Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

2 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

Olivia Cooke played Emma on Bates Motel and was awesome on that. As a matter of fact, her acting blew me away so much that I was surprised she wasn't in more stuff and I sincerely thought she was going to be a force to be reckoned with in future Hollywood. What's your beef with her?

No beef with her personally! She is incredibly talented. Her performance in Thoroughbreds was superb. I agree that she should be in way more movies/shows. She definitely caught Spielberg’s eye so that’s something. My beef is this:

I had to grab my copy of Ready Player One off the shelf just to be sure I was getting this right. This is how Cline describes Art3mis’s avatar. 

8Mqck98.jpg

And when he sees her IRL, he says she looks just like her avatar. “She has the same Rubenesque body.” 

It is incredibly frustrating to have these literary characters described as fuller-figured and then have Hollywood cast thin actresses to play them. Especially when their figures set them apart in the story. It happened with John Green’s Paper Towns when they cast Cara Delevigne to play a character also described as curvaceous. 

Teen girls (and boys) deserve to see all body types on the big screen, ESPECIALLY as the love interest.

This was a shameful missed opportunity.

• Really Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BE5F1jz.jpg

I had a little bit of a bone to pick with this movie before even seeing it. In the trailer, Simon claims to be an ordinary teenage boy with "one huge ass secret." Then he states, "Nobody knows I'm gay." 

It's 2018, do we really need another coming out story? Do gay teens really need to see characters feeling terrified, ostracized, and having what should be a normal and accepted part of their lives (coming out) be this obstacle that needs to be overcome?

I've seen critics call this movie "groundbreaking" and "trailblazing," but it should not be either of these things at this point!! I felt Call Me By Your Name was trailblazing because it was a love story about two gay men where there sexuality was just accepted by everyone they loved without question or conflict. So we were able to just focus on their connection. THAT is where we need to be right now. Homosexuality should be normalized because it's fucking normal

THAT BEING SAID...

When I got over my personal feelings about the subject matter, Love, Simon was actually a really beautiful story. It's a teen romcom that is legitimately funny, heartwarming and very entertaining. I was bummed when it ended because I knew this was one I'd wanna see again real soon. With my MoviePass I'm still seeing movies for free for a couple months, so I may catch this one again before it leaves theaters!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Axels said:

jNZlNdx.jpg

Wow. I was expecting a goofy, violent japanese gore movie. And while I got that, it was also surprisingly touching and quite beautiful actually. It's on Netflix fo those interested. 

Is this the one they showed on the Joel McHale show?

11 minutes ago, Donatella said:

BE5F1jz.jpg

I had a little bit of a bone to pick with this movie before even seeing it. In the trailer, Simon claims to be an ordinary teenage boy with "one huge ass secret." Then he states, "Nobody knows I'm gay." 

It's 2018, do we really need another coming out story? Do gay teens really need to see characters feeling terrified, ostracized, and having what should be a normal and accepted part of their lives (coming out) be this obstacle that needs to be overcome?

I've seen critics call this movie "groundbreaking" and "trailblazing," but it should not be either of these things at this point!! I felt Call Me By Your Name was trailblazing because it was a love story about two gay men where there sexuality was just accepted by everyone they loved without question or conflict. So we were able to just focus on their connection. THAT is where we need to be right now. Homosexuality should be normalized because it's fucking normal.

I agree that's the goal but I do think coming out is a big hurdle for a lot of queer people, particularly men and boys because even in a more accepting era the spectrum of men who are attracted to men are still marginalized and treated as gross or perverted.  I mean, yeah, the ideal goal is to have queerness be normalized to the point that a character being gay is as insignificant as a character being straight but I think this certainly could be a landmark film for a lot of closeted boys and men who are struggling with their identities.  I too want to see more normalization but you've got to admit we've come a long way from Brokeback Mountain.  We're still not as palatable to mainstream audiences as (conventionally attractive) lesbians but it's a big step in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Iambaytor said:

I agree that's the goal but I do think coming out is a big hurdle for a lot of queer people, particularly men and boys because even in a more accepting era the spectrum of men who are attracted to men are still marginalized and treated as gross or perverted.

