Hondo's Bar

Microsoft to comp repairs for early Xbox 360s

bishopcruz

In a pretty damn nice move MS is comping repairs to any 360 that breaks down that was manufactured before Jan 1, 2006.

From Kotaku

Microsoft sends word that the free repairs for early Xbox 360s are indeed part of a new, official policy. They also seem to be admitting that that first run of 360 consoles had some issues.

As part of our standard and ongoing process of analyzing repair data, we recently noticed a higher than usual number of units coming in for repair. Upon further investigation, it was further discovered that the bulk of the units were isolated to a group that was part of the initial manufacturing run of the console. Returns for repair are coming in for a variety reasons and it's a higher rate than we are satisfied with. We've made the decision to comp repairs for consoles manufactured before January 1, 2006, and provide refunds to the small group of customers who have already paid for repairs.

Wow, it only took them 10 months to figure that out.

I think this is a pretty great thing for them to do, and I can't think of any other video game company that has done something like this voluntarily with their early system failures. Did Sega or Sony ever do this with their problem Dreamcasts and PS1/PS2s?

That's the kind of service I like to see from a company.

Archived