Hondo's Bar

Pride of Baghdad

The NZA

1401203140.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39138472_.jpg

So, it seems thats me, SB, Panch, Skeeter, 2T & Ly are fans...i think that's everyone who comes into this forum, but anyway...

From Vaughan's Myspace page on the book:

Inspired by an unbelievable true story of four lions who escaped the Baghdad Zoo during Operation Iraqi Freedom, PRIDE OF BAGHDAD is equal parts anthropomorphic adventure and Animal Farm-like parable about the ongoing conflict. Written by Y: THE LAST MAN and EX MACHINA co-creator Brian K. Vaughan and lavishly illustrated by artist Niko Henrichon, this 136-page original graphic novel will be released on September 13, 2006 by Vertigo Comics.

"This story of a pride of lions that escape from the Baghdad zoo during Operation Iraqi Freedom bombing is simple, lavishly drawn and devastating. The four lions—Zill; his two wives, the young, ideological and passionate Noor and the older, more cautious Safa; and his son, Ali—must negotiate life outside their pen. The insanity of war and of Saddam's state comes out in Henrichon's stunning images, which can move seamlessly from earth-rocking video game to a grieving peaceable kingdom. A turtle mourning his dead family notes that the local humans called their tanks "the lions of Babylon," and then the tanks rush in. Later, an image of Safa facing a portrait of a winged lion backed by lightning is startling, as she wanders the splendor of an abandoned palace in wonder. Without taking sides, Vaughan has his marvelously imagined characters debate the concept of freedom versus desire for safety, and fills the animal conflicts between lions, antelopes and monkeys with all-too-human tropes of honor and betrayal. PRIDE parodies the surrealism of war, with bewildered yet realistic animals among the ruined, megalomaniacal monuments of Baghdad—and the total effect is memorable. (Sept.) *Starred Review"

Pride of Baghdad was also a recommended read in the new issue of GQ MAGAZINE, and on NPR's TALK OF THE NATION, host Neal Conan included Pride in his "Summer Reading Picks," right up there with The Collected Poems of Stanley Kunitz and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick.

After Runaways, Ex Machina, Y: The Last Man, The Escapist and such, Vaughan's name is synonymous with quality in my book, but this Nico guy...i gotta look him up, his art was amazing here.

This book is like part We3, part Animal Man (Morrison's run - anyone else read that one written from a Dolphin's perspective?), and big part Grave of the Fireflies...that's about as good as i can describe it. Vaughan took a small, short moment in a troubled time and made a really incredible book out of it; so much so that I read the scan one day, bought the book the next. Sometimes, even us bootleggers are hit with such quality that we're compelled to support immediately, bounced checks be damned.

I havent seen/heard the list of Eisner nominees this year, but this one really ought to be on it.

lions.jpg

Yes it is! But... It'll make you get all choked up! :misty:

Interesting concept I got outta it:

Freedom = Tend to yourself in the wild (all the dangers included), but you're still free to do as you please...

VS

Captivity = Being taken care of, having things done for you, without the dangers of the outside world, but you're domain is restricted (there's only so much you can do living in a zoo).

I think i'd rather be free.

What do you guys think?

Must.... get... my..... hands..... on.....

Indeed, you must! If yall are wanting to get it sooner than later, it can be found on a DCP torrent (forget which, this month sometime in the past week 10-12 maybe? Eh, too lazy to look it up on the comicbook journal, where I posted it). It s so good! One day it will be on my shelf. :misty:

SHit Sen, way to bring philosophy to comics... :wink:

Yeah, the moral of the story seems to be freedom really IS something that can only be earnt(it just occured to me the price the Iraqis payed for their 'enforced' freedom as opposed to if they'd just sorted the matter themselves.

I'd take captivity & the fundamental sense of ignorant bliss that comes with that. Awreness only leads to trouble. Adam & Eve'll tell you that.

Archived