Hondo's Bar

Next gen: 360 vs PS3?

Next gen systems  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sony's selling like 20k PS3s a week right now, pretty shitty. Of course MS is only moving like 7k or so a week, but that is actually a decent increase from the 1k or so they were doing in the off months last year. Wii is rocking house in the land of the rising sun at 80k or so this last week. DS is still king though selling nearly double the combined sales of all three next gen consoles.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like our Euro hondonians are getting boned with the PS3 bacwards compatibility when the PS3 launches next month. Rumor also has it that newer PS3s may not have BC anywhere. That really kinda blows as the lack of complete BC holds the 360 back a bit, and considering the massive size of the PS2 user base, it's kinda strange to do this.

From 1up

Euro PS3 Scraps Hardware Backwards Compatibility

In other words: Europe's screwed.

By Patrick Klepek, 02/23/2007

Sony needs to start finding ways to save money on manufacturing PlayStation 3s, but most assumed that would come from cheaper chips became and more affordable Blu-ray production. Not so for Europe, however, as Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced today they're actually removing the chips that allow for hardware-based backwards compatibility. They're going the Xbox 360 route and attempting software emulation for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game libraries.

We've contacted both SCEE and SCEA for comment on the issue. What's to stop Sony from instituting the same policy on future revisions of American hardware?

SCEE's rationale is pretty reaching, too. The company claims the change means to generate a focus on PlayStation 3 software, rather than the old 'n broken machines. Does someone want to remind Sony that PS2 actually outsold PS3 in America last month? Clearly, the best response would be to start ignoring that hardware base. SCEE president David Reeves explains:

"Games designed for PS3 offer incredible graphics quality, stunning gameplay and massively improved audio and video fidelity that is simply not achievable with PS and PS2 games. Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

The press release says the European PS3 will be compatible with a "broad range" of original PlayStation games (they're easier to emulate) but a "limited range" of PS2 releases. They'll be launching a website on March 23rd with a searchable list of what will work and promise downloadable patches for more games. Based on experience with Microsoft's updates, however, this announcement says backwards compatibility will be forgotten a year from now.

What happened to Sony's old mantra of complete "legacy" backwards compatibility? Let's help Ken Kutaragi rewind to last fall:

"&the PS3 will feature backwards compatibility with PS and PS2 games from day one. I'm emphasizing this because, from what I hear, there are some platforms that haven't been able to completely do this. It's costly in terms of hardware, but we'd rather [invest]firmly on compatibility from the beginning, rather than to have issues later on."

From what we hear, that's not true anymore.

Ha. What was that you had over Microsoft, Sony? There was something. I mean, aside from a web browser there was this one. Fucking. Thing. That justified this stupid, stupid venture of yours... Shit, should I go grab a dictionary?

Hopefully this means my dream of a world without PS3 will soon be a reality.

I still think the SCEA prez guy was right about Sony systems & longevity.

If they can turn this ship around (i mean, fuck, 360 sure did after year 1) like many expect them too, they could have the frontrunner a few years from now. Bishop thinks its gonna be tough for them to compete with Wii's Mario Galaxy, Animal Crosing, Smash Bros etc, much less MS' Halo 3, when EGM and others think theyll need FF XIII or MGS IV to hang, and neither's confirmed for this year - metal gear is increcible but can be delayed.

I dont see even the holiday season as making or breaking them, but if they miss out there too - with 360 sales spking up this month, from what i read - its gonna be a long game of catchup for them, and i suppose they could continue losing exlusives in the meantime. I just have a hard time seeing them fail in the long run.

Part of my mind still lingers & isnt officially made up. Its not a hardware game for me (ever, really), its just that i get excited about very few 360 games...if i was big on people shooting aliens in FPS id cream myself, but im not. I think this year's Alan Wake, that Alone in the Dark one, mebbe Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyey, Stranglehold etc might interest me enough, but like i said, its eitehr gotta be a slew of interesting ones or a system-seller for me, like uh, MGS IV porting.

