Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

It was pretty damn fantastic I thought.

I'm glad you liked it, but I was really hoping for a little more...

Connectivity to the first LEGO MOVIE. I was so let down that they never cut to a real parent and child playing Legos together at some point in the film. I even stayed until the end credits hoping it might be a coda, but nope. :( Speaking of end credits, this film also fell way behind the last one in the soundtrack department. Everything about the LBM OST was not awesome.

And in my defense they did hint at this being in the same LEGO-verse as Emmett and co. from the first film: Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern were all done by the same voice actors, Gotham city was said to be nothing more than "two overlapping plates over and endless abyss that smelled like dirty underwear," (Is all this is likely taking place in the basement next to the clothes hamper?) and during the big battle scenes the gunfire was mixed in with people making "pew-pew" type sound FX. After all that, the fact I never saw Will Arnett in a cheap Batman mask playing Legos with his kid cut in somewhere in the film was a big bummer.

I definitely thought we'd get more jokes, one-liners, and all around screen time w/ Batman's rogues gallery. The Sauron and Dalek bits were funny, but too much of them at the expense of some Riddler, Penguin, etc. lines was another bummer.

And my final critique are the voices of Joker, Harley, and Commissioner Gordon. Zach Galifinakas (sp?) sounds good on paper, but just didn't really do it for me as the Clown Prince of Crime.

However, what I really liked was...

Pretty much everything else. The in-jokes to the history of Batman on film and TV--though they did gloss over all his animated incarnations--were fantastic. Batman's "family" was all excellently voiced. I need a Michael Cera as Robin short film on the DVD/Bluray. Rosario Dawson and Ralph Fiennes were also expertly cast. And the fact Fiennes did NOT do the voice of Lego Voldemort made me laugh.

And as I mentioned before, the plot was a bit weak but Batman's personal arc was great. And even though there was no coda with real people playing Legos, the all sing-along during the credits was pretty good. It reminded me of the end sequence to another comedy that had a fantastic Michael Cera role: This Is the End.

• 1 month later...

Just got out of Beauty and the Beast. I really enjoyed it. Basically it was a shot for shot remake with some minor story stuff getting straightened out for the better. If this is where the other live action Disney films are headed then I'm completely happy with this.

• 3 weeks later...

eb942c9cbc8ed36658e504c738e9e102.jpg

Arrival - Pretty damn good. Is slow overall, but still compelling as hell. Love the twist on alien invasion films.

ghost-in-the-shell-trailer-1.jpg

Ghost in the Shell - Pretty damn MEHjor, amiright, Axels? First American live action to TRULY capture the convolutedness and over-the-topness of Japanese anime. In that respect it was a success. The rest is pretty damn blah. It's pretty to look at tho.

Power_Rangers_(2017_Official_Theatrical_Poster).png

Power Rangers - More meh. Not horrible, but also not good. Can skip, but maybe Redbox?

Ghost in the Shell - Pretty damn MEHjor, amiright, Axels? First American live action to TRULY capture the convolutedness and over-the-topness of Japanese anime. In that respect it was a success. The rest is pretty damn blah. It's pretty to look at tho.

this is exactly how i felt about the anime (OAV) and manga in the day, too...nothing from the franchise stood out for me until Stand Alone Complex. so yeah, it sounds like a fair adaptation, haha.

are there any tachikomas?

Yeah GitS was boring as hell. Like I almost fell asleep, and I never do that during a movie. If thats as close to the anime as people are saying then I wont even bother with it. Sucks cause Scarlett Johannsen is better than these emotionless roles she gets handed.

are there any tachikomas?

The film does everything to give GitS fans the GitS goods. Some scenes are taken straight from the anime which is cool. Still, the film is slow and pointless as shit. The ending redeems it a bit, but by that point, you're just glad it's over so you can not be in the theater anymore.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099
  • Upvote 1

Not modern movies but the gf and I decided to catch a couple movies on Netflix this weekend. The first one "Circle" I wanted to see because I have a very specific type of movie that I love, and that's: Strangers trapped in a room together. Think things like, Would you rather etc. It wasn't a bad movie per se, actually I enjoyed the social commentary of it but jesus fuck the ending ruined the rest of the movie.

We also caught Burying the Ex, which is not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's fun the way Idle Hands is fun.

Arrival - Pretty damn good. Is slow overall, but still compelling as hell. Love the twist on alien invasion films.

Power Rangers - More meh. Not horrible, but also not good. Can skip, but maybe Redbox?

Yeah, ARRIVAL was a real surprise for me. Great plot and overall storytelling is done with this film.

