Hondo's Bar

Next gen: 360 vs PS3?

The NZA

Next gen systems  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

oh my god, no you did not mock my ma and master system simultaneously. you know what? your mom's like the n-gage: cheap, but nobody's buyin

yeah, way to tell me bout which cables bring the A with the V! do tell me HDMI carries sound, or ill cry.

and moving the compy every time doesnt sound as easy as just getting a long-ass VGA cable with some red/white AV's. Man, i hope this doesnt turn into the mission im envisioning here.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's-the-exact-same-fucking-control-as-the-last-two!!! The Hi def's a great big wank unless you've the home set up. How do people not concieve of this? Only problem is ultimately the fucking thing is between operating systems that live on opposite ends of reality. One doesn't even exist enough to be called generic & the other is so fucking elaborate one'd feel like they need a small dog & an inferiority complex just to work the fucking thing. HEY SONY!! HERE'S A THOUGHT: BIG-FUCK-OFF WINDOWS!!! YOU CAN PUT FUNNY PICTURES IN THEM!! AND TABS! THAT'S RIGHT TABS, SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WANDER ACROSS AN ETHEREAL FOYER FILLED WALL-TO-WALL WITH WANKERS JUST TO DOWNLOAD A DEMO FOR BLU-RAY WARRIOR OR SOME SHIT!!!

Wow, looks like Sony can't get a break, I had honestly figured that Devil May Cry 4 was gonna stay a PS3 exclusive, but now it looks like Sony just lost another one to the 360, geez, what's next FFXIII? (The fates don't love me that much.)

From Joystiq

When Microsoft's Shane Kim told 1UP that certain titles we perceive to be PlayStation 3 exclusives weren't so locked up, we figured that he was talking about the Assassin's Creed or Mercenaries debacle. What Nostradamus here was hinting at was probably this: Devil May Cry 4 will be released simultaneously for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Capcom announced this news in both a late night press release and on their Japanese website as well. Like every good multi-format press release, it goes on to say that each version of the game will take advantage of the specific strengths of each platform. Well, thank god!

Now that Devil May Cry 4 has been announced for all the next generation consoles, we wait for the other foot to drop. While Capcom has gotten pretty cozy with Microsoft, we're interested in seeing just how long Dead Rising and Lost Planet remain Xbox 360 properties.

Guess the poor sales really are hurting Sony. Do you think Joystiq is right concerning DR and Lost Planet, the director of both games has gone to great lengths stating he doesn't want to bother with the PS3, but the 360 is selling like ass in Japan. Who knows?

Edit: Saw this online and had to share, especially for the Hondo's crowd.

123123123123ty5.jpg

yadda yadda yadda...im joinin the sony side of the fence soon, so i cant listen to you M$ fanboys and your endless hate, because SONY RAWSORZ!!!1

on bish's note, an interesting, quick interview with Otaku & EGM on the topic of exclusives, and how economically feesible it is to keep them. Which isnt to say that id be thrilled to see MGS4 or FF XIII go 360: im happy to see more of you guys playing quality games, but Harrison's comment on how he expects more exclusives as console says go up strikes me as completely backward, i see it the other way around.

However, that said, 1up did a fair piece on comparing Sony's fist few months of sales compared to the first few month sof the 360, and why Sony's not doing as bad as some might think....bear in mind, theyre selling more, at $200+ with 2 good competitors than MS did this time last year.

ps bungie_makeover.jpg

Over the next few months the 360 has a just plain sick lineup:

April (Guitar Hero 2)

May (Forza 2)

June (Shadowrun)

July (Mass Effect, Project Sylpheed)

August (Blue Dragon)

September (Halo 3)

Ooctober (GTA IV)

November (Too Human?)

December (Lost Odyssey)

With the exception of GTA IV and GH2 those are all first party releases. VF5, Assasin's Creed, The Darkness, Stranglehold, Tenchu, Eternal Sonata, Command and Conquer 3, Bioshock, Earth Defense Force X, will be coming during that time as well. Not all of those are exclusive either. So in 2008 we have Alan Wake, Fable 2, GoW2 (maybe), Cry-On, Kingdom Under Fire, RE5, Alan Wake, Conan, Infinite Undiscovery and more. And that's just the new shit.

This was a pretty good layout, and more than anything, what should sell a system. i was telling bish that the biggest things i think ill miss out on, for me, without a 360 would be Alan Wake, that other zombie one, and things like the expansion to Ultimate Alliance (anyone know if the marvel MMORPG is multi-plat? ive seen stories saying yes and no).

