Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Disney's Jungle Book (2016)

the-jungle-book-7591.jpg

I'm a mega fan of Walt Disney's animated films - I really appreciate 'em. Jungle Book (1967) was the last animated feature Walt laid his mitts on (he died during production). The end of an era - when I heard they were doing a live-action adaptation...I was wary. Why? There are already several live-action adaptions of the book - in fact, I think WB (?) is currently working on one...(shrugs) leave it alone. I haven't seen the live-action Cinderella or Maleficent - but I'm assuming they did well enough to warrant more attempts at these 'remakes'.

Then that trailer - whooooa...got me so pumped! It looked like a faithful recreation / re-imagining of the animated feature...not some book-accurate ultra-real reboot. The trailer hinted at the return of the classic songs / music...it looked like a legit live-action version of the original feature - totally exciting! Wanted to see this in the theater - but I just couldn't get over myself to go. Bought it on blu yesterday - (Day One!) and I've seen it twice already.

If you know and love the Disney classic - it's full of nods and moments that really, only enthusiasts would get n' appreciate.

That opening effect w/ the multi-plane camera - the original's theme playing during the first establishing shot - some scenes / images are pulled straight from the original...and faithfully recreated (jaw-dropping) - the Dixie Land tunes...found out later they actually brought in Richard Sherman (a classic-Disney music songwriter) to collaborate in updating his original scores / songs - the freakin' original book(!) on blue velvet cameo at the end (confirmed it was pulled from the archives on the special features)...just great stuff.

You can feel the love and respect for the original. For those who've only seen it once or twice as a kid - or not at all - somehow, it'll take you back. It has that 'classic-Disney' charm that is pretty much gone today...but everybody knows that charm / that place. A spectacle for the eyes, colorful, exciting, fun, kinda dark / scary moments - it's a solid ol' skoo' Disney piece / work of art.

It's visually outstanding - if you're into all that 'I-want-to-know-how-the-sausage-is-made', the blu only has 3 featurettes, but it has a feature commentary. 2 of the 3 are, m'eh - but there is a solid one that covers filming, mo-cap, animation n' voice-acting. Plenty of Bill Murray and Christopher Walken footage - LOL

I'm looking forward to the sequel (already confirmed to be on the way) and anymore live-action adaptions of Disney's animated library. Preferably, stuff w/ anthropomorphic animals. I think Little Mermaid has been confirmed to be on the way - a live-action Lion King would be crazy...as long as they are faithful re-tellings, I'm so onboard. (I had such high hopes for Tim Burton's Disney's Alice in Wonderland...what the hell, man?)

Yeah - I'm officially hyped for the upcoming live-action Rescue Rangers movie.

live+action+rescue+rangers.png

I hope the people in charge have a love and passion for the property like Favreau had for Jungle Book. Cater to the fans n' respect the source material - I really hope they hire someone who understands and respects the IP and the people who make the IP valuable in the first place. The casual will follow if the project is solid in it's own right. Change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing - I don't want Monterey Jack reimagined into a homosexual walrus w/ a relationship w/ Zipper, who is now a squirrel...it's lazy and transparent. (Am I racist now?)

Michael Bay's TMNT is a perfect example of an IP being in the wrong person's hands. No love and contempt for the audience - they just see dollar signs. "It's a stupid movie w/ turtles - grow up."

I hope it generates a renewed interest in the Disney Afternoon. Imagine a live-action Gummi Bears or freakin' Gargoyles...by someone who gives a shit...wuuuuuuuuuuuut!

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

sin-city-a-dame-to-kill-for-poster3.jpg

I've been dying to see this. I absolutely love / am obsessed w/ the first Sin City movie - it's such a...work of art. I've never seen the damn sequel on the shelf on it's own - only the 3D / blu / DVD bundle. Finally nabbed it as a solo release, it feels like a weaker animal - but a totally fine companion piece. A nice extension - more tales from the world of Sin City. I'd be happy to watch more tales - even if they go straight-to-video, like this kinda feels like.

Eva Green...wow. Perfect casting choice. Good luck escaping those eyes, my god...

sin_a.jpg

Batman v Sup - took me two viewings of it to make it through (I fell asleep the first time). The thing that upset me the most about this movie is there's actually a good movie somewhere in there - but WB just got their cocks all up in it and just ruined the fucking thing. Hey DC- you're beating marvel in the summer comics market. Maybe its time to "rebirth" your films.

The Conjuring 2 - fuck. just. so good. better than the first. James Wan needs to do everything forever. Keep an eye on him, you're gonna see his name popping up a LOT more soon I'd bet.

Well, considering he is directing Aquaman, yeah. Don't know if he can unfuck up the DCCU, but I'm looking forward to seeing his take for sure.

Yeah I know - with him attached Aquaman has the potential to be the winner of the DCCU - the one that people go to and say - well at least this one movie was great...and its fucking Aquaman. Maybe if it does well, DC will re-prioritize going forward...

...but who am I kidding. They won't

...The Conjuring 2 - fuck. just. so good. better than the first. James Wan needs to do everything forever. Keep an eye on him, you're gonna see his name popping up a LOT more soon I'd bet.

Really? I loved the first film. However, I started watching this tonight and I got so bored I tapped out after an hour or so and just began reading about the real case online. This was a mistake as it's killed any modicum of interest I had in the film's outcome. Marilyn Manson nun was creepy AF though.

I liked Conjuring and Insidious a lot, and I'm not a big horror genre fan either. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for Conjuring 2 last night. I might try to finish it one day. What's the consensus on Insidious 2 though?

Went to see War Dogs the other day. The trailers really sold this short as I went in expecting a buddy comedy of errors, but ended up seeing a film that balanced funny and serious very very well. One of the better films I've seen all year.

A good way to ruin that film is read the Rolling Stone article it was based on.

They never made that gun run through Fallujah nr anything like it. They knew from the get-go the ammo was Chinese. Narrator guy never had a wife or kid and sold guns on his own after getting screwed over by the Jonah Hill character--no moral epiphany as in the film. He was only slightly less a scumbag than the Jonah Hill character in real life.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I liked Conjuring and Insidious a lot, and I'm not a big horror genre fan either. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for Conjuring 2 last night. I might try to finish it one day. What's the consensus on Insidious 2 though?

Loved all of them. I really dig that a lot of his work in those movies is more subtle. Can't wait for him to get working on 4.

I finally watched the Roger Ebert doc LIFE ITSELF. It gets real and pulls no punches covering his tumultuous relationship with Gene Siskel, his alcohlism, and his final days of his life dealing with his debilitating cancer. It also showcases all the many joys of his life and everyone from critics to top directors talk about their realtionships with Ebert. I can't recommend this doc enough.

I've seen sum doc on Film Critics, in general. I've always wondered if he was a critic who's reviews could be bought. I think my impression was, yes. Now I wanna know if any famous film critics have been busted sucking ass.

That's a topic they actually cover in the film. I wasn't being hyperbolic when I previously wrote this doc pulls no punches.

I just caught Life Itself on Netflix. Man, that shook me up.

When I got news that my jaw bone was essentially rotting and immediate action was required, I was afraid I'd lose my chin or a good portion of my jaw. I had horrible freakin' nightmares. What happened to Ebert...That. Sucks. I really felt for him. That is sum shitty-ass, rotten luck.

I admired that he appreciated the fact that he was going out, 'eyes-open'. Like him, I can also say I have an obsession w/ death and this...unsettling at times, intimate awareness of the fleeting gift that is good heath. I was surprised how close to home this doc hit.

I was expecting more on the culture of film critics - it just barely touched on the fact that he rubbed elbows w/ a lot of the producers and film makers whose success hinged on his 'thumbs up'. I've seen a great doc on Netflix that covered the transition from traditional film critics (the print days) to the internet boom...can't remember it's name...this is still a good doc, but more on the man and his impact - than on film critic culture. Again, it's good - but no lie, it really shook me up. Took me back to my days in the 'here today, gone tomorrow' biz. Felt really squishy and mortal at the end.

743558017-c2c3a33a0756c1601775c8c44e34dd61.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I had to kill some time yesterday, so I caught SULLY at the theater. It's exactly what you think it is, but it turned out to be more emotional than I'd anticipated. It's all about how when people are at their best things can work out rather miraculously. So much focus is brought about on what, how, when, and why things can go wrong that it was nice to see a film dedicated to the people in NYC who got something so utterly right. Definitely catch this one when it hits video.

• 2 weeks later...

220px-Magnificent_Seven_2016.jpg

I went into this with lowered expectations, and I got what I expected. It was entertaining enough and worth watching, thanks mainly to a charismatic cast. D'onofrio is almost unrecognizable (in a good way), Denzel is basically playing his quiet badass Equalizer role but as a bounty hunter in a Cowboy hat, Pratt has some good one-liners, but Ethan Hawk was the standout performance for me. Fuqua is a mediocre director at best; he had a chance to do something really spectacular magnificent on film, but apparently that's beyond his capabilities. I'd say if you were a fan of the genre it's worth theater dollars as there hasn't been a good Western out in a long time, otherwise catch it when it hits video.

Caught a screening tonight and it wasn't bad. Not perfect, but the best Burton film I've seen in a while. And in true Burton fashion, this is a kids movie that's probably too scary for kids.

And, yes, this is X-Men without the X-Men.

Unfortunately it's a low bar when talking bout good Burton films in the past decade or so. Anyway, I like what I'm reading here. I don't know much about this past a trailer I saw ages ago and the basic premise, but I'm going to see it this weekend with moderate expectations.

Spent the weekend playing CIV 5 and watching documentaries on superchillin.

Doc of the dead: About zombies. Good, but theres some real eeeh moments in there. Campbell shows how much he is weirded out by his fans in it.

Lego: A brickumentary: Lego propaganda at its finest. Worth a watch

I am Chris Farley: Pretty good and made me care for an SNL actor I didn't think was as fantastic as people said.

All things must pass, the rise and fall of tower records: Never thought about how this company reflected the rise and fall of music. Worth a watch

Spock: About spocks relevance to society at large. I'm not a huge trek guy but I really liked it.