Hondo's Bar

Music Roulette

MetalHeart

erm.... what?

Yeah...that's pretty much the universal initial reaction to Daniel Johnston. I actually whinced when it came up as the chosen track. Runner up reaction is "is this guy retarded or something?" But I personally often find some rare honesty and brilliance underneath that. That song isn't the best example (30 years old and recorded with a essentially a walkman), but still.

Moving on.

512 - Nirvana - Sappy

2,336 - Godbox - The Only Time

101 - Saul Williams - Black Stacey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Another cool point for 2track.

There are times I've been in a mood and had him on a loop and wanted to make a thread, but it's one of those things that people generally just look at you funny for getting something out of. I ceased pushing him or even playing him in mixed company many years ago.

The raw realness of some of his stuff can just take my breath away sometimes. There's no bullshit with Daniel.

Yeah, I snagged me a Space Ducks.

I live in Texas dude, more importantly, near Austin. He's a local hero to a dedicated group of us.

He used to go into my comic book store and trade these little drawings of Captain America and shit for comic books, then the store would sell em for a few bucks. I have a stack of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...