Hondo's Bar

Rock Workshop 101 - The Guitar

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ChordFind.com

Good little site I found that might help you.  CGI script shows you where the chords are located.  The picture is a bit difficult to look at tho, you'll find yourself tilting your head to the left.

Remember there's always 3 - 5 different ways to play the same chord.

I'm sorry, i may have overdone it on my last post... damn tequila.  I just mean that it's important for a beginning player to play with someone who's had a few years experience under their belt.  You need someone who's gone well over the hump of basics & can show you good technique, good ear training, things like that.  There's much more to guitar than reading tab & strumming.  Just an example, not a brag, but I've been learning the last few songs COMPLETELY by ear.  To some this comes natural, and to others you need a push.

Thanx for all the help...The reason I wanted to start on my own was just that don't have the time to go to classes and When I do go for a class I want to at least no something...So when I get lost I least I know what i'm asking..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question from an untrained guitarists. It may sound silly but I really need help with it.

How do you strum (downstrokes and upstrokes) a chord formation such as:

x        or       x

x                 10

4                  x

4                  8

2                  x

x                  x

What I'm mainly asking is in the first example, the shape is easy but how do you play without hitting the top string each time without keeping your hand in the same position and just playing downstrokes?

Chief, you must have some kinda answer? Or anyone else, please help.

Well 3 things:

1)Those are power chords.

Power chords are NOT meant for strumming.  They're meant for mainly downstrokes on the strings your pressing on, and sometimes the next deepest one also, for added harmony.

2)Muting

Muting is what you do when you ever so slightly inch one of your placed fingers over and brush against another string.  What you do is maintain your original string's sound and mute the noise from the other string you're brushing against... it' takes practice.  You can also do it with your picking hand, if you're good.

3)Control

You need to control the strum of your picking hand as to hit ONLY the strings you want to hear... listen to some old Neil Young if you want... he's the master at playing accoustic with continuous up & down strokes, yet you only hear what he wants you to hear.

Sounds like some practice is in order. Much obliged Chief. The muting is fairly easy to do on the electric but less easy on the acoustic. Especailly when I try to get my thumb round to mute the E string.

Gonna go and practice 'Unintended' by Muse, nice little picking song that one.

I'll be posting some tabs for some songs that I've learned by ear.  The problem with learning from certain "un-official" books / sites is that they have to change something about their tabs to make sure it's not copyright infringement... alot of books do that.  I'll try to post whatever i can, or at least files for you guys to DL in word form or whatever.

EM

Ok I'm going to try this...top string is high-E, bottom is low-E.  When i write (h#) that means hold that many counts.  Tabs in a vertical line are chords... duh.  A note in {} means vibrato

Def Leppard - Love Bites

This is the verse section.  Repeats alot

----------------------------------

--1(h3)------------6---5(h1)------

-2--------3(h3)---5---5---------0

0--------0-------5---5---------3-

--------1-------3-------------3--

-----------------------------1----

They do this once b/w the first 2 verses, Power chords:

----------------------

---------------------- then back to top

7---------------------

7----------3----------

5(h3)-----3-----------

-----------1(h3)------

" I don't want to touch..."

-------------------------------

-------------------------------  repeat 2x, then go to chorus

8------------------------------

8------6-----------3-----8--------

6(h3)-6-----------3-----8--------

-------4(h2)-{3}-1(h3)-6(h2)-{4}

Chorus "Love bites!"

--------------

-------------- each chord hold count 1.

-------------- repeat 3X, last time quiet

10--6--3--8--

10--6--3--8--

8---4--1--6--

Chorus riff on little e & b (during part above)

-10-{11}(h1)-                 8-10-11-10-8---

8--8----------ditto, ditto, -----------------11

break riff starting on little e

--------1-0-----

3-3---------1---  repeats like 8 times

----2-2-------2-

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with it I have to admit. Not too bad but haven't picked up the guitar in a few days now. Look forward to Metallica though, should be cool.

Do you want the tab for Star-Spangled Banner? Just learned it and it is cool as fuck. Easy but cool.

One of my friends gave me an acoustic guitar he said he didn't need today, so I guess now I'm a fledgeling guitarist as well.  Today has basically consisted of staring at random web sites and wondering how people get their fingers positioned for even the easiest chords...  I'm willing to spend an assload of time with it though, nothing else to do this summer.  Cheif, I'd be up for your finger stump making small time lessons if ya can spare the time.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious how goes the progress Junk? You getting lessons or taking the DIY route?

As for me, I'm not very good but extending my reportoire currently. Enjoying playing some Chili Peppers at the mo, not too difficult but sounds cool as hell on the acoustic.

Any progress on Metallica tab Chief?  :D

The progress goes somewhat well, I really don't have much time to practice, but it try to as much as possible.  I'm still not at the point where I would say that I know how to play guitar without lying.  I'm just looking up stuff online to learn so far.  Been trying to get Cheif to teach me a thing or two, but I guess I keeo catching him at busy times.  For now though I just practice random chords, I can change through most of the ones I know fairly smoothly now, 'specially after cutting my nails.  Playing a couple of nirvana songs, collective soul, one easy pumpkins song, "Day tripper" from teh beatles is a fun one too.  Found that I dont really like using a pick, my downstrokes are fine, but my upstrokes are non existant with a pick.  Very glad I picked up the hobby though, enjoying it quite a  bit, can't wait till I'm at the point where I can start learning some of my favorite songs and having em sound good.

I'll give Daytripper a look, definitely a fave Beatles song of mine.

The chord switching is important, took me a long time to remember the shapes as well. As for the pick, I still keep mine for strumming songs, but abandon it for picking ones. Want to keep using it though coz I'm teaching myself electric now after I found a 2nd hand one plus amp for really cheap.

May as well keep this thread going with some recommendations so if you get a chance try 'Unintended' by Muse.

I don't know if you've heard of the band in the States but the song involves 6 major chords, all fairly easy to switch between but is a nice plucking song.

Hmm, odd but great thing happened tonight, I start practicing as usual, checking out tabs for other songs, and all of a sudden I have no trouble at all playing any of the other stuff I know!  When I used to play some of this I couldn't repeat the riff too much, or sometimes there'd be strings buzzing everywhere... now it all sounds fine, and my fingers are doing cool new stuff, my pinky's doin' all sorts of crazy shit.  It's just kinda odd that's all, yesterday I could play some of this stuff worth shit and now it's all good... well, you dont see me complaining, makes me not wanna go to sleep and just look up more tabs.   New additions to my song roster:  Iron man by black sabbath (surprisingly easy and cool), drown by smashing pumpkins, seek and destroy by metallica (um, just the intro really, but it's cool), and Cream - Sunshine of your love.