Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

On 1/13/2018 at 10:47 PM, C_U_SPACECOWBOY said:

It's free for Amazon Instant Video for Prime members right now.  Its also out on bluray/dvd but I don't know if it's on any other streaming service right now

This looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the recommendation as this one flew completely under my radar.

NZA's brother gave me six months of MoviePass for Christmas, which is an AWESOME gift (I can watch one movie a day, in most theaters!). I'm gonna watch so many movies I probably wouldn't have shelled out 12 bucks for otherwise! Today, I saw I, Tonya.

I,_Tonya.png

I was pretty hyped for this one, given the award buzz it received. Sadly, it didn't live up to that hype. I think the problem here was that it fell victim to its format. They recreate these insane interviews with people involved in "The Incident." That part is fine. But then they also have Tonya talk into the camera during actual scenes in the film as well, almost always during important, heightened emotional scenes. It completely takes you out of the moment and does absolutely nothing for the story. It's just too much fourth wall breaking. The movie is also WAY too long. I found myself feeling bored leading up to and after the climactic scene we were all waiting for. 

Margot Robbie and Allison Janney are phenomenal in it and deserve all the accolades they're getting. This was a smart move for Robbie. She could very easily have gotten pigeon-holed into boring pretty-girl roles (like the worst Hot Topic version of Harley Quinn ever written). But her performance here shows some serious chops. I am very interested to see where her career goes from here! 

• Like 1

callmebyyourname.jpg

Making the most of my MoviePass! I saw my second movie this week alone, trying to prepare myself for the Oscars. I saw Call Me By Your Name, which is a coming-of-age love story starring Armie Hammer and newcomer Timothee Chalamet. 

This movie is a slooooow burn. I found it difficult to relate to it at all for the first hour and was honestly a little bored. It's about a young man and his wealthy, multilingual, cultured-as-fuck family living in Northern Italy. It was rich people doing rich people things, and there wasn't nearly enough tension between Chalamet and Hammer to keep my interest.

But when things get going between the two men, it becomes a different film entirely. There is a universality to what they're experiencing. Falling in love, with all its uncertainties. Lust. Longing. It's emotions we've all felt and these actors are so talented, it's like they make you feel everything right along with them.

So yeah, it's artsy as hell even in the way it's scored and edited. There's lots of talk of music, art, poetry, etc. It really does take for-ev-er to get going, but it's worth the ride in the end. When the credits rolled, not one person got up from their seats for a few minutes. From the sniffles, it seemed like we all just sat there crying for a bit. I heard someone whisper "Wow..." I haven't really stopped thinking about it since.

• Like 1

damn...yeah, that one & Florida Project are on my list of ones id like to see from this year's oscar list, i know i'm forgetting others but i'm seeing why you've been saying this was a really great year for film!

i also really liked what you were saying about how it's a gay love story that's not about terrible things happening to them, cause i freely admit, that was my assumption based on what little i know of this.  it's like...the unrequited love angle of romantic stuff, amplified by, you know, family ostracization, external violence & the like. 

• 4 weeks later...

Annihilation.... It was ok? I don't know if I liked it or not. I wish they pushed the horror aspect more. It had some incredibly scary scenes. I just didn't like the writing and there's something about Natalie Portman that I just don't like for some reason. I dunno. I feel bad for not liking it more.

It was very Lovecraftian though which I loved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Axels said:

Annihilation.... It was ok? I don't know if I liked it or not. I wish they pushed the horror aspect more. It had some incredibly scary scenes. I just didn't like the writing and there's something about Natalie Portman that I just don't like for some reason. I dunno. I feel bad for not liking it more.

It was very Lovecraftian though which I loved.

I'm on the fence about watching this one and it's mostly because I also have a tough time with Natalie Portman. I can't put my finger on why but she irks me. It's like she's always trying too hard. Black Swan was an exception but I tend to find her grating. 

Hmm. I have a few more months of free movies so I might catch this one just cuz I can. 

Yeah I mean, I actually am quite fond of her as a person. I just don't like her in films. I think it's her voice? You're probably right about her trying to hard too. Her face always seemed forced in a "determined" expression. Eh, I hate to be so critical, cause she seems super cool. 

