Hondo's Bar

The Lyrics Game

OK, that was "I Alone" by Live. That was not a hard one guys! somebody had better know this one, since it's only from one of the greatest songs our our generation.

"I know some day you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star, in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why, why can't it be, why can't it be in mine?"

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Web searched this one too and I'd never heard of it, I would've maybe had a chance at one of the band's singles but (at least over here) it's just an album track.

I wanna play and I do want a challenge but can't we just make it a bit easier without being ridiculously so, you know, be conscious of whether bands will be known on both sides of the Atlantic, make sure it's a known song by the majority, etc.

Anyway, game on...

Black was never a single, but it got tons of radio play over here. In fact it's now played on radio station more than Alive, Jeremy or Evenflow. Alright, going for somethign big on both sides of the atlantic. OK, I know this one was big in the UK:

"I'm uselss, but not for long, the future is coming on."

Uh...I think its called "Hurt like you" by Linkin Park, right? Might have the name wrong. Here's one for SOF if he sees it first:

"How many corners do i have to turn?

How many times do i have to learn,

all the love i have is in my mind..."

"...but I'm a lucky man..." - The Verve. Don't even know if SoF checks out this thread...

The Linkin Park was 'Crawling', though I wouldn't be surprised if the whiny bitches did bring out a song called that! :D

An easy one again:

"I was swimming in the Carribean, animals were hiding behind the rocks,

Except for little fish, but they told me east is west, trying to talk to me coy koi"

A song broght to my attention via the greatest movie of all time, Fight Club, the song is "Where Is My Mind?" my the Pixies.

By the way, the European music scene must be really fucking schewed from ours if Black by Pearl Jam and I Alone by Live are obscure, but a Pixies song isn't. Let's see if this band is considered big across the pond:

Six o'clock TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers. Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn. Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate. Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down. Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier. Renegade steer clear! A tournament, tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

If you don't get it, KOS, one of the US members will.

I think this thread has become an interesting lesson in which songs are standard here in the states and obscure overseas. It's fasinating. Well, not fasinating, but at least mildly interesting.

I checked to see if I was right, I didn't know the lyrics off but it seemed like the right tempo for REM-End of the World..., I was fairly sure with the 'uh-oh' bit anyway.

I knew a fair few of the people on the board knew the Pixies, especially that from Fight Club, Pearl Jam had a few singles here but were never as popular as in the US, and I'm not sure if I've ever heard a Live song!

Another one from the end of a film:

"Mega, mega, mega, going back to Romford, hi mum are you havin' fun, on your own you're on your way to a new adventure, hey...."

Underwolrd - Born Slipppy, from the ending to Trainspotting. Great song from a great movie. In the same vein:

"baby got a fleet at sea,

and a submarine,

called emergency,

she got a motorcade,

she got a monarail,

going coast to coast, on a campain trail..."

Wow, talk about a song I NEVER would have gotten without researching. It's Atom Bomb by Fluke. Who's that? And KOS, listen to "Lightning Crashes" by Live. If you haven't heard that one, then you're right, you've never heard a Live song. Great band though. You should definitely look into them. Their 1994 album "Throwing Copper" is one of the best albums of the nineties. Every song is insanely good. Anyway:

(Yeah, sing a song bro'...)

If the sun refused to shine

I don't mind, I don't mind

(Yeah)

If the mountains ah, fell in the sea

Let it be, it ain't me.

(Well, all right)

Got my own world to live through and uh, ha !

And I ain't gonna copy you

Yeah (sing the song brother...)

Now if uh, six uh, huh, turned out to be nine

Oh I don't mind, I don't mind uh ( Well all right... )

If all the hippies cut off all their hair

Oh I don't care, oh I don't care.

Dig.

This is a bit vintage but, hopefully, well-known.

It is "If 6 was 9" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

At this point I'm basically testing things out to see what people actually know compared to I think everyone should know:

What I've felt

What I've known

Never shined through in what I've shown

Never be

Never see

Won't see what might have been

Seems funny to hear it called 'classic rock'. I mean, is Nirvana 'classic rock'? I think classic rock, I think Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, the Who, heck, even Guns N' Roses is classic rock to me, but not the band that recorded the song I posted lyrics to. Maybe I'm in denial. Does this mean I'm old if song I remember when they were new are now 'classic rock'? At least I don't remember when song that are now considered 'oldies' were new.

Ok, ive left Jack's rock ones alone so far to let others get em, but this one's takin too long...Unfrogiven by Metallica, if memory serves correctly. Here's one for m'friend:

"dog man and the king of snake

mongoose and the king of snake

dog man and the king of snake"

Underworld. I think it's just called "King of Snake"...not sure. My friend listens to them.

Ok, here yeh go:

"She kissed me softly on the lips

She took my hand without a sound

This was our happy ever after

So motherfucker kiss the ground"

-Your Local "I miss my old CD's" Dirty Gypsy

Good call, Gypsy. Cant quite place yours yet, argh...ok im makin this interestin, cant get this one outta m'head today, so here's another in the meantime while we figure out gypsy's:

"I belong..in the service of a queen

I belong...anywhere but in between..."

Dammit ya didnt catch the one i was handin you in time...ok ill go a bit older but more universal:

"I have stood here before, beside the pouring rain

with the words running circles all aroud my brain

I guess i'm always hoping that you'll end this reign

but it's my destiny to be the ...."

Nope, another I don't know! At this point you're probably wondering how I'm even a moderator on music! Well here's one you probably won't get:

"They hibernate but have they kissed the ground

Pucker up and kiss the asphalt now"

It was a decent hit here and the band is American so I have given you a fair chance, it's not just my revenge for my own musical ignorance!