Hondo's Bar

Hondo's on Wikipedia.org?

BigChiefSlapaho

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I joined in December of 2004, did a lot of learning over early 2005, then in mid 2005, I got Columbine massacre featured, pretty much on my own, though a few people helped me quite a bit in formatting it, i did all the research and writting though, and most of the others fixed what i wrote and helped me get it to look like it does now. After that happened, I became just a known screename, like the type that you see on your watchlist and don't even bother to look at what they edited because you just trust them. Columbine massacre became one of the top 1000 articles of the month, and it hasn't lost it's top 1000 spot since August of 2005 when it got featured. I then became very active in editing and did a lot of overhauls, got into Florida and Aviation articles, and then became an administrator with quite a bit of support, in fact, i only had 1 neutral vote on my adminship candidacy that was made by someone who just didn't know me, and no opposition to my adminship at all, which is very good, but not rare. After that, I got into the adminiship groove and then settled into just gnoming, which means just cleaning up articles and vandalism, making sure they look good, sound good, are uniform, and verified, but no major overhauls. I got to know most of the big names and users, and just became one in thousands of major editors there. Currently, I mostly just maintain articles I'm interested in, but especially aviation articles.

A year ago, I got involved with the today's featured article cabal (the one you see on the main page). At first I actually did cleanup and such, but now I pretty much just add the "this article will be featured on the main page on xx date" tags to the chosen articles, not a big job, but an important one, and have done so for 14 months, so I'm also known for that as well, as people have told me that they actually get excited when they request their article and see that I've edited the talkpage as that must mean it got chosen, so it's nice to be noticed by random people, I guess. Since then I've become pretty much just a background editor. But yeah, the article sounds and looks pretty straightforward, it doesn't sound like it'd be a problem, but I'm sure someone will come across it, do research, deem it non-notable and that'd be the candidacy for it. Still, I'll do some wikignoming on it, and check its uniformity to other forum articles so it doesn't end up getting chosen just because it doesn't meet some writting standard, but this is a pretty good looking and sounding article, sooo... high hopes.

possibly, i guess we'll see.

SM - man, when we got into over the Titor timetravel guy, i didnt know you were that invovled. that's really awesome, and yeah, id be honored to have you edit that page as well, of course.

i just learned how a month or two back when i did one for a small comic, Action Philosophers!, which i think came out alright for my first, never saw it edited but i wonder if its been noticed yet...anyway, thats pretty cool of you man, i didnt know all that. Ive read the columbine one myself, so yeah, tight work.

uh, bout the post # - weve 578 last i checked, nearly 70 could be trolls, so that's 500 or so people. A number of voyeurs, but tonight proves weve a fair number of regulars, tho i dont think weve had more than 20-something on at once, legitimately. like i said, it might help, i just left it off cause the #'s less impressive when you see some larger places, like theme-based boards.

Who's Tippling.philosopher ?

You might wanna fill in your userpage and start editing a few other articles with good edits and such to build up trust within the community. Persons with red talkpages and userpages are watched more closely as many tend to be vandals, a ton of good edits will deem you a welcome into the community, but if you focus on only editing one article that may be considered non-notable, then it might arouse more suspiscion.

ok, i see... yeah, leave the number off then.

Yeah, I just had a lot of time on my hands back then, there's some people who are part of the are mediators and actually run the place. I technically could run for it, but I'm not the candidate type.

I added an infobox to the article. I have to go to bed now, gotta be up at 5:15 for work, so.. gnite.

hmm ok so the page you messaged me at'll look more valid as i edit other articles? I dont often come across those that look like they need work, but there've been stubs in comics and such i could help out with, ill try to do just that.

Tipping = Take me to your Lizard, i believe. i really wasnt gonna be the one to start a wiki on hondo's as i recall them saying it shouldnt be the author.

wow, someone stumbled upon it pretty fast.

well, the candidacy lasts a week unless it's pretty obvious it'll win or lose...

I'll try and defend it as much as I can, but we'd have to work it together, and anyone else who might wanna try... but not until tomorrow cause i need sleep!!!!

oh wait, this is speedy deletion...

ok, what u have to do here is follow the instructions on the pink tag and get it to go through VFD, so that you can at least get a week to argue as to why it should stay, if not, a speedy deletion admin will come by and delete as he or she deems fit, though you can always question their judgement.

yeah, that was quick, but pedro called it.

alright man, get some :D and be sure to let me know any ideas you have tomorrow on legitimacy, again im all ears. if it dont work out, i appreciate the effort either way.

ps should i be the one to remove the warning tag? it says it shouldnt be me, tho it might mean Lizard/Tipping. i dont want to go about disrespecting the place's rules in the process of tryin to keep the page.

Hi, yeah it was I who put it up, and I know it's a new screen name on WP.

I knew it was a long shot to keep the article there. The problem is, as cool and notable as we might find Hondo's, you wouldn't really expect to see it in an encylopedia because it isn't really a topic of interest to anyone but us.

But how cool to have it on there for a while. I thought it might give us all a kick to see it.

Sorry I don't have a decent established membership on wikipedia to get it off the ground, spunkey. I love the site but have never got involved in it before. Maybe if we lose it we could have a more focused attempt in the future?

Either way, I hope you guys got a good screenshot (without the deletion bit) of HONDO'S ON FREAKING WIKIPEDIA.

Yeah, if we cant figure out a way to justify it, we'll have to wait till sometime down the road when we really put this place on the map. It'll happen, just havent figured it out just yet.

Meantime, like Lizard said: we'll always have this -

Hondo

well, you'll always have the history of the page listed there and you can just press the preview button whenever you want and check it out again, but yeah, looking at WP:WEB (website notability requirements) this wouldn't pass a Votes for Deletion.

So I guess 2track would have to announce his attack on that Embassy here... detailed of course, then we all go ahead and ignore, he executes it, and there you go.

LOL, no one actually do anything like that though, I wouldn't want to be cited for having encouraged terrorism to get this site listed on Wikipedia, ha ha.

Even if Hondo's had some real reason to keep it from being deleted (by "real" reason, I mean based on the WP:WEB), that's not a guarantee that they wouldn't go ahead and delete it.

Recently the wiki pages of a well known webcomic (which had at least 2 of the 3 internet criteria completed) and its author were deleted, despite everyone's attempt at keeping it online and making whatever changes were needed.

At least we have a bitchin' screenshot, though.

not yet, its got till the 8th or so, so soon enough anyway.

twas fun, but not a big deal, its their loss - were bound to make some waves and then somebody else'll be writing it, ill save the coding just in case. RockMFR can choke on one, though.

Just get 2track to attack that embassy!!!

anyway, the article is tagged for speedy deletion, so technically, when an admin comes upon it, they should review its notability and then delete it (or remove the tag). If it were up for afd or vfd then you'd have a week, but this tag means that there will be no voting involved. You can, however, request a vfd so that a bunch of people will check it out and decide as a group if it's notable, but right now, it'll only be 1 admin doing that unless you add the tag contesting the speedy delete tag RockMFR got (trying going to WP:SPEEDY and finding that tag then posting it if you wish).

What's funny is that, right now, i'm being a bad admin, because I've come across it and should technically be doing that, but I won't. I could just remove the tag and say it stays, of course, but then RockMFR can (and i'm sure WILL) contest it because it's conflict of interest on my part, i guess, lol, so then I can always argue that if anyone tries to get me why i didn't do the speedy deleting procedure when it came across it.

Either way, it's on the speedy delete list now and someone will come by eventually, check it, and see if RockMFR was correct in tagging it, then delete it or keep it... i can always recover the text for ya if you want it later on, and you can always contest this if you want, even after deletion... but I'd say it wouldn't pass a group test either, they're pretty stringent about these sorts of things.

no, and again i appreciate it, i know youre supposed to be the one to take it down (and when the time runs out? id personally rather it was you that did it), and ive already saved the code to a text file.

but ive read through their policies, and i get the notion that its not yet noteworthy to outsiders, subjective as that may be. if their fear is that the precedent'll open up for every dimestore hondo's and other board to use it as a plug for recruits, i can see their caution.

I still think we got a unique thing going with a number of factors that other forums dont, but its not something id yet reach to prove - id rather this thing keep steadily building until theyre looking to play catch-up for an article, personally.

haha...i almost wish joel did try to sue jax, alla sudden. anyway, in the long run, i like to think we'll make other sites more noteworthy, not the other way around.

yeah, that's the biggest concern, just like with bands... before, local bands were allowed, as long as they were a popular in the area, or played regularly at clubs, had a regular gig, etc. but now, one rquires either a record label, or a huge amount of popularity outside of ones area, because what happened was that any little high school put together band began to post articles about itself (and they still do, actually). They're always dropped as soon as they're found, but in the beginning there, these kids began to argue that those local bands that wer eallowed weren't technically any more notable than they were, since many of those high school bands had a following in their neighborhoods and such, so they made that rule about the record labels to keep kids from calling them hypocrites (since most of those who voted did feel it was hypocritical). I think the funniest part about removing high school band articles is how every single time, after they personally attack you and vandalise your userpage because u deleted their little band article, they always say that when they're super famous like , I'll be sorry, or I'll be kissing their ass... I mostly laugh cause I don't even listen to the current major bands, so why would i ever listen to them, but I also laugh just because it's a bit pathetic since we all know that'll never happen either way.

Schools are also a huge notability issue, high schools and middle schools and such were deemed not notable at first, now they are allowed, and many people want to get them removed again... should a local high school be considered encyclopedic notable? I say yes because wikipedia isn't a paper encyclopedia and these schools affect many, many people's lives individually... i mean, who doensn't remember high school? But many other people think they don't really pose any notability individually beyond importance by their alumni and maybe their communities. High school as a whole... (the topic, that is), does, but not say, Miami Southridge High School (which has a very neglected article if you wanna go for it, btw) would.

But yeah, I'll delete it on the 5th day if it's not gone by then.

Archived