GITS: I almost saw it this weekend, but passed in lieu of waiting for the Tuesday "discount: night at my local theater for the reasons you stated. I wanna see a pretty movie in IMAX 3D, but it's a film I've already seen, so the plot and "twists" don't have much allure for me.

• 3 months later...

Atomic Blonde. It was... disappointing. I was expecting kind of a crazy, John Wick style action movie, but it relied way too heavily on a confusingly dull plot that did too much superspy stuff. It had some brutal and well done action to be sure, with fun 80s soundtrack stealing the show (it takes place right before the fall of the Berlin Wall). But there was just too many dumb twists and the middle of the movie really slogged. It felt like a bunch of different kinds of movies competing with each other with a really weird and forced ending. I dunno. Others may like it more, and I hope they do. I want more female led action flicks with people like Charlize Theron cause she is pretty awesome.

Man, that's a bummer to hear about Atomic Blonde. Valerian is another film I was looking forward to seeing but got absolutely horrible reviews. *sigh* I'll probably still see Valerian this week for a matinee though because Luc Besson.

Quick rundown of most of the films I have seen this summer:

Chasing Coral - A+

Wonder Woman - A-

Spidey Homecoming - A

Guardians vol. 2 - A-

Big Sick - B

The Hero - B

Baby Driver - B+

Dunkirk - B

Alien Covenant - B-

CHiPs - C

Incredible Jessica James - C

War for PotA - C+

King Arthur Legend of the Sword - C+

PotC Dead Men Tell No Tales - C

It Comes at Night - C

Bayformers 5 - D

• 2 months later...

Sat down an watched Gerald's Game last night as well. Great little flick. Really well shot and well acted. I can't remember the last time I was so squeamish in a movie. There was one scene in particular where I literally held a pillow up over my face and was screaming "GAH! GAAAAAH!!! Nuuuooo, noo, nooo, nooo, NOOOOOOOOO!!".

Also if you're a fan of King, it's strewn with little references to King's other works.

All things serve the beam....

• 2 weeks later...
  • The NZA unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

MV5BMjg1NDY0NDYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzIw

Took myself to a movie today and finally caught Lady Bird. I have heard nothing but stellar reviews for this and was glad it finally came to a theater close to me! It's written and directed by Greta Gerwig, who is one of the more famous filmmakers associated with the mumblecore genre. 

Lady Bird is a simple but beautiful coming-of-age story that also touches on mother-daughter relationships and adolescent friendships. Saorsie Ronan is phenomenal in this, as is Laurie Metcalf (Jackie from Roseanne!). I can't wait to see how this fares during award season. I'd throw tons of metal at it. It's funny, heartbreaking, sweet, just overall a really good time that actually feels worth your time. 

Edited by Donutella

jim-and-andy-the-great-beyond-netflix-77

A Netflix original doc - "The Great Beyond"

(sigh)  I'll just sum it up w/ - if you dug 1999s "Man on the Moon", this is fascinating...entertaining...thoughtful...and extremely interesting if you're into the 'process' that sum actors will go through wanting to 'give it their all'.

I love Jim Carrey - hilarious dude - coincidentally, 'The Truman Show' and 'Man on the Moon' are flicks I personally just...really understood / connected with.

Honestly, it's a pseudo 'Jim Carrey' doc - but, you're gonna see a Jim Carrey you've never seen before.

Jim-Andy.jpg

Both of those films, Lady Bird & Jim&Andy are on my must see list. Especially eager to catch Lady Bird as Saorise killed it in Brooklyn.

I saw Murder on the Orient Express this weekend. I expected a bit more suspense, but I liked it enough. Branagh gives the film this kind of light, 1940s vibe tonally. The CGI buildings and train looked great for a new video game, but stood out a wee bit too much as CGI. Michelle Pfeiffer was the surprise performance for me in this large cast. I don't think it's strong enough for her to get an Oscar nod, but maybe a Golden Globe nom. Overall I'd recommend it for home viewing if you like a lighter mystery.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1508793077726_9Yg7xGmVtUDl6W3dUFjM5kOGyW

Jesus Christ...just finished Brawl in Cell Block 99.  It takes its sweet time to get going but GOD DAMN the last 20 minutes or are a kick in the fuckin' teeth!  Definately a throwback to 70's era exploitation with some elements of a western dashed in.  Also, it has some of the most cringe inducing instances of violence and gore that I've seen in a long time.  Not for everyone, but I really dug it!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY
Added poster
  • Thanks 1

I'm down for whatever S. Craig Zahler does from now on.  Really wish he hadn't cast Mel Gibson in his next movie because that's going to be a whole thing now but I'm sure the actual movie will be great.  I need to get his novels but they're pretty expensive right now, he also has an audio horror play that I'm curious about that stars Wyatt Russell.