Looking at the PS3 lineup, if i do indeed get one anytime soon, i think the games id be intersted in of what's out are Obilivion, mebbe Ultimate Alliance, Def Jam: Icon, and Fight Night 3.

of upcoming monhts:

April - Darkness

May - Stranglehold (?), Lair (?), Spider-Man 3 (if it doesnt suck)

June - Ninja Gaiden Sigma

August - Hellboy, Assasin's Creed

Q3 '07: Godlen Axe, Tekken 6, and mebbe Heavenly Sword.

October - GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4 (possibly?!), Beautiful Katamari (?), Home network debuts, demos for FF XIII and LittleBigPlanet.

Im waiting on release dates for White Knight Story, a few of Konami's entries from wiki's untitled/working games page (Guillermo Del Toro's Sundown could be something), Afrika, RE5, Alone in the Dark and such, but overall, i dont think its a bad lineup for year 1. We'll see what else shows up.

Pretty lonely here without bish or newt.

Came across this article that talks about why the author thinks seeing resolution as the be-all, end-all graphic gauge is wrong, even to the point of him saying HDTV is overrated, this gen.

I do agree with a few points, about photorealism being the ultimate graphic goal, and that i expect things to possibly slow down a bit when that's achieved, and why Nintendo sort've jumped the gun with their innovation, as interactivity isnt as much the driving force just yet, but its great that they went for it and i think theyll be heralded for it down the line as well.

Still, there's a lot of other things here, regarding effects and detail - thoughts?

Well, HD was gonna be the thing this gen, with HDTV penetration now reaching a point where it is viable, I agree that photorealism, or close to it is the goal, but honestly we can't get photorealistic yet even using high-end CG, so I think that it is premature for us to expect it on consoles. This gen can push out some pretty amazing shit, and we have barely even started it.

As for Nintendo, we'll see how their decision effects them in the long run, Wii games aren't the prettiest things on the planet NOW, it could be an issue in 2-3 years when the PS3 and 360 really show what they can do. The Wii will get better too, but it really can't compete.

Kojima talked about MGS4 recently, and...well, he still didnt commit to a date, but made it sound like Q4 isnt impossible, anyway.

He's (fortunately) still on Sony's nuts for the moment, which isnt to say that 360 couldnt get a port well past the point of relevance like has been done in the past, and i wouldnt be against it....let it be known, even tho im clearly jumping into the other fanboy camp, its not that i dont wanna see us all playing great games. I just wanna see Sony keep this title, FF XIII etc long enough to close in the gap and ensure the kinda support i think we all know its gonna get, but it could potentially drag its nuts longer in the process than the ps2 did because of the 360's head start, wii's price, etc. I'm not signing any stupid Capcom boycotts - shit, if it wasnt for ports, i might not get to play Oblivion - but again, i dsiagree with Harrisson that Sony's gonna get the exclusives it wont need as much by then when they get their install base up, as i think its the other way around.

Last i checked, it was 2 and half mill against 5 for nintendo, 10 for MS. They need this.

PS (posted same time as bish) - true, but its not exactly 2 GC's duct-taped together....i mean, again, Nintendo's not really competing with MS or Sony, its why both systems can now say nice things about them...its not like its entirely different clientele, but its not exactly the same race, is it?

Yeah, read the interview, though it seems that Kojima's opinions change based almost entirely on the day of the week, he's also said that the 360 could handle MGS4 in the past, so who knows. Personally I'd love the PS3 to get whomped a bit this gen if only to FINALLY have my favorite console of a generation be the winner, yeah I'm bitter, but after Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, and Xbox being the losers ceach gen, I'm kinda tired of it. Heh.

Sony is going to have to put out some amazing shit soon if it wants to catch up, Europe was a good start, but they are still at a huge deficit.

oh, theyre getting whomped on, but theyre not nearly out. Year one is always awkward.

you picked Genesis over SNES? I mean, i was a sega loyalist in the days of SMS, but man, they mustve broke your little heart.

Anyway, he's said it could be done (i think it was, what, a storage issue? they can always make it multi-disc), its just a question of if theyre going to, and again, with the install base MS has, id say its possible but i really hope it doesnt happen for a year or more, just adaquate time to close the gap a bit.

ps until then, we'll always have this

upon reflection, id like to declare bish the true Sega enthusiast. I did the SMS that he didnt, but gave up after Sega-CD all the way till the Dreamcast. He rode that puppy the whole way through, and even went with the big, clunky x-box.

(tho, having a PS2, how did you "lose" last gen? I know you said you bought it later, but...i mean, i had a gamecube too, i still did alright).

