Hondo's Bar

HeArTLeSs BItCh RevIeWs

Heartlessbitch

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, that's odd, most people love finger 11 upon hearing em, onyl song of their I don't like much is "Drag you down," stuff like quicksand, above, and broken words usually get people into em, eh well, diff strokes for different folks.

I'm dling some Idlewild songs right now, I'll post what I think.

I've also been getting into a band called Ozma that weezer has been touring with for the last two tours.  While they sound a LOT like weezer, they're still pretty good, catchy as hell, choice cuts are Battlescars, Natalie Portman, Domino Effect.

"There's battlescars on all my guitars but still I come out here and play, there's battlescars on my face and my arms but you still kiss me every day..."

Oh and this is more of a plug for my friends... but I think they're a great band despite the fact that i know em.  

Twice the Sun, a local miami band that just got signed to Roadrunner records, they're actually really good.  They are an industrial, perfect circle-ish band, for a local band they're pretty good.  Best songs are Reach Out, Self-Control, and Into a silence.

Did you get a chance to listen to those Idlewild Junker? Did you like em, which songs did you download?

MyLeakyBucket, if you're reading here, I got hearing the new single on their website, not as strong as Little Discourage as an album opener, wasn't sure at the start but it's one of those sleepers that grows on you.

No good bands anyomore? Get out there people, ya gotta dig a little to find some special stuff. You wasnt soem amazing recent debuts here ya go,

Electric Soft Parade- Holes in the Wall

Incredible melodic-rock with some electronica chucked in for good measure.

Rival Schools - United by Fate

Singer of 'Quicksand' leads new rock band, taking emo to a new level. Listen and love.

Lost Prophets- Fake Sound of Progress

English metallers with attitude. Most of 'em don't drink and they would beat POD to death with their own crusifixes.

People, don't give up, look not to the charts, but to alterantive radio, good magazines and word-of-mouth. Go forth and find, scavenge and download, just DO NOT give up.

Rant over.

KoS, by the way, got an interview with Idlewild for a Uni mag on their up-and-coming tour. Sorry, wanted to tell someone who'd appreciate it as a big deal.

I'm so hyped. Personally I thought the new single was the dog's, I like their new slightly orchestraic direction, and reckon the new album's gonna be the best yet.

Sorry I'm all over the place, but I'm sorta bouncing off the walls.

YOU LUCKY, LUCKY BASTARD!! Presumably you'll be at the gig too and you'll hear the new album before me! :hmph: I'm loving the new single, took a couple of listens is all.

I mentioned Lostprophets earlier, their albums pretty good though the two singles are the clear stand-outs.

Not heard ESP (deliberate acronym?), and I'm holding off on Rival Schools for the moment till I hear more. 'Used for Glue' is great but I've heard 'Good Things' from that, wasn't as impressed. What's the album like? It's just I was a bit dissapointed with Soulwax's album, they'd released three hefty rock singles, then had no other hard rocking songs on the album. I'll see about it when I hear more songs.

The Hives album (Your New Favourite Band) is fantastic too, reminds me of the Pixies at their most chaotic.

The Hives album is amazing, they deserve the hype.

I kinda like the Soulwax album but know what you mean about the lack of rock.

Not to worry KOS, I'll give you a full update on the new material when I hear it. Are they touring anywhere near you?

Little old now, but I loved My Vitriol's debut, Fine Lines. Can't wait for some new stuff from them.

Unfortunately they're not playing Ireland on this tour, maybe they'll do a festival here? Gonna try to score Hives tickets for may, might be sold out already but I can hope!

Liked what I heard from My Vitriol, might pick that one up if I ever have money! Soulwax I still liked but I thought there'd be more rock, I'd seen em live before I got it, but maybe they were playing previous album material.

I was gonna see Hives but they sold out so quickly, ah well.

A couple of debuts I think you'd love KOS (if ya got no money I do suspect you might have a file-sharing program, no?).

Bionic - Bionic

(stand out tracks: Little Nixon, Mission, Peavey Youth)

McLusky - My Pain and Sadness is More Sad and Painful than yours (Irish I believe!)

(standout tracks: Rice is nice, When they come tell them no, You are my sun)

Both very rocky, very cool, I reckon you'd like 'em. Happy hunting!

