Hondo's Bar

Johnny Cash

The NZA

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See what i said? Education for the youth. Here's right off of wiki:

He sold over 50 million albums in his nearly 50 year career and is generally recognized as one of the most important musicians in the history of American popular music.

From his early days as a pioneer of rockabilly and rock and roll in the 1950s, to his decades as an international representative of country music, to his resurgence to fame as both a living legend and an alternative country icon in the 1990s, Cash has influenced countless artists and left a body of work matched only by the greatest artists of his time. Upon his death, Cash was revered by many of the greatest popular musicians of his time.

In total, he wrote over a thousand songs and released dozens of albums, a box set, titled Unearthed, was issued posthumously.

You're right; if, in his second to last album (of over 100 if you include compilations), he covered a few songs to have fun, clearly, Depeche Mode and Reznor were massive influences in his life.

...you know why i dont often post in the auto threads? Prollly because i just dont know a great deal about cars.

i know about music, i know a good deal about it... i just don't see the hype with cash... same shit with elvis...

in my eyes they're both proof that millions can be wrong... i am one of the few that see it this way... i know i am in minority about it, but don't get all pissy come high and mighty when someone doesn't rate your (seemingly) favorite artist... i wouldn't get this way if you started mouthing off joy division the smiths or the pumpkins

this has nothing to do with prefernces or how much you think you know about music. You're not getitng that.

It has to do with the fact that since this thread started, youve yet to say anything of value on a legend. You dont care for him? really? I didnt get that a page ago.

But when you say he didnt influence anyone, he's hype, he's influenced by artists like nine inch nanils and depeche mode because he covered them late in his career, you prove you know little to nothing of the artist or his work, and i start to doubt you've even heard a song by him.

I could tell you i think Dylan's overrated in some areas, from my own personal feelings, but im not about to deny his influence/importance on folk & other genres, or act like i dont listen to Highway 61 Revisited often.

Crack on Wu-Tang and ill show you their contributions to the genre, but respect if theyre not your thing. Deny the influences of an american legend with 50+ years of quality work under his belt, and there's no way you're serious.

ok, i appreciate what you say.. but as i said.. i have tried to like cash... i just don't... and i don't see how he influences so much music... if anything nine inch nails influenced him and his song choice in the form of hurt, same with d-mode and personal jesus...

That's...eh..quite the pile of shite there DOJ.

I would explain to you why you are so wrong but IN already has.

Do people actually refer to NIN in the plural tense? It's just Trent Reznor. It's one man with computers and access to studio equipment.

Heh sorry i'm just not a big fan of their work and don't know a lot about them...oops i did it again

jesus, doj, just stop already! its already a train wreck!

Anyway, back on topic.

I can say that i've never really listened to much Cash (so if anyone could hook me up) but i understand his place in teh pantheon of musical legend, and influence.

DoJ, as for your point of "millions can be wrong" jesus, that was said like a true ass hole, just getting pissy cos IN has the info to put you in your place in context of this mans contribution to music during his 50 yr career.

jesus, doj, just stop already! its already a train wreck!

Anyway, back on topic.

I can say that i've never really listened to much Cash (so if anyone could hook me up) but i understand his place in teh pantheon of musical legend, and influence.

DoJ, as for your point of "millions can be wrong" jesus, that was said like a true ass hole, just getting pissy cos IN has the info to put you in your place in context of this mans contribution to music during his 50 yr career.

I can help you out with some Johnny Cash I've American II, III, IV and V and The Essential. People should go here more often. Anyway if you want 'em pm me your address and i'll send em to you on a mp3 disc.

cash's version of hurt made me cry. NIN's version, while still great, has never gotten me so emotional. cash's voice sounds worn and he sings that song like he's been through hell. i can't say the same about reznor (although i know he's been through some shit too, it just doesn't really come out in his voice).

and since when does covering a song mean that the band influenced you? people have coverd hit me baby one more time but that doesn't make britney spears the gandhi of music. jesus christ. when a band actually sounds similar to another band, that's when they're being influenced.

Well he's obviously not into country music in the first place and Cash pretty much influenced all country music (and a lot of rock n' roll and pop as well) covers are covers and yes there are some horrible ones but they're not bastardizing an artist's work, maybe it has to do with a song being done by an artist who it fits more or somebody with a voice that doesn't sound like he eats a big bowl of barbed wire for breakfast. I mean as much as I like Steeler's Wheel's version of Stuck in the Middle, the Eagles of Death Metal cover was still great though completely different.

EoDM covered that? Shit, I gotta get on Bearshare when I get home!

And let's all ease up on DoJ everyone. He's clearly influenced Jax who, while everyone loves, being a founding member & having more than 15000 posts, I really don't see as that flash a Hondonian. Still, big-up-yourself DoJ!!

and since when does covering a song mean that the band influenced you? people have coverd hit me baby one more time but that doesn't make britney spears the gandhi of music. jesus christ. when a band actually sounds similar to another band, that's when they're being influenced.

clearly, you, much like nick, took what i said about depeche mode influcing cash seriously...

i mean, fuck, if i cant express an opinion.. i am one, of a very Very small minority who just doesn't like, relate or even rate cash that much, i really just dislike country music as a whole, as for a boy named sue, i don't like it, i genuinely don't... as i've said, i've tried liking cash, i just don't... i prefer nin's version of hurt...

but to have about 5 people jump down my throat for defending my opinion, and to be told i know nothing about music because of it... fuck... you'd swear he was you're founding father.. i doubt id get this emotional a reaction for giving george washington shit...

and sof, my statement can be taken as assholish, as can your two faced nature, but thats a matter thats neither here nor there...

clearly, you, much like nick, took what i said about depeche mode influcing cash seriously...

i mean, fuck, if i cant express an opinion.. i am one, of a very Very small minority who just doesn't like, relate or even rate cash that much, i really just dislike country music as a whole, as for a boy named sue, i don't like it, i genuinely don't... as i've said, i've tried liking cash, i just don't... i prefer nin's version of hurt...

but to have about 5 people jump down my throat for defending my opinion, and to be told i know nothing about music because of it... fuck... you'd swear he was you're founding father.. i doubt id get this emotional a reaction for giving george washington shit...

and sof, my statement can be taken as assholish, as can your two faced nature, but thats a matter thats neither here nor there...

It's not really that you stated your opinion, it's that you stated your opinion as fact. (Example: I think Nine Inch Nails was a flash in the pan artist from the mid-nineties or Nine Inch Nails was a flash in the pan artist from the mid-nineties and he owed the song Hurt to someone who could actually sing it. The first one pisses you off less, no?)

And fuck off, George Washington was the shit! Your monkey ass couldn't pull of a powdered wig and wooden teeth like he did, motherfucker fought a war over tea! He was THE origional gangsta!

Doj, I thought Nick mad eit clear, but I'll essentially repeat what he said.

Your opinions are fine, but you said a few things about his influence in the world of music that are just plain, unequivicably and objectively wrong. To underscore his legacy and influence like you did just provokes people to defend him.

Doj I've no problem with you but, don't insult our intelligence by pretending you were jokeing with

ok, i appreciate what you say.. but as i said.. i have tried to like cash... i just don't... and i don't see how he influences so much music... if anything nine inch nails influenced him and his song choice in the form of hurt, same with d-mode and personal jesus...

you were deadly serious and tryin' desperatley to win a loseing arguement, after this little nugget of wisdom any semblance of logical thought was thrown out the window. Nick then explained to you how and why you were wrong and you reply with pretending you were only jokeing. Just hold your hands up admit you were wrong and move on.

As i said I've no problem with you but, shit like this is why so many people here do.

Archived