Regardless: ill still give it to MS for downloadable content for Ultimate Alliance...for those that dont know...

Wish theydve tossed in Ronin, but its a good batch, for $10. Im still hoping for such an announcement from Sony, its not like they arent looking to pump out crazy downloads for SingStar or whatever.

So, sony's dumping the 20 GB ($500) model, more or less, and MS is soon pushing the $480 or so Elite. Considering both PS3's had HDMI, you really just lost wi-fi and a card reader, since the hard drive's interchangable anyway....while some are hoping for a price drop (60 GB jumps down to $500, 80-120 GB for $600, natch) now that theyre using slimmer/cheaper parts, the lack of an emotion engine bothers me; i may still be all over my HD loaded PS2 right now, but i dont intend to be for years to come, and this "software emulation" thing strikes me as iffy.

Either way, im thinking about jumping on the bandwagon by next month or so. Ultimate Alliance is like $30 on half.com, that and Oblivion should keep me going for a while i figure.

I eventually had all the consoles, but I always felt it was a shame that the poor things just couldn't compete after their competition creamed them. The poor poor Saturn really got whomped. As for the SMS, I didn't have an SMS but I did have the power base converter that let me play SMS games on my Genny. Phantasy Star was amazing.

As for the price drops, if we follow last gen the first price drop should be this may, so we'll see what heppens. MS and Sony are both going to try and hold out as long as they can without dropping the price, though some think that MS might want to wait until A) Sony goes first, or B) Halo 3 hits to get the surge of sales that will come as a result, and then drop the price a month or so later.

I was really eyeing off a PS3 but my bro got made redundant so he came down and built him a new PC its big its ballsy and yes thats 2 screens. I have always had a want for the next big thing and console's dont really do it for me right now. ill pick a ps3 when they drop in price a bit 1g is a little too steep atm for something ill stop playing in a month.

Troy__s_PC_020size.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
April - Darkness

May - Stranglehold (?), Lair (?), Spider-Man 3 (if it doesnt suck)

June - Ninja Gaiden Sigma

August - Hellboy, Assasin's Creed

Q3 '07: Godlen Axe, Tekken 6, and mebbe Heavenly Sword.

October - GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4 (possibly?!), Beautiful Katamari (?), Home network debuts, demos for FF XIII and LittleBigPlanet.

Im waiting on release dates for White Knight Story, a few of Konami's entries from wiki's untitled/working games page (Guillermo Del Toro's Sundown could be something), Afrika, RE5, Alone in the Dark and such, but overall, i dont think its a bad lineup for year 1. We'll see what else shows up.

Ok, some changes: Darkness is prolly may/june, Ninja Gaiden is (i think?) May, Lair is Q3, few others pushed back, Stranglehold is August or so i hear.

Im also adding Jericho, havent seen much Cliver Barker but im interested. Also, Half Life 2: Orange Box is listed for September, anyone recommend it?

Anyway, i just orderd a $6 HDMI cable from Ebay, and im gonna get Ultimate Alliance for less than $30 offa Gamefly. Ive come up with a few plans to ensure i snag a PS3 for $2-300 in May before it possibly gets its emotion chip ripped out, and ill likely pick up Oblivion that day, after reviews/Bish's recommendation. Id ask if i should expect any hondonians to join me, but given the lineup in fall/more and more likely price drop, i figure ill ask again then. Anyway, im excited. :welcome:

plus! Beautiful Katmari is supposely getting a release date of 10/31 :) Im eager to see what game of the series the Wii gets as well.

Oh, and they said Silent Hill 5 is gonna be multi-plat and more like 2 than anything, which should make a lotta folks happy as well. Im not expecting that till '08 either. Christ, every gen i say i wont be an early adopter, ill wait till the good games show in year 2, and everytime, i lie. Ask Bish, he remembers my ps2.

ps fucking hell, those Wii #'s up top of the poll are jumping.

Hopefully, bish & others'll reply to alla that. Meantime, lemme ask a few of you, especially bish & 360 kids: do you have any concerns about the concept of "future-proofing"?

Presumably, we respectively invest $400-600 in the console(s?) of our choice, hoping for access to the best games for the next 4-5 years or so. This gen looks to be more multi-platform (at least between these 2) and this early on, side-by-side comparisions are virtually negligible from what ive seen; PS3 can sometimes boast faster loading and smoother graphics, but its marginal; 360 can boast downloadable content that i hope ps3 one day catches on to, but not yet.

