Hondo's Bar

Spammers

The NZA

spam spam spam  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's already gotten an FHD from Archangel... I'm not even sure that's legal for a troll.

some people are just into unnatural love

I Don't see why it hould be illegal. Troll or not, he is a member (of Hondo's Bar).

Trolls need loving too!

Indeed. Do we have a Best Troll catgory for the Hondo's Awards? This guy'd be almost certain to win.

• 2 weeks later...

New system seems to have worked; i was gone a week, and around 30 spammers were unable to post...success!

My only fear is that the 4 or so newbies tried to make town square threads and couldnt, so i gotta figure that out.

7,500 spam mails to hondosbar.com in the last 30 days alone. Im thinking we'll break 10,000 easy by '07.

New system seems to have worked; i was gone a week, and around 30 spammers were unable to post...success!

My only fear is that the 4 or so newbies tried to make town square threads and couldnt, so i gotta figure that out.

Maybe a pinned thread in Town Square witht the title: "New users read this before posting"?

you know, that's a really good idea, Ly. ok, soon as invision gets back to me on the moderation queve that i cant find, im gonna do just that.

Well, I am a genius (modest, too), but I can't claim complete credit on that. A lot of forums I've been to have done that. The only thing about that, is a lot of people introduce themselves there, instead of starting their own introductory thread.

Im still messing with it. id still like to go back to having newbies post new threads here instead of one more thing to confuse them, but its working so far...

Also, i banned email addresses from all the popular spammer places, so weve seen a good drop in the last few days, this week shoudl hopefully continue that.

Did some homework tonight - were not nearly alone; spamming forums is like a new epidemic. I cant imagine anyone still has guest posting on...but found a few things:

1) These fucks come from all over.

2) There's a lot of money in it. i hate that site.

3) often, there's humans involved, as in, some of its bots, some of it is like sweatshops, basically paying people to get past all the CAPTCHA (boxes you see when you register for stuff that makes you copy text/#'s back).

so, there's still options, like this plugin, which'd make our registration form have harder boxes to copy, like this:

captcha_example_2.gif

...but then the next version of the board has:

1) limited admin access: Jax and Ray-Ray could help me keep the spammers out, and the newbies in.

2) Supposedly, i might be able to change the text/images that people have to run with to finish registering, this could make it way harder on the bots.

Again, were gonna be taking it as it comes for a while, but i think were doing way better these days.

Archived