Hondo's Bar

Hondo's on Wikipedia.org?

BigChiefSlapaho

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

manohman, you guys are awesome.

i didnt do this cause a) youre not supposed to write on your own shit, and b) like Lizard said, theyll prolly take it down due to it lookin like a local ad.

I jazzed it up, played the internatinal community/cultural phenomenon card a bit more, here's to hopin it lasts but im not holdin my breath - i saved the entire page just in case.

Anyway, seeing it made my day.

Charities? You mean "The National Association for the Fulfillment of Nick's Whiskey Cabinet?"

i like that you took up qualms with the philanthropy a few of us have undertaken rather than the "clothing line"....hey, pipe down, they might be looking!!

yeah, it would be deleted...

it's not notability as much as it is encyclopedic appeal, the subject needs to be about something that a large group of people would be interested in knowing about, either because they never heard of it and many others have, so they keep hearing about it and want to know, or because they have heard it before out of common knowledge, and just never bothered to know about it until they became curious and looked it up.

Generally, Hondo's appeals only to people within Hondo's itself, and the average Joe wouldn't come to Hondo's just because it's just Hondo's, but instead because it's a forum they happen to come across or were introduced to. If say, Hondo's became notable or popular somehow, and a large group of unrelated people would suddenly want to know everything about it, then it would become notable enough to be given an article. Another way to get listed would be if it became associated with a big event, sort of like vampirefreaks.com became associated with that canadian school shooting in September, and so earned an entry. Also, if Hondo's happens to be an element in what made a subject notable, such as say, someone here became a serial killer and posted a lot of shit in here, then hondo's could be made into an article or mentioned on the article about the serial killer, and all just because it was associated to the notable subject, so it would appeal to people looking to find out all about the serial killer and why he did it, etc.

So, basically, it's just general shit that you'd see in an encyclopedia, anything historical, whether local or not, and things of importance to a large group of unrelated people... OR, an involved association with any one of the above, if it doesn't meet that then it'll just be deleted, and trust me, I've deleted things like, people's stupid little clubs they have with their friends, but umost often it's non-notable people who write biographies about themselves that get deleted, so no user would hesistate to delete an article about hondo's simply because it's one in a million forums that exist out there, and doesn't really have appeal outside of its own group.

So yeah, if you want Hondo's on Wikipedia... one of you's gotta turn serial killer, that's basically it.

shit, way to crap in my cornflakes...

im playin up the international community angle, what else (besides death) might fly? some really inane shit (lookup internet phenomenon) gets wiki entries, seriously, how else could this be kept on there, then?

and dont be so quick to sell this place short, there are things we offer that others don't. Its an international social organization with meet-ups and the like, and that's just one example...shit, one of you does need to attack an embassy or something, tho. Im lookin at 2T here.

I'm not selling the place short, I'm saying that that would be the attitude Wikipedia would take to the article, it's not my opinion, is the collective mind that the Wikipedia community would have to it.

It doesn't have to have negative appeal to become notable, I was just doing that for humor, as long as Hondo's has appealed to a large unrelated group of people then it is notable enough... sort of like, airliners.net appeals to millions of people in the aviation world, like hondo's it also has tons of international meetups, etc. but airliners.net is a name that within the aviation world it is known, no matter who you are, so it becomes notable, if hondo's grabbed just that much, it would become worthy of an entry, because that's all it needs, popularity. Other forums wouldn't do with just popularity, hondo's can.

An internet phenomena has appealed to a large number of unrelated people, so it earned an entry... hondo's would just have to do something that would get people's attention, what they don't want to happen is, if they let hondo's stay as an article, then a ton of other forums would come in demanding to be listed equally, and so you'd have a ton of articles that don't appeal to the general public, this happened in the beginning with "local bands", just bands that were popular in some towns and cities, so now the guidline is, you have to have a record label, or be a notable band to be included.

That last part about it being just another forum wasn't my view of it, I just know that that's the type of attitude that would be taken to the article over on Wikipedia, sorry about that.

Try looking at another forum article and uniforming the hondo's article to it. Articles about similar subjects are usually uniformed in style, and that will help in keeping it from sounding informal and getting attacked for not looking very good, and people will more likely ignore what they think if non-notable if it comes off as being notable to them. So if the article looks really good, then they might not even notice.

Also, if you need help I can tell you what to do, or heck, I'll just edit it myself... if you really wanna try it.

If you do a good enough job, no one might notice it exists until they come across it accidentally, lol...

oh, man. im all ears to suggestions, but if you edit it yourself in a manner that still lists at least a portion of what i was shooting for there, ill get you a bottle of your favorite...wait, do you drink? if not, ill uh...i dont know. ill try to steal you a plane or something.

Do we even show up on google? I mean I know there is a Google bot lurking here and all, and some people have found us through them, but what exactly do you have to put into Google to find us?

if you look for hondos bar, you mostly get bars by that name. hondosbar together will find us, and Hondo's Bar like that gets you nothin but love.

im in the process of re-structuring us to get even more google hits. lookin at the 200 or so spammers weve hard recently, i assure you were being found.

google searches are actually a small criteria for Wikipedia notabilty, though informal.

Basically, they enter the term Hondo's Bar into google, and if it comes up with very little results, then that fact gets mentioned in the deletion candidacy and that may or may not sway people to vote for delete intead of keep, in cases where a lot of entries come up, the searcher will see how many entries are actual separate mentions of the subject, not related to the subject itself, so 4,000 pages of hondo's bar itself won't count, but 4,000 pages of other sites mentioning hondo's will... that sort of thing.

I'll write up the article just fine, we just gotta figure out what to put in it exactly...

it would have to be things about the forum that make it sound notable, so inside jokes and such wouldn't count, though things like international members, meetups, and succesful group activities that would be considered notable could work just fine.

I'm still afraid though that once we put it up, someone will come by, put it on VFD (votes for deletion) and 200 people will find it not-notable and it'll be gone. We'd have to defend their accusations of why it is, or isn't notable... and the community tends to be really strict about the notability guidelines.

So how would we show up on a Google search if you didn't already know to put in "Hondo's Bar?"

...I don't know.

one of you guys start up the article, and I'll just help edit and clean it up. The thing is, if I create it, then I will be the one responsible for it when it comes up for the deletion candidacy, and not that I'd get lynched or anything for that, but I wouldn't know what exactly to say in its defense.

i can use my site's stats to see who links to us, and what keywords people use that find us most often, if that'd help.

im all for taking down inside jokes (i dont think i included many) and pushing the group meetups, int'l and such angles.

i say we give it a valid go, and if there's serious deletion talk, again, 2T's normally a few pints away from an international incdient.

i was hoping, cause i really shot for objective. how do you go about gettin a place popular with the crowd there, tho?

and again, feel free to suggest or even edit, youre the one who showed me this site and clearly know a lot more on what they look for.

Archived