Hondo's Bar

Best Heavy Metal Band

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Again, I've sticking to stuff that's up through Metal's prime (pre-Nevermind). A separate poll for Nu-Metal might arise later. Audiogalaxy define Heavy Metal as:

Heavy Metal, or Metal, is loud and fast Blues/Acid Rock without the Blues. It is aggressive, menacing Hard Rock. Though Metal is often crass and juvenile, its high speed riffage and soloing is often technically demanding on its musicians. Metal has subdivided and mutated so often during its almost 30 years of existence that it is largely an umbrella term now. Bands whose sounds were influential, (or derivative,) and big enough to typify the entire genre are AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Metallica.

It's easy to say Ozzy sold out to MTV, but I think it's better to think of it as Ozzy trying to bring quality programming to a intelligently devoid channel. I mean, is it any surprise this is the highest rated show on MTV, with all the quality programming as competition :D . MTV is still one of the most evil corporations under the sun, but if nothing else, it's taking away attention from the other crap on MTV, like TRL (I HATE TRL with a passion!). I also like Daria, but it's getting cancelled evidently.

Metallica is a trick beast. You can hated them and hate them, and then your hear Master Of Puppets, or For Whom The Bell Tolls, or One, and remember their used to be good there, and further more, they put that good on record. I say love them for who they were and forget them for what they are now. And Garage Inc had some stinkers alright, but it had a bunch of gems too.

• 4 years later...
Man there's a list that has some great bands and some shit ones.

I'm surprised there's no Slayer, Sepultura, Zakk Wylde, solo Ozzy, but I'm astounded there's no Pantera.

C'mon man it's Dimebag R.I.P. for fuck's sake.

You should know that make in teh olden days, polls were limited to only 10 options, so remember that when you come across one of the many polls I made back in 02-03. upon reflection, Motorhead should have been on this poll. I voted for Black Sabbath, but today I would have voted for AC-DC.

Well, while it was great in my adolescence, brooding darkness and macabre themes seem insincere to me, or maybe I just can't relate anymore. AC/DC has never seems phony to me. I mean, there's all the "faux-Satanic" vibe, but it just comes off as good fun and obnoxious boyish cockiness, all good things, that AC-DC is so good at. You can fucking party to AC-DC. AC-DC is more true to the blues roots metal comes from than any other major metal group, most of whom try to replace the time-tested rules of good rhythm and blues song structure with semi classic symphonic self indulgent suites in odd time signatures. That's all good and fine, but it don't satisfy me the way it used to. If all these metal bands were my group of friends, AC-DC may not be the one I have the most respect for, or the one I think is the most talented, but they'd definitely be my best friend, cause they're the most fun.

As far as the choice hating band wagon goes, Gn'R isn't exactly the olden days of metal, def leopard is not a real band just because they're british, and Queensryche shows the prog bias that comes from Jax. Slayer and Anthrax would be nice, as far as older stuff Diamond Head is fucking amazing and Budgie is pretty fucking solid early 70's british metal.

Sabbath would have won all the same tho.