Some/many claim they feel Sony is forcing Blu-Ray tech on them before its a proven thing, despite how things look from what im reading. Point is, Sony upped the cost of their ssytem to include the player, and uses it as its format, despite claims that developers werent necessarily yet clammoring for larger media (though i have read uncompressed games can go to 20 gigs or so, for what that's worth). While others criticize the X-box Elite for not including HD-DVD, some think it was a smart move to keep unproven techonology an option to keep production costs down - plus, its not like you can just start making games on taht format if it isnt the standard, youd alieanate all current 360 owners.

Others stil are content with what their premium 360 brings, or what the 20 GB PS3 offered - after all, HDTV costs may be coming down, and the units may be moving towards being the standard, but were not there yet; so, options like HDMI (and wifi, etc) are pluses that're ideal options for some, but not necessarily the masses if most people are still using standard AV connections (red/white/yellows).

However, are any of you concerned that, during the next 4-5 years, that might change? Granted, you can get adapters for some of what ive cited and just eat the cost, but let's say, the issue of overheating/noise/etc. If you know MS is gonna be releasing systems this fall that're suppoed to correct this, do you feel gypped? The argument can be made that future Sony PS3's might have the rubmle feature, but i can always spring for another controller. Are any of you concerned you might have to upgrade the system itself later?

Let's use this scenario: right now, #'s show PS3's install base, after 5 montsh, around 3 million, with 360's, well over a year now, at 10 or so (given that the #'s of "install base" vs "shipped" can easily be infalted on both sides). A price cut and a solid lineup around the fall/holidays could potentially close the gap a bit, i figure. Once Sony gains ground again, let's say developers start working on ps3 as the standard from which to port games to 360, unlike what were seeing right now. Is there any concern that they might, over that 5 year span, being utilizing the space blu-ray offers (25 gigs, doubled if you go dual-layer, natch) vs standard DVD (4.2 or so gigs, as i recall)? I mean, many want to see Metal Gear Solid 4 ported, but if it turns out (in theory) to be full capacity, which isnt expected early-gen, granted, could you really see a 6-disc port? Sure, MS could release a blu-ray periphrial but nobody'd want to see that the standard game player.

Again, were playing a lot with future ideas that might even look silly a year or two from now, just wanted to talk next-gen consoles and i think its too late to call up Bishop. Lemme know what you guys think, im thinking a few elements of this might make the pricetag not look as bad down the road, especially after a cut.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Gamepro strikes the fanboy drums, but at least puts up a fair list of what both systems have to offer (mostly) this year.

173228-1-1.jpg

While the Nintendo Wii is off and running in a different direction (quite successfully), the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are left in a shootout for honor... and exclusive games. A few months ago, we began to notice a shift in the tides after Microsoft unloaded a volley of its biggest exclusive games: games like Halo 3, Mass Effect, and BioShock.

But now it's 2008, and Sony's poised to win the year with a huge list of compelling PlayStation 3 exclusives. Curious to see how the fight will pan out, we formulated a list of exclusive titles for the PS3 and Xbox 360 coming in 2008 and 2009. With Wikipedia and our own notes as sources, we've constructed the definitive release calendar comparison.

But first, a few ground rules. This list will not include multiplatform games, sports titles, or downloadable software; we're focused on exclusive retail games. That means Grand Theft Auto IV is not a factor on this list, so go read about it here.

The Games

Xbox 360:

1. Ninja Gaiden 2

2. Left 4 Dead

3. Too Human

4. Gears of War 2 (SYSTEM SELLER)

5. Fable 2 (SYSTEM SELLER)

6. Halo Wars

7. Splinter Cell Conviction

8. Alan Wake

9. Banjo Kazooie

10. Halo Chronicles

PS3:

1. Gran Turismo 5 (SYSTEM SELLER)

2. Haze

3. Metal Gear Solid 4 (SYSTEM SELLER)

4. Metal Gear Online

5. Singstar

6. LittleBigPlanet

7. Resistance 2 (SYSTEM SELLER)

8. Killzone 2

9. Motorstorm 2

10. SOCOM Confrontation

11. InFamous

12. The Agency

13. Final Fantasy XIII (SYSTEM SELLER)

14. God of War III (SYSTEM SELLER)

15. Tekken 6

16. Twisted Metal

First off, i dont necessarily expect Alan Wake, FF XIII or God of War 3 this year. Also, i dont know for a fact that Resistance 2 , great thought it looks, is a system seller anymore than Fable 2, which strikes me as niche. I could be wrong, and possibly a few of the others there could be such titles, but i think its important to remember a system's not sold on 1-2 games usually, i think its more the library than anything.

That said, again, i think PS3's got a better lineup this year, with MS having blown the Halo load last fall. I guess we'll see.

Archived