I can definitely see that. I just don't know how not to be frustrated that we need a film like this (I'd like to rush gay acceptance along a few decades but that's unreasonable). But I am happy it exists and that it might help our LGTBQ youth. When I think about it, we have had many coming out stories in movies and on TV but more often than not it's a subplot of a bigger story. If we haaaave to have a stand alone story, this one is pretty damn good. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got outta Rampage. I'm gonna go ahead and say, that was the best video game based movie ever made. It was big and loud and dumb. The acting was cheesy as fuck and the dialogue was pretty terrible. And that's what made it so damn fun. It almost went over into parody territory, but felt more like an homage to old monster b-movies. Every performance was hammed up to 11. Plus the monster action was really cool. Lots of money shots and great fist pump moments. It was just a blast. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Waiting on NZA to see Rampage, but I did catch this one today:

aBzEdZA.jpg

So I thought the premise of parents trying to stop their teen daughters from having sex on prom night was silly and potentially offensive to women, but I wanted to see where they went with it. I thought they had a chance to teach an important lesson and was curious to see if they would.

This movie was pretty hilarious. I had a lot of fun with it. My expectations were super low, which I'm sure helped. It's a raunchy teen sex comedy that uses some gross-out humor, of which I'm not a huge fan but didn't mind too much here. I wouldn't recommend paying to see it in theaters (I saw it for free!), but if it's ever on Netflix or something, give it a shot!

So about that premise...we had teen sex movies decades ago with films like Fast Times and Porky's, and we saw a resurgence of it in the 90s with American Pie. These movies were often very problematic for women. So when I saw the trailer for this, I groaned a little at the idea of parents trying to "protect" their daughters' virginities as though it was this sacred thing, a hideous double standard that really annoys me. I wanted to see if they'd made some important commentary here. And they actually did! Ugh, I want to say so much but it would be spoilery. I will just say that it's a good film for parents AND teenagers to see and learn a bit about the importance of girls having agency over their own bodies. 

There is also an LGBTQ storyline that is handled beautifully. This movie was surprisingly refreshing. 

• Like 1

^ After watching the trailer I was ready to ignore Blockers and write it off. However, my friend took his 16-yr-old daughter to see Blockers and said they both loved it. Along with  that review by @Donatella I'm gonna have to give it a look on home video.

Saw A Quiet Place last week and loved it! It's my kind of suspense film, not much gore, with solid acting, pacing, drama, and direction. It's also a nice bit of world building that leaft me really hoping Krasinski & company come back for a sequel with a bigger budget. 

Also saw Isle of Dogs tonight and really dug it. I'll post about it in the film's actual thread.

• 4 weeks later...

WSiYuYc.jpg

So the original version of this movie, with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell is one of my mom's all-time favorite comedies. She's seen it a hundred times. So when they announced this gender-swapped remake (why they felt it was necessary, we'll never know), I knew I had to take her to see it.

So, this movie is actually more enjoyable than I would've imagined. Has some genuinely funny moments and isn't boring, but is not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. I'd probably give it like a C+.

It has a strange choice for a male lead, given he's supposed to be this hot rich playboy but is played by a guy pushing 60 alongside the much younger Anna Faris. Oh, Hollywood... Apparently, Eugenio Derbez is a big deal Mexican actor. A few years ago Variety called him the most influential Hispanic male in the entertainment industry. But I'd never heard of him till this, and I do watch a lot of Mexican cinema (Inarritu, Cuaron, Del Toro, etc)! For what it's worth, I think Derbez did a good job. He was pretty endearing, all things considered.

What I absolutely LOVED about this movie was that the rich character comes from a wealthy Mexican family. I am SO annoyed by movies where we see Hispanic friends/family alone together and they're speaking broken English. I always shout at the screen, "Why aren't they speaking Spanish to each other?!" I know it's because American audiences don't respond well to subtitles, but this movie didn't give a fuck about that. Whenever the Mexican family or groups of Hispanics were together, they spoke Spanish or Spanglish and it was subtitled. It felt much more authentic, and was great representation for our people! Wish it'd been in a better movie, but I'll take it!!

• Upvote 2

yeah, really blows my mind how far we've come in the last decade or two...again i  remember living in texas & watching crouching tiger and having people groan & leave when subtitles came on, one lady even hollered "IF I WANTED TO READ IDVE PAID FOR A BOOK"

so yeah, seeing more accurate representation is cool. like, even my gringo ass can tell when (shows more often than movies) skimp and hire dudes who clearly don't really speak spanish

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

Before Narcos on Netflix, I can't remember the last time I saw a show or movie really go back and forth between two languages so naturally. Is this what you're talking about @Donatella?

Exactly that! It was essentially a bilingual movie. Even the “gringa” main character understood and tried to speak Spanish to her Hispanic friends. It was really cool to see! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Pulse (Kairo). A little dated at this point visually, but I think that helps the creep factor of it. The first half of the movie is definitely scary as fuck and probably has one of the best horror endings I've seen. This is one that's gonna linger with me.