You know, I was gonna vote but then I really thought about it and it looks like we may be getting all 3 here. Not at the same time but yes all 3. Javi is for sure getting the XBOX 360, me the PS3 of course, and "wii" share the want for the Wii. :love: hee hee... I thought that was cute.

Microsoft and Sony are two very different companies if you think about it.

Sony are more entertainment/media based while Microsoft are more "lets cram as much ubertech as we can into things". Personally I would go for PS3 as it just seems like the better console overall. Many think that because the 360 was released a good time before the PS3 its guaranteed the greater market share but MS left out quite a lot of crucial features (having to buy a separate HD-DVD drive when we were originally promised HD-DVD playback out-of-the-box, for instance) of the 360 just to rush it onto the shelves ahead of the PS3.

I think Sony made a smart move when they decided to take the high road and hone their console to its full potential before unleashing it onto the market. Judging from past platform wars I think quality ultimately wins out over timing.

They're not though. Have you not heard there isn't even going to be full-backward compatability? And who needs Blu-Ray OR DVDHD? I've played the PS3 & graphically it's not impressive enough to distinguish it from the 360, the OS is generic, and system & games both are horribly overpriced.

I've heard the OS on the PS3 is a bit dodgy then again you dont buy it for the OS do you?

As for the price that'll change as sales increase. What console in the last 10 years wasnt considered overpriced when it first came out? Apart from the Wii of course which was baffelingly cheap

That's nintendo's game. They're the Ikea of console gaming.

And tell any PC user around the world that the OS doesn't matter. In this next gen of console gaming we're surpassing the PCs & with the things these badboys can do requires a decent OS. Compare the two & you'll see what I'm saying.

small amounts of cotton wool soaking up the child of a young hamburger. why?

ask the last thread of humanity you have, it'll say it has a pain it's wrist, which'll not be very helpful to you, but you may be nicer knowing it's not feeling the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so, ive been thinkin bout this and talkin to some of youse about it, thought id throw it out there: i might go with the unpopular vote and run with the PS3 later this year. Here's why.

Was talking to Losifer, Sen's brother, about how Bishop and I were saying Sony's not about to flop here, but im curious what theyre thinking of running with for the holidays '07 to hang with Halo 3, you know? They need the installation base, and theyve only recently started getting good press again (check the PS3 thread).

He & I talked about how, if both are gonna port over, it could come down to just a few titles you lean towards. For him, its fighters like Tekken, and action like Onimusha, Devil May Cry & such. He'd been borrowing a cousin's 360 for a few weeks or something and enjoyed Gears of War, but commented that he thought the system was for people who dig shooting things (like aliens), sports, racing and such. This was basically what i took from the original X-box, and Bish (noramly a more japanese gamer like myself and Los) was praising western games then, but he's been showing me a lotta trailers offa XBL lately to show the more eastern side of the 360's coming lineup, and i couldnt deny that Blue Dragon, Lost Oddysey, Alan Wake, Stranglehold and a few others looked great. But while i think the 360's an amazing piece of hardware with a great future and an online network its competitors cant touch, truth is, i just dont get excited about it.

Now, the PS3 is steeply overpriced (fuck what's under the hood, you know what im saying...fuck i need a blu-ray for?!), and right now, theyre showing me almost nothing to warrant it.

...but then there's Metal Gear Solid 4 and the burning desire to play it as soon as Kojima allows me to do so. Even i cant let perhaps the finale to my favorite series alone sell a system, but throw in another few up my alley - say, Resident Evil 5 and the like - and im saying, i could very well be swayed. Discuss.

Only thing coulda made me consider the purchase was god of War 2, but they're putting that on PS2 so I'll settle for the dodgy port. I got very teary when I saw Virtua Fighter 5 as a launch title for the PS3, but then saw it's coming to 360 so I'm happy all over again. I guess it's different for your kids on the basis that there's still a lot've issues coming out've the woodworks for the European launch. My attitudes have softened toward the PS3 for the moment, but I'm still not moved to buy one.

that's the thing, if i had a 360, i might not be, either. seems to me most gamers run with 2 of the 3, as having all is uh, gluttonous? i dunno.

