Hondo's Bar

Ryder Cup

soldier of fortune

So its upon us...

After years of build up from the Irish Tourism Board, we're finally here.

Ryder Cup 2006

Probably the largest ever international sporting event held here, after the world games for the special olympics in 2003

Golf i hear you say, believe it or not is a great to watch especially when its played in a team event, us versus them etc.

So here are the two teams.

Europe (who are defending champions, and going for three in a row)

Darren Clarke (Northern Ireland - he's one of ours you hear me England!)

Padraig Harrington (Ireland)

Paul McGinley (Ireland)

Paul Casey (England)

Luke Donald (England)

Sergio Garcia (Spain)

David Howell (England)

Robert Karlsson (Sweden)

Colin Montgomerie (Scotland)

Jose Maria Olazabal (Spain)

Henrik Stenson (Sweden)

Lee Westwood (England)

Captain - Ian Woosnam (Wales), Vice Captains Des Smyth (Ireland) & Peter Baker (England)

USA

Tiger Woods

Phil Mickelson

Jim Furyk

Chad Campbell

David Toms

Chris DiMarco

Vaughn Taylor

JJ Henry

Zach Johnson

Brett Wetterich

Stewart Cink

Scott Verplank

Captain - Tom Lehman, Vice Captains Corey Pavin & Loren Roberts

So this all makes for a magnificent three days of golf at the K Club, in Straffan, Co Kildare (Not Dublin you media fuckers!)

How does it work, well its like this (quoted direct from Rydercup.com)

MATCH PLAY

All games are played under Match Play rules, where the result of each game is determined by the number of holes won. The order of play for the first two days is Fourball in the morning and Foursomes in the afternoon. The final day's play will be in Singles format.

FOURBALL (four groups of two two-man teams)

"Fourball" play is a match in which each member of the two-man teams plays their own ball. Four balls are in play per hole with each of the four players competing. The team whose player has the lowest score on that hole wins the hole. Should players from each team tie for the best score, the hole is halved.

FOURSOMES (four groups of two two-man teams)

"Foursomes" play is a match where two golfers play together against two other golfers and each team plays one ball. The golfers play alternate shots (player A hits tee shot, player B hits second shot, etc) until the hole is played out. Team members alternate playing the tee shots, with one golfer hitting the tee shot on odd-numbered holes, and the other hitting the tee shot on the even-numbered holes. The team with the better score wins the hole. Should the two teams tie for best score, the hole is halved.

SINGLES (12 groups of two one-man teams)

"Singles" is a match in which one player competes against another player. A player wins the match when he is up by more holes than there are holes remaining to play.

PAIRINGS

Each Team Captain independently submits the order of play for his Team to the appointed tournament official. The lists from each Captain are matched, resulting in the "Pairings". Please note that the players in pairings can be modified by the Team Captains only if a player is ill or injured. Pairings are subject to change and should not be considered final until play begins for a particular match.

So it all kicks off at 0700 GMT on Friday, and all that is left to say is

Lets Play Golf!!!

Oh and obviously, Come on Europe!!!

It seems to be all about the Yanks over here though. Everything is geared towards pleasing the U.S. corporate types a bit too much for my liking. I'm not hopping on the Anti-American Bandwagon that so many misguided people tend to do however. Just highlighting the fact that many only see it as a chance to make a quick buck off the Americans.

Now my rant is over I would like to say Come on Europe!

Hell fucking yeah, come on Europe!!!

Can't wait for this to start, kicks off at 8am GMT tomorrow!

Its obvious that we always try to take advantage of our american brethren, which is unfortunate, but i would say its not uncommon when big sporting events are held, prices in the locality normally do jump up... simple market force of supply and demand...

Though from what i'm hearing the K Club and everything down there is about the same price wise as city centre dublin, cept you've to pay €120 to get in for the day!

So after the morning fourballs the scores are

Harrington & Montgomery lose 1 down to Woods & Fuyrk

Casey & Karlsson half with Cink & Henry

Garcia & Olazabal win 3&2 against Toms & Wetterich

Westwood & Clarke win 1 up against Mickelson & DiMarco

So the score is

Europe 2.5 pts USA 1.5pts

Now into the afternoon foursomes

Okay, am I missing something here or is this dirty golf?

Heh, no, its because this a team event, the europeans play in pairs .... oh i'm just making this worse aren't i! :eh:

I know I'm rooting for the US, but what a job by Darrin Clarke this morning considering all he has been through. Good show man. Good show indeed!

Think everyone, US and Europeans were rooting for Darren Clarke, its amazing he's playing, and he deserved the reception he received... :huh: Go Darren, Padraig, and Paul, Do the Irish :irish: and Europe proud :ohface:

Archived