Hondo's Bar

Ghostbusters

Ganny McVagflaps

gbgame.jpg

Below, you can find some videos currently making the rounds on YouTube. They appear to show demo material for a GHOSTBUSTERS first person shooter -- looking a bit tougher and grittier than its 80s progenitor. The videos are attributed to ZootFly, whose site you can access HERE.

The top video feels like it might be a GEARS OF WAR mod of some sort...perhaps built to simulate a potential GB game? Although, the quantity and quality of the material below suggests there's much more to this story.

If we're not gonna get a new movie...this might be a mighty fun substitute. Even if all of this is nothing more than an elaborate hoax, it's a damn fine one that should point The Powers That Be towards a very obvious conclusion: I'm thinking we really need a game like this.

Now!

Man, I hope this shit is for reals....

that looks to nice to be faked...right? RIGHT?!

man, i could normally give a fuck about FPS's but that does indeed get me hyped, even if they knida fucked up the Ecto-1 in that 3rd video.

If they do this with the expected GTA like enginge, i want it done right. This could be so cool.

Good news and bad news.

From Destructoid

First the good news -- according to Zootfly CEO Bostjan Troja, the Ghostbusters game footage clips that we reported on Sunday were very much real.

"What you've seen is indeed in-game footage of early prototypes on the Xbox 360, running on ZootFly's proprietary engine," he told us via e-mail this morning.

So there you go -- not the Source engine. Not a fan mod. Someone, somewhere was working on what would become a legitimate Ghostbusters title. But not so fast.

As suspected, licensing issues reared their ugly heads, putting a stop to work on the Ghostbusters title. While Bostjan tells us that Zootfly is actively working to resolve the issues with the owners of the Ghostbusters IP, part of the Zootfly team have begun work on another title.

"[We're]currently working on an original game called TimeO, which is closely related to Ghostbusters," he explains. "The game follows the adventures of two die-hard New Yorkers. They get trapped deep in the shadow world of a parallel New York. The city itself is a war machine threatening to wipe out our world and they have three days to stop it.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, Ghostbusters fans; there's still a shimmer of hope for the title.

"As soon as the Ghostbusters IP issue is resolved, the whole team will go back to Ghostbusters."

In the meantime, hit the jump for some footage of Zootfly's TimeO.

It looks cool, but what's the gameplay going to be like? Repetitive is my guess. Clever concept though, working on two projects, both using the same environments, but could they possibly release both? I'm hoping they loose that licence.

• 2 weeks later...

Kotaku loves you

ghostbusters_polygraph.jpg

Dan Aykroyd Talks Ghostbusters Game

Boy, the upcoming Ghostbusters game already has quite the storied, confusing history—especially for a game that hasn't been announced. Let's recap quickly. YouTube videos surface. Fearing further disappointment in life, we doubt they're real. Turns out they are. We rejoice. Then, Sony supposedly pulls the plug.

Now, it appears that the game is indeed on, regardless of whether current developer Zootfly is at the helm. According to Dan Aykroyd (aka the Ghostbuster's Dr. Ray Stantz):

Universal purchased the rights from Sony for a game. I'm actually going to have to perform and do some motion capture for them. That will be next year.

Well, that about wraps that up. A Ghostbusters game is coming, but not before some time next year, if Aykroyd's dates are to be believed. Michael McWhertor

• 9 months later...
The game, seemingly a sequel to the first two films, was rumored to have been in the works at developer ZootFly after a video of a Ghostbusters title was leaked onto the internet. The game now appears to be officially coming to... some unnamed platform(s). The even better news is that original Ghostbusters stars Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd will be involved. Quite heavily involved, actually, as GI writes that the three are helming scriptwriting and voice over duties.

Variety has more details on the recently confirmed undead Ghostbusters video game sequel, including even better news about the game's voice cast. In addition to the three original Ghostbusters—Ramis, Aykroyd and Murray—Ernie Hudson, who played Winston Zeddmore in both films, and William Atherton, famous for his role as Water Peck.

According to Variety, the Ghostbusters game is coming to the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, courtesy of developer Terminal Reality, with more casual-aimed versions from Red Fly Studios coming to PlayStation 2, Wii and DS. The report has plenty of delicious details on the game's genesis and even includes a teeny, cropped screen shot.

Same here. Fact is, I loved the Goldeneye single player mode (I spent alot of time trying to get those time achievements), but it was the multi player that keep that game in my regular rotation for years. Unless Ghostbuster has a sick multiplayer mode, it could be the greatest single player game ever and still not beat Goldeneye in my book.