Finally got around to DLing some Idlewild songs, so far I like what I hear, I've got Actually it's darkness, little discourage, Roseability, & these little wooden ideas now.  I'd say Little Discourage is my fave.  Tossed a bunch of the other bands you all mentioned on the DL list too, can't hurt.  Haven't heard good new (new to me anyways) bands in a while.   :D

I don't currently have a file-sharing program, I used Napster for a bit before it got shit but never got around to getting a replacement. At the time I thought I'd wait and see which one was best/not being shut down. From what I hear, Morpheus is best? Might get that one and see how much music I can squeeze thru the old 56k. What do you reckon?

Haven't heard Bionic or McLusky? ??? Did hear one by Electric Soft Parade, not sure of the name, 'Silent to the Dark II' or something, not bad....

KoS, if you manage to get some Bionic or McLusky I'm interested in what you think. As for not hearing about them, I wouldn't worry, I sorta stumbled across 'em by accident. They don't exactly get played on Radio One a lot.

Original :D material, listen to the streets, lock down your aerial...

Has it come to this, oh ohh ohhhh, original :D material....

Checked Kazaa for Bionic, at the time couldn't find owt, I'll try it again soon and McLusky too....

Been having a bit of bother with it cos at the start I was sharing all my mp3s, I was trying to download 2 songs and all of a sudden there were 8, yes 8 uploads....I'm on a 56k!!! Had to knock off all the stuff that I'd be sure could be gotten elsewhere so it should be ok now!

• 5 weeks later...

I think there's good music out there in any genre, we just live in time where it's not in the mainstream. If you look for stuff, you can find what you're looking for. I used to think Rap and Hip-hop was all devoid of intelligence or significant meaning. But that's only because since I'm not into the hip-hop scene, i only see the mainstream stuff. The imiation of good hip-hop. I listen to a few things by De La Soul and the Roots (who actually play instrumental without DJ and sampling, that's big points in my books), although with a few older Public Enemy tunes and although it's still not my thing, I no longer have that lake of respect for the genre, just for the record company and 'studio gansters' with half-naked women and bentleys and all the platinum jewelry in their videos. And I understand how people who aren't into rock nowadays can not like it based solely on the mainstream rock scene.

Doesn't it make you feel old to talk this way about contempory music. The stuff out there in the mainstream really is (in general) pretty darn bad, but it still makes em feel old. Back in the day, music was actually good (followed by my dentures falling out). Of course most of the music I take about whem I say back in the day is pre-my birth :p

I agree MPB! I've for the first time just read Heartless's topic starter, although i know what's she's saying, i have to ask, is there no listening posts where you come from? If i hear one track i like from a band/musician that i am unfamiliar with i'll go listen to the album in-store or snippets on the net, if it's not my thing, i'll just buy the single that i liked in the first place, simple! After all it's the song that you like and not a bands musical history or heritage (although i realise in some instances that's not the case).

Best 'one hit wonder' of last year:

Mirwais - 'Naive Song'

yea i was basically talking about how mainstream music blows..but then again mainstream music has always kinda sucked so it's not like it's a new thing

i'm more into the alternative/local band scene anyway.. i like some emo, ska, swing (lee press on nails), alternative, indie, etc. whatever catches my fancy and i think sounds good i'll listen too.  if it sucks in my opinion i won't give it the time of day

I don't think mainstream music always sucked. There was a time when the music industry was run by and music lovers, and it was gradually become strict businessmen who only look a music as a product. If you like Ska, check out Catch 22 (anything of the Keasbey Nights album is good) if you haven't already, and one another thing, what does EMO stand for?

I don't think that mainstream music's fluctuating quality is as complicated as it's made out to be.  I think it's complete coincidence as to what's popular except for a few guidelines.  At one time it was the beatles, at one time it was disco, or hair bands, or grunge.  You can figure out which were good and which werent yourself.  People seem to buy stuff randomly.  Sure, Pearl Jam was the mainstream in the early 90's, but 90% of the people who listened to them only knew Jeremy and could give a fuck about them once something shiny and newer came along.  I think it was pure chance that the style of music that everyone started buying up all of a sudden happened to be good.  Record companies don't care if the music is good, they care if it's marketable, and if the good stuff happens to be marketable, then so be it.  Grunge I guess was marketable because it was a change of mood after cheesy hair bands.  I don't think the industry was ever really run by music lovers.  

Oh, and Emo is a subcatagory of punk that's very emotional.  Early emo bands used to cry onstage at every show.  It's often acoustic and never as hard and ironic as normal punk.  A really good, recent example of emo now would be dashboard confessional.