Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Finally got around to this.

The%20Proposition%20Poster%281%29.jpg

I watched this and Bronsonlast night. Talk about a violently bleak double feature. I give Bronson a B & The Proposition a B-/C+.

And I really want to see The Tempest directed by Julie Taymor and starring Helen Mirren. Taymor made her name w/ making fantastically unique adaptations of Shakespeare. Making the sorcerer Prospero a female isn't new (Vanessa Redgrave did it on stage ten years ago) but after seeing Mirren kick ass in R.E.D. I'm eager to see what kind of ass she can kick as a sorceress.

I thought bronson was a load of cock...

I'd never heard of this guy before the film. It's a fascinating psychosis. I'd have liked it if the film would've gone into a bit more about how exactly this guy can be pronounced "sane" by the British gov't, but I'm pretty sure the director was going for the ol'--"there are no answers here, only observations" take on the man.

What did you think of The Proposition? I was disappointed, especially after reading Ebert's glowing review. It was bleak and violent, but it just lacked that certain something. It's a good premise, great setting, and intriguing characters on paper, but all three lacked in execution.

This week I watched both Tangled and Tron Legacy. Both pretty great.

Saw both in 3D. While both have pretty good 3D effects, Tron Legacy is way too dark most of the movie for the 3D to make up for the lost luminosity, so I'd recommend seeing it in 2D do appreciate the details of the world of the Grid. Tangled was obviously brighter, but I still don't think the 3D did much for it.

Saw Tangled with the wife; it was good but...

I hate how poorly they re-edit movies nowadays. I'm talking really apparent. Did you know the way they originally shot and edited the first Men In Black movie that there was suppose to be a huge hullabaloo about an intergalactic war between the bugs and the tiny aliens? The entire situation was suppose to be THE Casablanca analogy, but Spielberg thought that was too complicated and cut it (and changed the huge expository subtitled dialogue about the war to "so how's the kids") and it worked. Now we have this crap, like in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, they even said it in the trailers, there is a huge WAR coming, but that was too complicated so it is now: she's an evil bitch, gotta kill her, you're the chosen one. Then they leave in half the footage because they shot it and we have a bunch of post-medieval bad guy wizards apparently buried in a bunch of civilizations that just happen to be over two thousand years old. What a fuck up. And now in Tangled a quarter of the footage in the trailers aren't even in the film and from the discrepancy I'm betting there was a major plot change because they cut out at least three things.

1. Ryder was out of and back into the tower at least one more time that was shown in the film

2. Ryder and Rapunzel fighting in the tower

3. Somebody had some magic ray being flung around

I'm betting they cut the plot that the evil step-mother probably had magic and that Rapunzel's hair was probably prehensile instead of just her using her hair-fu. Fuck it, end of rant.

Edited by Drifter

It's actually the big new thing for movies to do scenes specifically for the trailer, Black Christmas is the worst offender in that almost none of the footage from the trailer appeared in the actual film, in fact the scenes in the trailer (which were mostly death scenes) weren't even vaguely alluded to.

the-warriors-way-movie-poster.jpg

damn fun movie. kinda cheesy, but charming and action packed

I actually watched this twice in the theater. First time was on a whim with my girlfriend and a friend of her's that was in town, and I knew very little going in, which is strange in and of itself for me as I tend to keep abreast with even the most obscure films.

The entire time watching I was looking over my shoulders to see if anyone else was struck by the surrealness of the film. I felt like somehow, upon entering the darkened theater, I had slipped into some alternate reality. There are SO MANY disperate elements thrown together in this film that by all rights it should be a complete disaster. It is SUCH an incredible trainwreck of a movie but I mean that in the best possible way. Throughout the movie I asking myself "How on EARTH does this film exhist!!"

Seriously, this film is a diamond it the rough. It has a warmth and heart that are hard to explain and made me forgive some of the downright BIZARRE elements. It's like some twisted gory fairy tale. At times it evokes The Matrix, and then in another scene it evokes Gone with the Wind.

And to those of you that I have to appeal to on the lowest common denominator I can sum the movie up in one sentence.

"Ninjas vs. Cowboys vs. Clowns"

It that doesn't get you in the theater, nothing will!!

Also......

black-swan-poster.jpg

Saw Black Swan last night. Incredible, and also fucking TERRIFYING! I am convinced Aronofsky is some kind of psychic vampire who has devised a way to suck people life force via celluloid. Black Swan, like all of his movies, left me emotionally exhausted. I had high expectations going in and I can say they were surpassed by wide margins. Wolverine is going to be fucking incredible!!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY