Hondo's Bar

Review - Rocket from the Crypt live!

Seriously a contender for best gig ever! San Diegos finest (well their main competition are POD, Blink182 and Jewel) blitzed all before them in a cacophany of blistering guitars and of course, the brass section! The venue itself holds about 500 people so it was very easy to get up front, and thankfully despite the sheer volume of the music, the crowd were very cool, never invading space.

Support was from Irish band The Dudley Corporation was refreshingly not shit. Got their album at the gig, a bit of shoegazing going on but the machine-gun drumming and big riffs make up for it...

While waiting on RftC, got talking to a very cool Bristol woman, Lindsay (I think but being drunk I could be wrong) who forewarned me (as I'd not seen em live before) that 'they were gonna blow my 'ead off'. She was partly right, by the end of the show all that was left of me was a pair of smoking boots! Anyone who wants to know what I look like, just get a mental image of a pair of feet, typing with their toes!

All the songs from latest album Group Sounds were brilliant, the songs really intended as live stormers. Straight American Slave sent em firing out of the blocks and they held the pace, barring a couple of pauses, for the full hour. Middle, Born In '69 and On A Rope in sequence are an obvious highlight along with White Belt, Young Livers and Pushed.

They're the sort of band that you really have to see em live to appreciate them as a band. Singer/guitarist Speedo is an excellent frontman but he's had years of experience. Their sound live is a haze of huge punk guitar riffs with blaring trumpet and sax over it. Speedo belts out the vocals with veins popping from his neck and four band members shout out on backing vocals.

And at the end of it all, in the bar RftC's own Bez, Dirty offered to put me on the guest-list for Belfast, unfortunately shit just conspired against me or I'd be there right now! This is a band that I cannot recommend highly enough live, Heartless and Defgoddess if you see this, I know they're playing around California at the start of June, RftC are the exception to the rule of no good American bands being about!

King_Of_Snake.gif   King_Of_Snake.gif   King_Of_Snake.gif   King_Of_Snake.gif   King_Of_Snake.gif

5/5 - and not given out lightly!

• 2 weeks later...
This is a band that I cannot recommend highly enough live, Heartless and Defgoddess if you see this, I know they're playing around California at the start of June, RftC are the exception to the rule of no good American bands being about!

Did you see this? Ever heard em? They playing anywhere near you?

LINK->Check out their website.