Definitely see Annihilation in theaters though, cause despite my criticisms A) You might like it alot more and I'd like to hear other viewpoints B) it is fucking gorgeous to look at C) Jennifer Jason Leigh is awesome

I still need to see Black Swan. I only hear good things, and it's mostly aimed at her performance. 

1 hour ago, Axels said:

Definitely see Annihilation in theaters though, cause despite my criticisms A) You might like it alot more and I'd like to hear other viewpoints B) it is fucking gorgeous to look at C) Jennifer Jason Leigh is awesome

I still need to see Black Swan. I only hear good things, and it's mostly aimed at her performance. 

I think I will see this soon! 

And you should absolutely catch Black Swan!! It's my favorite Aronofsky film, by far. NZA hadn't seen it either so we watched it a few weeks ago and he really enjoyed it as well!

Edited by Donatella

Annihilation was surprisingly cookie-cutter and ridiculously glacial in its pacing. It was acted well and shot beautifully, but ultimately it's a film that reaches for heights of cinematic metaphorical greatness but falls very short of its goals.

Game Night was a surprisingly solid adult comedy that didn't rely on improve and has hilarious, well formed characters that actually have a story arc. It's also shot wonderfully.

The_Florida_Project.jpg

this was...great, but rough 

it's really well shot (and takes place in my home state! donny recognized a number of the spots), and the acting is mostly solid too - haley & her friend were rough at parts, but the children were great - moonee in particular was outstanding at some parts.  william dafoe just goes around effortlessly dafoeing his ass off as well

the juxtaposition of the children's lives & proximity to disney (but clearly being on the other side of the tracks from it) is sometimes overt, and sometimes less so in really interesting ways (the safari, etc).  it culminates in an ending i didn't see coming, and have been thinking about a bit a day later too

it's one of those ones people will talk about and ill nod and say it was indeed good but i don't think i'd watch again

kinda both?  like, it gets you emotional, but also once is enough

they're not at all similar, but i only watched requiem for a dream,  what dreams may come or films like that once & loved them but can't imagine wanting to revisit the more painful scenes 

which is admittedly weird cause ill watch eternal sunshine of the spotless mind a dozen times 

On 2/28/2018 at 12:44 PM, Drifter said:

Yes, I can see why it was, indeed, the Darkest Hour...

bahahha, great find mate. WHen I did some reading on Churchil rather than what they preach, I was quite horrified. Started a famine in Indian than japed "they breed like rabbits and deserve it anyway", created the Black and Tans to terrorise the Irish. Even think the firebombing of Dresden was his idea. He was proper bloodthirsty, wanted to invade to Soviet Union as well. I think it it wasn't for Chamberlain (who has a horribly unfair reputation) constantly postponing the war we would have never been prepaered in munitions and aircraft to defend ourselves in the Battle of Britain. For me, my defining hero of WW2 for the UK is Alan Turing. I really enjoyed The Imitation Game - have any of you seen that? 

Edited by Lorelei

Twilight_Samurai_Poster.jpg

this was one of those i meant to check out forever ago - i wanna say i was down on what i'd seen for it not being very action-heavy, as it's more drama than anything...but the feel is right out of a side chapter of Lone Wolf & Cub.  it's just really well done overall. 

0XyuKkR.jpg

I saw this earlier today and really loved it. It's a dark comedy-thriller that the trailer called a cross between Heathers and American Psycho (absolutely accurate). It's about two Rich White Girls who plan the murder of one of their step-fathers. What I loved about it was that nothing on screen overstayed its welcome. The dialogue, the music, the length of scenes, etc. Everything felt...tight. And tense as fuck. It was just very well executed. So disturbing. I think, at the very least,  it'll become a cult classic among angsty misanthropic (possibly bloodthirsty) teen girls.

It was also nice, and sad, to see Anton Yelchin in one of his final roles before the freak accident that killed him in 2016. Wiki tells me he died 14 days after production wrapped on this movie. Ugh...I loved that guy.

Also, Olivia Cooke was FANTASTIC in this and I'm a little less salty about her being cast as Art3mis in Ready Player One...(but only a little).

Edited by Donatella