The backwards compaitbility thing (which i resent hearing labeled a niche issue, i think its bigger than that) doesnt seem to be a factor here in the states, but this emulation the euros are getting looks shady to me, i guess ill wait & see. I like the idea of downloadable PS1 games, but im hopeful theyll get beyond jet moto and the like soon...here's to Suikoden II, RE2, and some of the many, many classics that system saw.

I just read RE5 isnt exclusive, obviosuly DMC and a few others that dont really move me are, and i gotta look into FF XIII tonight...if it isnt the engine from XII i might not be as much on board with that one. White Knight stories looks awesome, for what its worth, but a lot of the other stuff (Obliviion, Stranglehold, Assasin's Creed etc) are ports. They need something beyond MGS4 for me, tho it need not be too much, admittedly. Im realzing now that whereas i call Losifer a fighting game whore, im clearly that for survival horror, RPGs and uh, tactical espionage.

HEY, Hey!

I'm not just a fighting game whore...I think I whore myself pretty well across the board. I too wanna get my hands on MGS and FFXIII (regardless of what engine they use). Plus, I can't stop smiling every time I see the Little Big Planet preview.

Shit, speak of the devil...!

Yeah, that one does look awesome. I dunno, i just really took to the new engine, i mean turn-based is taking its toll on me after wha, a few decades now..? im gonna go read up on FF XIII before i speak further, tho.

ok, like i said in the PS3 thread, read up on it, its the same engine as XII - no more turn-based, so im officially on board for that one, too.

Considering the few im eyeing this year - Darkness, Assasin's Creed, Stranglehold, mebbe Army of Two, etc are getting ported, as is RE5 whenever its done, MGS 4 and FF XII (and possibly LittleBigPlanet too) are still sony's heavy hitters for me. DMC 4 could be fun but it alone doesnt do much for me yet.

Meanwhile:

x360_forum2.jpg

wii_forum2.jpg

ps3_forum2.jpg

Have any of you guys seen a bluray being played on a 1080p set, its amazing.

I can only imagine what Gran Turismo HD is going to be like with that.

Even though us Euros are getting gyped with the BC i'm still really keen on one,

As i said in the Tech Thread, i'm going to have one eventually, not at launch but will have one to form an integral part of my entertainment centre!

Unless it puts Jenna Jameson's tits & Vida Guerra's arse on everything, I'm not convinced it's gonna make everything better. It's not like static lines on a VCR.

Was hoping I'd find a thread about the console wars. I've never owned a console (PC and Gameboy only - now upgraded to DS Lite, and had access to a PS2 in Boston) and am now thinking of remedying that.

My parent's got my sister a Wii for Christmas, and while I love it I think I'm looking for something that I can play Guitar Hero and the new GTA on. Plus I have a DS Lite for all my Nintendo needs.

Price is an issue, athough not the most important, so am swaying towards the XBOX 360. However, the PS2 so roundly beat the XBOX, will the PS3 not do the same to the 360?

I agree with Irish that the PS2 was so dominant, it seems so weird that the PS3 won't be the same.

Also, if I'm going for the 360, is the premium pack the way to go? And what games are worth getting at the start? I've seen packs with Gears of War, and ones with GRAW2. Does anyone know if the premium pack will be released with Guitar Hero 2 and the gee-tar?

I've not seen anything in the way of a premium pack for PS2 with GH2, but with that sun setting in the early eve of the PS3 I wouldn't rule it out and aside from that- I live in the cultural dingleberry of the free world, so what I don't see in terms of game releases could fill that aching chasm in _____ left by _____'_ engagement.*

Lotta folks are still unsure about the PS3 and it's been out there for what? A few months now? I still say the 360's the best but obviously I'm biased. What're you looking for in your console experience MLB?

*I wanted to try something other than the bog-standard 'Grand Canyon'.