Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

For-the-Love-of-Spock-trailer.jpg

For the Love of Spock is a 2016 American documentary film produced by 455 Films and directed by Adam Nimoy. Narrated by Zachary Quinto, the film looks at the life and career of actor Leonard Nimoy,[1] and his iconic character Mr. Spock.[2] It includes interviews with cast, crew and people connected with Star Trek, fans at conventions, as well as personal memories.

For the Love of Spock received positive reviews from critics. The film currently holds a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes[31] and 74% on Metacritic.[32]

Lance Ulanoff of Mashable, said in his review that "There’s no way to fit 83 years into a rather fast-paced 100 minutes. As a consequence, huge swaths of Nimoy’s life and career are mentioned all-too-briefly … This doesn’t diminish For the Love of Spock. Instead, it keeps the narrative more firmly focused on Spock himself, and Nimoy’s emotional connection to his craft and those around him."[33] Frank Scheck in his review for The Hollywood Reporter said about the film, "That actor Leonard Nimoy lived a rich and full life is made vividly clear in Adam Nimoy's loving documentary about his father and his most famous, iconic role."[34] Sarah Lewin of Space.com said that "The documentary explores the fans' love both as a destabilizing force in Adam Nimoy's life and as a powerful statement of the character's universality. Indeed, besides Spock and Nimoy himself, the fans are the third main character in the film."[35] Max Burbank of chelseanow.com said: "Loaded with archival stills, restored original footage, interviews with original and reboot cast members, family, celebrity superfans …, scientists … and astronauts, this is the Spockfest everyone wanted, a claim for which there is empirical evidence."[36]

• 2 weeks later...

Sully.png

My mom wanted to see a movie and she ADORES Tom Hanks, so we checked this out tonight. I've been so out of the loop with movies, I didn't realize this was an Eastwood movie. It's a slow burn, but man does it ramp up and make you feel all kinds of things. I have a fear of flying and this was so realistic, I felt a little panicky at some points. I was sitting there watching Tom Hanks's performance and trying to pinpoint what about him makes him such a great actor. I think he's mastered the art of subtlety. He can portray so much just with his eyes, or a shift in breath or subtle movement, it's kinda of incredible to watch. He has such...restraint.

The reenactment scenes will blow your mind. At one point, I didn't even realize I was crying, I was so into it. But man, Eastwood is getting preachy AF in his old age, and it gets a little annoying here at points. But all in all, I'd say worth a watch!

• 1 month later...

Last movie I saw in the theater was Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them. I thoroughly enjoyed it in all it's IMAX 3D glory. I'm a fan of Rowling extending her wizarding world or "Potterverse" via film. Apparently there are six more movies to come in this franchise that's a prequel tot he Potter films and books.

I also re-watched Ian McKellan in the fantastic film Mr. Holmes. The premise is a 90-yr-old Sherlock Holmes living in a world where he's a real detective and a celebrity, basically our world but if Homes was not a fiction created by Doyle but based on a real guy whose adventures were published by a real Watson. Anyway, it involves Sherlock's "last case" and Ian McKellan was robbed of an Oscar back in 2015 for this. Robbed, I say! He didn't even get the courtesy of a nomination. See this movie!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished up 'Finding Vivian Maier' on Netflix.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a doc about sum dude who found some undeveloped film rolls - that ended up leading him to a stash of thousands...all by one person. A complete unknown who was clearly gifted...and kinda nuts. Put in 10 minutes - ya can't pull away.

I also saw 'Floyd Norman: An Animated Life'...also on Netflix.

FloydNorman.jpg

It's a doc about the first black artist to work for Walt Disney. It covers his entire career, which spans decades and the wide spectrum of 'classics' in our culture that he's had his mitts on. I've known about Floyd - amongst his admirable qualities, is that he refuses to let anybody sensationalize the fact that he was...'the first black'...even Disney. "It didn't matter."

A 'trouble maker' that this doc covers greatly.

Still goin' strong and still an artistic asset at Disney @ 80 years old.

floyd-norman-feat.jpg

525467514_960.jpg

87602-full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Passengers with JLaw and Chris Pratt. It's a very safe, by the numbers film, but the two leads are so damn likeable I didn't mind it at all. The ending was a bit cheesy and vague as well. Only three other characters are really in the whole movie--one is a surprise so I won't spoil it. I'd grade it a solid "B" in the sci-fi/romance genre, of which there are far too few films.

Just finished up 'Finding Vivian Maier' on Netflix...

It's a doc about sum dude who found some undeveloped film rolls - that ended up leading him to a stash of thousands...all by one person. A complete unknown who was clearly gifted...and kinda nuts. Put in 10 minutes - ya can't pull away.

This sounds interesting. I'll definitely add it to my Netflix queue. The Floyd Norman one is already on it. Looking forward to seeing both.

• 4 weeks later...

Promised some friends I'd wait to see SPLIT w/ them, so I saw The Founder instead. The direction and editing really hurt the film and made it fairly boring. There was a guy in the theater who fell asleep and snored through a good 20 minutes. The origins of the empire are interesting and there are a few good performances from Keaton and Offerman. Those factors make it worth a look once it hits video/streaming later this year though.

• 2 weeks later...

Lego Batman Movie was. . .not as good as I had hoped. I really liked the first Lego Movie, and this one just didn't have the same oomph. I still enjoyed it and thought the overall arc for Batman was maybe one of the best ever in film (only slightly being hyperbolic here--it was a damn good emotional journey for the Dark Knight) but the humor, plot, and some of the voice acting choices were meh at best.