question, because these live action cartoon character movies bank serious cash, especially overseas, which is a bigger market than the US, which was not the case 20 years ago.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I was with the Hong Kong Phooey trailer until they spend 3 minutes making a joke about how dogs drink out of toilets. They're making the same mistake that Underdog did, DONT DRAW ATTENTION TO THE FACT HE'S A DOG. I know that may not make sense because he is a dog interacting with people but that's part of its bizarre charm.

Edited by Iambaytor

Yeah, it would be the toilet scene in the movie would be forgivable, if it was among the only dog jokes, but I'm not to hopeful on that front. But to be clear, both of those (HKP and Marvin) were test footage, not trailers cut from footage meant for the final movie, so, hope spring eternal. I also hope he interacts with humans and no one acts like it's weird. I hope he's still a janitor at the police station. That was a perfect cover for knowing when crime was going down.

I'm glad they went with a real cat for Spot instead of a CGI cat. That was the right call. I hope they maintain spot's role of constantly working behind the scene to correct for HKP's ineptitude. Also, considering that Scatman Crothers is long dead, they could have done much worse of the voice casting, but I can't help but feel that they might have been able to do better.

Yeah, if Spot does all the work and HKP just flails around like a jackass and drives his goofy looking car. And none of the humans in the movie can notice he's a dog, if they do then it just ruins it. Eddie Murphy's voice is a pretty good non-union Mexican equivalent of Scatman Crothers, just be glad it's not Martin Laurence and move on.