Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

I love HBO, not only did they grab Preacher, but now they have grabbed the best fantasy novels of the last decade or so.

I dunno how many people here have read the series, a 'Song of Fire and Ice'. It is without a doubt one of the best fantasy series released in years. Much darker and more complex than a lot of what I would consider the more generic fantasy out there, it was refreshing. I have never read a fantasy series where the surprises just kept coming. For those who haven't read it, it is probably closest to the early part of Berserk, but with a lot more politics.

Anyhow HBO has picked up the series, and I can't be more excited.

From Variety

HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire & Ice" into a dramatic series to be written and exec produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

"Fire" is the first TV project for Benioff ("Troy") and Weiss ("Halo") and will shoot in Europe or New Zealand. Benioff and Weiss will write every episode of each season together save one, which the author (a former TV writer) will script.

The series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and the intention is for each novel (they average 1,000 pages each) to fuel a season's worth of episodes. Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

The author will co-exec produce the series along with Management 360's Guymon Casady and Created By's Vince Gerardis.

Martin's series has drawn comparisons to J.R.R. Tolkien, because both are period epics set in imagined lands. But Martin has eschewed Tolkien's good-vs.-evil theme in favor of flawed characters from seven noble families.

The book has a decidedly adult bent, with sex and violence comparable to series like "Rome" and "Deadwood."

"They tried for 50 years to make 'Lord of the Rings' as one movie before Peter Jackson found success making three," Martin said. "My books are bigger and more complicated, and would require 18 movies. Otherwise, you'd have to choose one or two characters."

Aside from writing the most recent draft of "Halo," Weiss recently adapted the William Gibson novel "Pattern Recognition" for WB and director Peter Weir.

Benioff and Weiss were repped by CAA and Management 360.

Edited by bishopcruz

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ah, yeah, no other news on this one, it still appears to be in pre-production, but it's been a quiet year or so since this was announced. IIRC, Preacher got announced on that same date, but no one has heard shit on it either. Hope it isn't cancelled.

In brighter news, apparently there is now a ship date for 'A Dance With Dragons': September 30, 2008. I just pray to god this series gets finished before George RR Martin dies. If he were to pull a Jordan on us I would be pissed.

Edit: For ironic clarification of a 3 year old post.

Edited by bishopcruz

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

From G.R.R.Martin's blog:

============================================================

GAME OF THRONES

HBO Entertainment

Season one will total 10 episodes

Production is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and is will begin principal photography on July 26, 2010.

“Game of Thrones” has received funding from Northern Ireland Screen and will shoot in the Paint Hall studio, Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. A second location for production will be Malta with assistance from the Malta Film Commission.

LOG LINE:

“Game of Thrones” is a new original HBO series based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling novels. In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men vie for power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.

SERIES CREDITS:

David Benioff Executive Producer

D.B. Weiss Executive Producer

Carolyn Strauss Co-Executive Producer

Guymon Casady Co-Executive Producer

Vince Gerardis Co-Executive Producer

Ralph Vicinanza Co-Executive Producer

George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer

Mark Huffam Producer

Frank Doelger Producer

Marco Pontecorvo Director of Photography

Alik Sakharov Director of Photography

Gemma Jackson Production Designer

Michele Clapton Costume Designer

The pilot was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The writers of the series are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (seven episodes), Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin (one episode each). “Game of Thrones” is based on the series of books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin.

The pilot director was Tom McCarthy. Series directors include: Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor. Other directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon

Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy

Sean Bean as Eddard “Ned” Stark

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie Lannister

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark

Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger

Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon

Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont

Kit Harington as Jon Snow

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister

Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark

Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen

Richard Madden as Rob Stark

Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)

Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

FEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly

Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel

Jerome Flynn as Bronn

Conleth Hill as Varys

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo

Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

GUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Josef Altin as Pyp

Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon

Ciaran Bermingham as Mord

Esme Bianco as Ros

Susan Brown as Septa Mordane

Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt

Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen

Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn

Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle

Emun Elliott as Marillion

Lino Facioli as Robin Arryn

Jefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the Vale

Derek Halligan as Alliser Thorne

Rhodri Hosking as Mycah

Margaret John as Old Nan

Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell

Dermot Keaney as Gared

Francis Magee as Yoren

Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark

Brendan McCormack as Ser Vardis Egan

Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy

Luke McEwan as Rast

Kristian Nairn as Hodor

Rob Ostlere as Ser Waymar Royce

Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister

Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel

John Standing as Jon Arryn

Conan Stevens as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane

Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon Targaryen

Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

==========================================================================

God, I'm looking forward to this. :D

I'll add more links later.

• 7 months later...

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk?version=3"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

• 1 month later...

Ah, yes. Dragons. I wonder how many fantasy settings actually have those in them that people automatically associate them with the whole damn genre.

To be fair, dragons did exist in this setting, but still...

It's an excellent series as a book. As a tv series, it's only the first episode, but it seems to be doing well thus far. Unless they up the sorcery in the adaptation, it should be heavily outweighed by intrigue and actual story/character development.

Are dragons not extinct in any fantasy thing other than Dungeons and Dragons, and WarCraft? Seriously, I know the whole "dragons are extinct" thing probably stemmed from movies going "Holy shit, it's the 70s we can't afford that shit" but it's become a trope now. Hell, they're practically extinct in Breath of Fire and that is a game that is about dragons.