Hondo's Bar

Spammers

The NZA

spam spam spam  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What im basically asking is - i turned on the "you must copy the #'s in this box" feature and its not keeping them out, apparnetly, so what if i brought back email verification? that means new members cant post until they respond to an email sent to them and click the link, verifying they are who they say they are, or at least took the 2 minutes to sign up for a bullshit yahoo account. In the distant past when we had it on (DD), some people seemed to have a hard time following directions and getting in....anyway, i dont think itd put an end to this, but itd make it a bit harder at least.

what do you think, is it worth it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i havent been around much lately so i dont really count... hah but i think if they go through all the trouble to get an email account and do the verification thingy it might keep some of the crappy spammers away...

and anyone that really wants on here for true hondonian purposes is most likely smart enough to reply to an email verification thing so they can post... if not ... they dont belong... we as a whole( hondonians) are super smarts people!

bah i talk crap sorry i just woke up. but to the point it could work to keep some of the spammers away. so not making the place more restrictive... just harder for idiots to get in?

ok, not a huge turnout, but admin-talk doesnt get the panties off much anyway.

well, against that one vote, im enabling email verification, cause we just hit 20 spammers total, and 3 today alone, and that about tears it for me. We'll see if this at least slows it down; it just needs following a valid email and clicking a link; if that doesnt do it, the last option is to require my OK for newbies to post, which is kinda sad cause then when im gone for days, they sit in limbo, so id rather avoid that.

thats what i figure. i got our contact info all over the place if they have prolbems; tho, ironically, that will do you little good if you are somehow email-less, now that i think about it.

we'll see, ill prolly take it down later; i mean, im greatful actual folks are finding us through google, i just dont want the place overun by spammers 's all. the laughs are good, but 3 in a day?! that's just making it hard for me to figure out who isnt here to sell, uh, whatever.

tho the easy way is to check their profile; if they just posted their username and google for the required answers, its prolly a bot

I say we treat this as the Hondo's Patriot Act: keep it around for a while until the damned spammers leave, and then disable it again until needed.

So we should have access to every members private email accounts so we can make sure they are not spammers, or in contact with suspected spammers?

With every spammer, check out the myspace friend number. It's the SAME ASIAN DUDE. Or at least the last three I checked.

343334_m.JPG

http://myspace.com/143040

I have a secret hobby, I look through Myspace bot's friends list, and double joy the ones who leave glowing comments of praise. Some of them are clearly in love. It makes my life seem so much better.

I say we treat this as the Hondo's Patriot Act: keep it around for a while until the damned spammers leave, and then disable it again until needed.

yeah, man...way to sell the idea. :eh:

anyway, it seems to be working: 3 spammers, and none can post yet cause they arent trained to verify their emails yet. i hope this doesnt keep any less-techincally inclined out, or discourage new folks, but yeah, ill leave it on for a while, then take it down later (see how many sign up in between) and see what happens.

alright, so these cunting spammers are still getting through; i guess theyre follwoing the email validation, which is annoying. were still looking at several a day...

yet, there's new valid members here & there too. the trick, again, is in their profiles: newbies have to answer a few extra things, like "how did you find us?" "name" etc and they always seem to answer with either their username or "google".

So..again, i could make it so i personally have to validate you before you post, but we all know im not here all the time, so that holds up curious newbies who forgot about the place before they get through. Im thinking ill just not allow in members awaiting validation who are clearly spammers, and cuntlog the ones who get through the cracks. If anyone has a better idea or disagrees with this practice, lemme know, this is new area for me.

i mean, seeing the member # rise is almsot cool, but 20+ spammers? it makes me just want to delete the whole group, but im still not comfortable with that.

• 2 months later...

Archived