Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Dumb protagonists ALWAYS ruin serviceable horror.  One day I'd love to see a film from the perspective of a slasher where dummies are the villains. 

All of the quiet place spoilers within

Pedro nailed it with the waterfall.  I mean,  an hour into this sumbitch and I'm thinking any means of creating a constant sound like running water,  would keep these fucking things at bay(off the top of my head,  an irrigation system or,  and I grant you this would be tricky but dropping an interconnected system of rusty chains,  constantly moving would serve the same purpose.  

And do let's talk about the logic of distributing news papers with industrial machinery to notify everyone that the things are attracted to sound.  Or how none of the dozens of ways in which sound has already been weaponised, has been tried against these things. 

Also I feel like using torchlight to communicate in the dark should be day one shit. Would have made that last section a lot less harrowing.   

And I say this as a parent,  but that four year old who couldn't get with the program after three months(an eternity to a kid)  bloody deserved to die. Alright that was over the line. 

Honestly we saw the dumbest,  hammed up death since Anakin's mum,  and ending it with the cocked shotgun...

Axel framed it up best by comparing it to a dumb monster movie,  and in that field it excelled.  I was looking forward to something quasi-silent that supposedly used sound in a really inventive way(paraphrased from a review). 

One more thing: 

IF MOUTH NOISE IS NOW REDUNDANT,  TRY COVERING YOUR FUCKING FACES WITH KERCHIEFS OR SOME SHIT.  ALSO MAYBE START KNITTING SOME NINJA BOOTIES IN BETWEEN MOBILES FOR YOUR BABY COFFIN YOU FUCKS. 

And PS : apparently cicadas, nature's crazy frog,  survived the event.  They could be of use maybe?! 

Edited by Jables

Just watched I, Tonya. I wanted to see this in theaters. For some reason it was one of my more anticipated movies when I had seen previews. I wasn't disappointed! That was a damn good movie. No one really to root for here, but I gotta say I was more team Tonya than anyone else. And Allison Janey totaly deserved her award. She was a fucking monster, and I barely recognized Sebastian Stan here. Just really entertaining all the way through.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:44 AM, Axels said:

Just watched I, Tonya. I wanted to see this in theaters. For some reason it was one of my more anticipated movies when I had seen previews. I wasn't disappointed! That was a damn good movie. No one really to root for here, but I gotta say I was more team Tonya than anyone else. And Allison Janey totaly deserved her award. She was a fucking monster, and I barely recognized Sebastian Stan here. Just really entertaining all the way through.

Yeah, when I saw this in the theater I had no idea that was Winter Soldier/Bucky as Jeff Gillooly. The whole cast delivered great performances. I forget the name of the guy who played Gillooly's friend, but he was hilarious.

Saw Action Point tonight and it was awful. I was expecting a fun,  raunchy 70s style comedy in the vain of National Lampoon or Meatballs, but it was not even close to those films. I also thought way more of the OG Jackass crew would be in the film, but it was just Knoxville & Pontius. And pretty much all the real "stunts" they did were in the trailer. I recommend giving this one a pass. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 5:03 AM, Axels said:

Just got out of Upgrade. This is seriously the best Venom movie we could hope for right now guys. Just pretend Stem is the Symbiote and Logan Marshall Green is Tom Hardy. It fucking works.

I was shocked to discover that infact wasn't Tom Hardy, and just figured he was putting all his eggs in the 'augmented physiology with a side of Siri' basket.

Got MoviePass, so it's my goal to see pretty much every film I can in the theater before they go under. Here are a few quick takes...

Rampage: i like a good dumb popcorn film, but this wasn't one. please do not pay money to see this.

Upgrade: solid sci-fi. felt like a really great episode of Black Mirror. 

Ocean's 8: i love a good heist movie and the casting is pretty epic, but I found it unfunny, poorly paced, and all around disappointing. watch Logan Lucky instead.

TAG: i expected a fun, dumb comedy and it delivered. the end was even surprisingly heartfelt.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from Overlord and I liked it alright, but I still felt a bit disappointed by it. My expectations were a bit higher here I guess than other recent movies. I think it took itself a bit too seriously, and it definitely took too long for it to get to the fun bits. I wish they had gone with a more comedic Evil Dead tone, cause when they start exploring the horror stuff it is introduced with some fairly goofy body horror. Still, it's a cool Wolfensteiny movie. 

• 4 weeks later...

Two outliers tethered to big franchises: Venom & Solo.

Both were charming to me for weirdly the same reason: They both reeked of the 90's. 

Venom had to be set in San Fran for obvious reasons but the scenery and backdrop took me straight back to the Vs Spiderman & Separation Anxiety SNES games, and certainly the buddy-cop tone and additional characters support this feel. That cameo at the end was great, but so damned arbitrarily inserted.

Solo pulled in hallmarks of 90's expanded universe lore. There's reference to Teras Kasi, Sabacc and probably plenty more that I didn't notice because I'm not that knowledgeable. Donglover needs a Lando movie ASAP, which has probably been said a bunch. 

There's a lot to be said for going into movies with low expectations...

• Upvote 3

On 12/4/2018 at 9:39 PM, Jables said:

Two outliers tethered to big franchises: Venom & Solo.

Both were charming to me for weirdly the same reason: They both reeked of the 90's. 

Venom had to be set in San Fran for obvious reasons but the scenery and backdrop took me straight back to the Vs Spiderman & Separation Anxiety SNES games, and certainly the buddy-cop tone and additional characters support this feel. That cameo at the end was great, but so damned arbitrarily inserted.

Solo pulled in hallmarks of 90's expanded universe lore. There's reference to Teras Kasi, Sabacc and probably plenty more that I didn't notice because I'm not that knowledgeable. Donglover needs a Lando movie ASAP, which has probably been said a bunch. 

There's a lot to be said for going into movies with low expectations...

Three things:

1. Totally agree that going in to both films with lowered expectations greatly helped my enjoyment of them. Venom was definitely much more of a mess in my book than Solo yet it made twice as much at the box (international) than Solo, so what do I know. Meh. I will say that Solo becomes more enjoyable each time I see it (3x now). The groan-worthy, eye-roll moments are more easily glossed over on repeat viewings thanks to the performances and pacing. 

2. WTF are the "obvious reasons" it had to be set in San Francisco? Please explain it to me like I was Joel--using Broadway musical numbers while dressed in various Flash costumes.

3. If I were a rich man I'd pay to fly you out here just to call Donald "Childish Gambino" Glover "Donglover" to his face.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

It's his material,  the donglover thing?  It wouldn't be the awkward you're expecting but it would get in the way of my gushing.  

Obvious reason for San Fran is that some of Eddie Brock's most important moments happened there, at least a couple of the mini series and certainly the games!  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...