Hondo's Bar

Upgrading Hondo's software

The NZA

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so i just sorted out this new feature, let's see if it works for the rest of you - you should now be able to rate each topic the way you do each other in your profiles, from 1 to 5 stars. If all went well, in each thread, just check the top right-hand side of your screen, on the first post you see on that page, next to "options" you should see the ability to rate that thread itself.

Much like voting, it'll do nothing in particular for the thread, but its nice to let people know you thought their topic was cool, or mediocre, or you know, one of panch's ideas.

• 3 years later...

well...its getting to be about that time.

later this year, the newest board software looks to be released, and im already looking to see how many skins are available and how much of our custom mods will work/stay (not sure @ the wiki just yet, but i'm definitely making sure we keep the hollabox). some new features:

This version is the next major release milestone of the Forum Software. It includes many promised features such as a new overall design and optimization of the software, a reputation type feature where users can rate individual posts, the PM (Personal Message) system becoming a conversation styled feature (as Google has done with GMail), friendly URLs, and many more enhancements.

o9e9z6.png

topic preview: the ultimate assist for the TL;DR crowd

additionally, ive read we might have the option to make topics threaded, meaning they wont stack the same way - you'd potentially be able to just reply to one single post of your choice in a thread and layer it that way, for when topics diverge.

Full new feature list

since that link is featured on a forum that's demoing what we'd have, notice the links at the bottom to share topics on facebook, twitter and all kindsa shit. next, click on the dude's name and look at the profile - each one of you'd pretty much have a facebook-style page of your own here, with comments, status updates and all - according to said link, fully integrated with your twitter if you like, including background. could be cool. plus, i like that spoiler tags will be built-in the way we had them years back, with "click to show/hide" for images and everything. improved search engine, dynamic/easy URLs for topic, and a skin just for mobile/phone viewing, which could be awesome!

just waiting on a release date, ill update as we get closer. of course ill backup our current board, shut it down for a day or two and keep you guys in the loop.

• 2 months later...

well, the update might be coming as soon as next week; ive been researching it a lot, and it's gonna take a great deal of work...but a few tools are looking to make it easier: for one, there's a hex editor/skin generator which basically means ill be able to make us our own skins, at least the basic ones like this one here (orange, gray & white): nothing fancy, but i should be able to keep most corners looking largely like they do, since i know a few of you fear change.

looking into details right now, such as mobile/phone skins (big part of the upgrade is i want hondo's on iphones/androids/blackberries/etc), and a few mods left to find...right now, there doesn't seem to be a wiki, and i know we don't use it all that often but id like to preserve it if possible. past that, just working to make sure signatures can be kept under control still, past that we should be a go.

oh, might be able to add some Steam integration (for those that care)! god knows there's a good-looking XBL one, but it's $30, and i don't pay that to use the service, so...heh. also, found us a shoutbox, but no idea how it looks, so hopefully, good? stay tuned!

my kingdom for a stillbored

Nza - its free for hondos to get activated.

Just so you know, it will only cost $3 if the buyer wants to get the added features, such as being able to PM/ reply on threads. I just downloaded the app to my N1 for FREE. I can show it to you later.

JZA/ Metalhearts/ Yahve - you guys have android (that I know of), go to the market and search for tapatalk, get the beta (free) and give your opinion see if it would work for hondos. I think it'd be fun. You would be able to take pictures on your phone and post them straight to hondos threads with a quickness!!

see, i like all that...but like you said, to PM or reply to threads, they'd have to pay...but you're right, its not a bad idea to have out there as an option! looking forward to a demo tomorrow on my future your current phone.

ok, i'm gonna need some design help/ideas from some of you guys for the upgrade to carry over smoothly.

1) I'm looking, but not finding a wiki mod...StillB sadly had to ditch the one he made (poor guy got his whole site hacked from it...), so im looking into free alternatives, only found a few sites but they wanna charge us monthly, which isn't happening. if you see/know of more resources, lemme know.

2) I'm gonna contact Losifer/any other hondonians good with imaging, as ive got about 5 forums currently needing logo work...in each case, ive got an image, i just need it adjusted to certain parameters/not looking too much like ass. I'm getting the exact/idea parameters as we speak, so if you can help with this, please chime in/PM me.

3) Looking to smoothen out the forum's front page so it doesnt look like i made it with frontpage in 2002. current logo's fun, but id love just a page with one of these classics and no cluttered links about/under:

hondosignwbkg.jpg

Hondo

2nd one is prolly the easiest, i imagine...just a small white page around it. treating that as a default for now.

4) finally - the tabs up top the board's main page...i know they get slept on, and half of them are a sloppy mess, anyway. but id still like to have tabs for our art gallery, donations, mebbe the F.A.Q., etc. i'm looking into if they can be custom tabs as part of the board itself (as seen below our "i heart hondos" logo - reads "Shoutbox", "Awards", "Calendar" etc). not sure about this yet, but if anyone has input/ideas on redesigns here - or even just which tabs up top you value & would like to see kept as permanent links (note that all these pages would still be accessible, but they might be harder to find, which im ok with since a number of them aren't all that relevant for day-to-day hondo's, and im really trying to give our main page less clutter)...again, post your thoughts!

yeah, uh...either we're getting quietly hacked, or something's up with DoJ's PC.

My pc is good. Just the skin on the main page looked different to normal... :D

Waitaminnit, I think I know the problem here.

DoJ, are you seeing Mario in other places besides on the computer? Is there a Mario in the room right now?

I wish, sir. I wish.

Archived