Hondo's Bar

Review: Capdown Live!

Just got back from what has probably been the most mental gig I've ever been to.

It was hosted in about a 200-capacity venue so the crowd were practically trampling the band and there were often piles of bodies laying over the speakers. To put it into context how near the band were to the crowd, I ended up headbutting the lead singer's saxophone after being slightly shoved from behind.

I knew it was a great gig because I felt like throwing up at the end from the heat and sheer exhaustion. There was a crazy amount of stage divers, some of which landed safely in the raised arms of the crowd, some of which saw the crowd part like Moses only could of dreamed of and landed painfully on the floor.

Really tight musically, the sound was pretty good considering, and my ears are still buzzing, about an hour after the gig finished. You gotta catch these guys before they play bigger venues.

Mummy, I wanna ride again.... :D :D

Sounds sweet. Ska shows can be something else. I saw Catch 22 and Mustard Plug a few years ago. Like nothing else in the world. Ska is one of the few musical genres where you can see some of the best and biggest name performers without being in a 10,000+ vebue, because it seems like teh whole genre is underground (except for the MM Bosstones and No Doubt, if you consider No Doubt ska). There are tons of people who don't even know what ska is.

Too true JMT. I keep meaning to see Catch 22 live, heard they're menat to be good.

Ska is great. When I go out to rock club nights I'm friends with quite a lot of metallers who go, and its funny to see them clear the dancefloor at the first sound of a brass section, and watch all the punkers invade. It really is a different music scene altogether.

Watching all the ska-punks shank up a dance floor is hilarious. I've been told I'm not half bad at it. I'm not really into the ska scene, and I've mostly gotten into it through some of my friends. Catch 22 is my favorite ska band. Keasbey Nights is an awesome album, every cut of it is great.

"shank", is that how you meant to spell it? I got told the other day it was "skanking", which was a new term I hadn't heard before then. I just know it as the "high knees with arms swinging to make it look like your sort of running and tripping over at the same time" type dance.  :p

Great fun, quite good exercise I reckon. For Ska, I really like Rancid, Less Than Jake, Mad Caddies and of course Capdown. Too cool.

Downloaded 'Time for Change' by Capdown, don't know if it's the best example, didn't think it to be ska though, just punk? Too much trying to put bands in genres :dissappointed:

If there's brass in the band it's ska? By that reckoning RftC'd be ska, don't know about that?

I'm sticking with my REAL ska!

:D >Welcome to the house of fun, now I've come of age! :D

Nope, 'fraid ska has nowt to do with brass but instead to do with the style of guitar play. Its when the guitar notes come out in quick short stabs rather than prolonged thrashing. It just so happens that a lot of those bands feature, trumpets, etc because its adds to the bouncy feel. Sounds sorta like reggae with guitars.

Download 'An A-Political Sound of Reason' by Capdown, bit more typical and is definitely ska.  :D  Oh yeah, and it rocks.  :D

Its when the guitar notes come out in quick short stabs rather than prolonged thrashing. It just so happens that a lot of those bands feature, trumpets, etc because its adds to the bouncy feel. Sounds sorta like reggae with guitars.

Yeah that's what I thought, bad example I guess. Can't find that AA(-p?)SOR but there's one called Ska Wars, sounds a bit more like it!

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've AudioGalaxy, I'll try that 'A-political...' song, probably at the weekend. 'Ska Wars' is alright but after hearing 'Time for Change' I was thinking they'd be better as a straight rock band. ???

I'll hold off on judgement till I get that other song tho...

You called it MLB, I never really took to any file share programs. Wish there was more bandwidth in Ireland, I can only DL in the early hours (not an option cos of work, posting late's bad enough) and the weekend.

As for Capdown, the Ska Wars song sounded very like stereotypical ska, a bit louder though, but Time for Change was just a kick ass punk song, no brass even. I've made up a "Music to be Stolen" list and that Capdown song you mentioned is on there along with a fair few recommendations from about the place, I'll let you know what I reckon at the weekend.

I never really took to any file share programs

Lost my train of thought, I meant that I never really took to any file share programs BEFORE, but I can see myself trawling for tunes from board recommendations and Audiogalaxy's charts. Need bandwidth tho!  :dissappointed: