Hondo's Bar

Johnny Cash

The NZA

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

johnny who???

*runs*

nah, i love the Man in Black, unless I'm drinking, becuase then it involves me in this weird 'depressed but ready to rip your eyes out' state.

Has anyone here read his book? twas a very hard read, but worth it. He talks a lot about traveling, his wife, and his addiction to meth. Really interesting.

and sof, my statement can be taken as assholish, as can your two faced nature, but thats a matter thats neither here nor there...

Elaborate on this my dear friend!

2 Faced Nature? My 2 faced nature vs your full of shit approach to everything. If you can't be honest, then don't spout the shite!

Quite simply, i think you're alright guy, you just need to stop filling people with shit, lying, exageratting about what you've done, not done, whatever the case may be. You get all uppity when people call you on it.

I don't care whether or not you were joking or not, it was just you wouldn't let it enter your head that people wouldn't get the context you had in your head. Its very hard to read sarcasm, and jokes in what is written by and large, when most of your stuff is normally the exact opposite of the consensus.

I had no issue with what you were saying, as it was your opinion, and thankfully we live in a free world where we are encouraged to have these, but to be so flippant was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

I've no beef with you, but i would appreciate your expansion on your two face theory.

Fuck its the internet man, but jesus, think what you want (if thats what helps you sleep at night). I don't give a fuck.

That's right, i forgot about that scene. I really do gotta read that book, its funny cause i learned about it when Cusack mentioned it in High Fidelity.

Jumbie & :love: showed me that Marty Robbins actually does slightly better covers of "Ghost Riders in the sky" and "Streets of Laredo", ive been trying to see if i could find any tracks they did together since. Also, again, George Thorogood does some good Cash covers as well.

yeah that one. It was pretty similar, however, some small details were changed, one of the being that Cash had never once seen Elvis use drugs. Whereas in the movie Elvis offered his forst meth pill.

You talking about Walk the Line or the made-for-TV movie with Mark Collie?

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny Cash? Wasn't he the guy that based a whole career on just ripping off NIN and Depeche Mode? I bet he died cause he couldn't afford proper medical treatment after NIN and Depeche Mode took every last dollar from him in court in a very successful intellectual property theft case.

yeah it was the made for TV movie, the book has been out for years, Walk the Line is fairly recent.

Cash got all kinds of critic acclaim for his covers. The Hurt video was almost painful to watch, he was quite the mover and shaker in his early years.

i thought it was great that he gave the newer generation of musicians props by covering their songs. It's not everyday that the old dogs give the new dogs credit for being creative.

in his book he talks about 'the country' alot, he also had a very good relationship with his father, who never once (according to cash himself) blamed Johnny for his brother's death. I guess they thought they needed to make more drama about his life than what was really there.

he was just a guy trying to live his dream who got lost for awhile, he was into to drugs (which made some pretty funny stories that i would have rather seen in WTL) and found love.

He was also close with Bob Dylan and Shel Silversteen, who wrote "a boy named Sue' and he and Dylan jammed together and helped each other write songs for many years.

I've been a Cash fan for years, as well as a Bob Dylan fan.

*be's a dork*

in his book he talks about 'the country' alot, he also had a very good relationship with his father, who never once (according to cash himself) blamed Johnny for his brother's death. I guess they thought they needed to make more drama about his life than what was really there.

Well it's tough to shoot a remake of Ray with white people if you don't artificially inflate the drama with antagonism.

Seriously though, I liked the movie.

Dr Girlfriend: Check out my Cash Vs Dylan thread fotr soe of the fierciest debate since Braveheart Vs Gladiator.

... I was getting to that. He founded East 17, made a name for himself which got him recognised by Dr Dre(Britney Spears Manager), and left 'em for the fame & fortune of LA(where he experimented with a vast number of illicit drugs as a way of coping with shattering his ankle jumping off the world trade centre pre-911 in an effort to bring parkour to America). East 17 in the meantime, went to the dogs without their star. Used to his rockstar attitute & tantrums, they replaced him with 3 4-year old bengal tigers kept on a steady diet of yoghurt & donkey semen. Bringing back the edginess to their act, they toured the UK but on their last leg(a gig in a Welsh retirement home for the necrophiles) tragedy struck as one of the tigers, suspecting Brian(the one with the hair) of raiding his kit bag of heroin lashed out & physically attacked the other two tigers onstage. The other point of significance on this incident was that Doj was actually meant to be joining them onstage not long after, as a kind of tip-of-the-hat to his roots. He subdued the offending tiger, and with Rachel among the audience, let the necrophiles have at it.

I think I got that right. I've spent the last two weeks mainlining the adrenal glands of dutch midgets with Doj & Elton John('cause he's that hardcore) and this is really just second-hand info.

Archived