Hondo's Bar

Best Alternative Rock Band

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alternative is a term that get thrown around alot. I'll stick to 90's alternative, grunge and non-grunge. Alternative Rock is defined by Audiogalaxy as:

Alternative or Alt. Rock is a very broad and rather vague term. Originally it encompassed almost any post-punk, non-mainstream music, from REM and the Pixies to XTC and Fugazi. In the early 90s, thanks to the success of Nirvana, Sonic Youth, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers (mostly Nirvana), the lines between Alternative and Pop were blurred. Pop bands adopted Alternative trappings and Alternative bands were marketed to Pop audiences. Everything from the alt-arena Rock of Soundgarden to the retro-pop of Smashmouth is classified as Alternative these days. Once your 14 year old little sister gets over N’Sync she will be totally into Alternative Rock.

Maybe this was a bad idea. I can't make a list of 10 everyone will agree on! ???

I almost picked Live instead of REM. Yes, Live is good. Counting Crows are good too. I threw them in to mix it up and represent another side of alternative. How can you say anything bad about Live? One of the best bands of the 90's (and, I can tell you from experience, excellent in concert).

You know my vote goes for smashing pumpkins.  I've loved everything they've done, from the big arena rock to the quiet electronic stuff and everything in between.  Lots of my favorite bands on here though.  Radiohead, Pearl Jam, STP, and the Counting Crows are all close runners up for me.  And Yes, Shangri La-Dee-Da is excellent, it leans more toward the "Tiny music" side of STP, lots of very relaxing songs, though it has rockers too.  Fine cd, STP is still as good as they ever were.  Good songs off of that one to try out are "Too Cool Queenie" and "Days of the Week"

Haven't had the priviledge to see the Foos live, BUT I have seen Dave Grohl live. He was drumming. Nirvana you ask? The grunge gods? "And we NAY! We are but men!"

Sorry bout that, that's a lyric from Tenacious D's 'Wonderboy'. Tenacious D was the band I saw on the fateful night, with Dave Grohl on drums.

"Blasting forth with three-part harmony!"

I could never be the one to tell what is exactly alternative or not. But this was a tough choice. I went for Live, just because they're one of my all-time favorites (unfortunately, I missed 'em in concert, when they were in town...damn my broke-ness) and I figured they needed at least one vote. But REM, the Chili Peppers, and Pearl Jam came in close.

Umm, I would say Aphex twin, because they/he are a legendary band/guy that pioneered a genre, whereas the strokes are just an up and coming band that you will most certainly be able to see when they tour again.  Then there's the question of price and whether you want to go to a techno concert or a rock one.  I would love to see Aphex live though, it'd be cool and freaky as hell.

PS.  To whoever voted for radiohead, you rock!  They'd be my second choice after the pumpkins, I adore radiohead, nice to know there's another fan of em around here, these folks tend to avoid them like the plague.

I adore radiohead, nice to know there's another fan of em around here, these folks tend to avoid them like the plague.

Who aviods Radiohead like a plauge? Radiohead is great. I put them on the poll after all! It's not like there weren't hundred of other alternative bands to choose from! Radiohead suffer from PRS, Progressive Repulsion Syndrone. People are naturally repel from music that is complex and intelligent if it's not hidden behind intense amounts of testotrone, calling the music gay.

Heh, yeah, I mean, I understand this happens with other bands as well (pumpkins are "those rat in a cage guys" and NIN are those "fuck you like an animal guys") but people really think they've made up their minds about radiohead and they haven't heard stuff from kid A and amnesiac.  I figure a band deserves a second listen if they abandon guitars entirely and become a weird techno band.  Eh well, they don't get to hear cool shit like "Push/pullk revolving doors"...    :D Well, now they are winning the poll, ha!