Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

Would revealing your suspicions give any spoilers to books 4 or 5? If not, let 'em fly.

My initial guess is it was one of the women from the Acorn hall where Arya is taken by Lord Baelric's men. However, I don't recall a blonde haired woman undressing anyone.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Would revealing your suspicions give any spoilers to books 4 or 5? If not, let 'em fly.

My initial guess is it was one of the women from the Acorn hall where Arya is taken by Lord Baelric's men. However, I don't recall a blonde haired woman undressing anyone.

I think it's Bolton's Bastard's bride. Could be wrong.

I think it's Bolton's Bastard's bride. Could be wrong.

You mean fake-Arya? Why do you think her? And why would a blonde chick be undressing her? I looked again and it was a grey dress the blonde woman was wearing, but the hair was too blonde to be Yara. Not that it really matters as the show never needed an excuse to change up a scene to add nudity.

Just read a very good interview w/ one of the writers. Here's one of the interesting parts that should especially interest book fans:

And it should be noted: We're taking the approach, from now on, that this TV series is one big adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire, so elements from any of the books could show up in any given season, if that's what is required. That said, essentially, Season Three is about half of A Storm of Swords.

Books 1-3 spoilers

Not really a huge revelation as the Reeds from book 2 were taken out of season 2 and Tyrion's history w/ his first wife was revealed in S1. And of course all the changes made to Arya's time at Harrenhaal. All were positive changes in my opinion and served the format of the TV series.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
thpoilerth

Nothing too exciting happened, mostly just some taking care of business by a large swath of characters, moving stories forward, with none of them doing anything particularly interesting. Though Tyrion's meeting with Tywin was cool, as was Tyrion's comeback with Cersei ("that still makes me more clever than you") was a highlight, as was the scene with Daenerys shopping for an army.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Disagree, Jax. Dragon fishing, the de-nippling, Tyrion's dysfunctional family, Jon meets Mance. Although, for the first time I'm actually ahead of the series w/ the books, and it has led to some disappointments--mainly w/ three scenes--

Book 3 spoilers:

1. Jon's reason to Mance about why he wanted to defect. Ffffuuuuhhh! It was so much better in the book. I hate to be that guy, but godamnit the scene in the book had so much more weight. Granted, his reason in the TV show did make sense, but I hope they work in a scene where Mance doubts Jon's motives later on and Jon is able to tell the story about sitting at the "bastard" table. The scene as a whole though was fantastic. Giantsbane was spot on.

2. The scene between Tyrion & Tywin about Casterly Rock's heir was written very similar to the novel, but for some reason on screen it didn't have the crushing weight as it did in the book. Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage are great actors, but I don't know why it didn't work for me on screen.

3. And another small twinge of disappointment was that Ser Barristan was revealed so soon and that there was no fucking Strong Belwas! I hope they work him in some other way later on in the season. Creepy Warlock girl was a nice touch though.

The new credits w/ the appropriately altered Winterfell was sad and cool all at once. Looking forward to seeing Jaime and the other Stark kids, hopefully, next episode.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Disagree, Jax. Dragon fishing, the de-nippling, Tyrion's dysfunctional family, Jon meets Mance. Although, for the first time I'm actually ahead of the series w/ the books, and it has led to some disappointments--mainly w/ three scenes--

Book 3 spoilers:

1. Jon's reason to Mance about why he wanted to defect. Ffffuuuuhhh! It was so much better in the book. I hate to be that guy, but godamnit the scene in the book had so much more weight. Granted, his reason in the TV show did make sense, but I hope they work in a scene where Mance doubts Jon's motives later on and Jon is able to tell the story about sitting at the "bastard" table. The scene as a whole though was fantastic. Giantsbane was spot on.

2. The scene between Tyrion & Tywin about Casterly Rock's heir was written very similar to the novel, but for some reason on screen it didn't have the crushing weight as it did in the book. Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage are great actors, but I don't know why it didn't work for me on screen.

3. And another small twinge of disappointment was that Ser Barristan was revealed so soon and that there was no fucking Strong Belwas! I hope they work him in some other way later on in the season. Creepy Warlock girl was a nice touch though.

The new credits w/ the appropriately altered Winterfell was sad and cool all at once. Looking forward to seeing Jaime and the other Stark kids, hopefully, next episode.

1, agreed. That was fairly poorly done.

2, also agreed, I feel they've made Tyrion out to be too light hearted in the tv show, along with Tywin.

3, also agreed. Part of the joy of the book was having Mormont try to figure out who he was until the big reveal and Dany casting them both out.

Only other thing I didn't like was how cut short Davos' time on the Merling Spears was and how he got to see Stannis before being locked up in the dungeon. It is seriously out of character with how he is in the book. Other than that, a great episode.

mL8l0CU.jpg

bxg7L4w.jpg

1kNLnnC.jpg

Also this :NSFW:

LOS ANGELES—After an extended hiatus, HBO’s Game Of Thrones kicked off its third season last night with a scene featuring every one of the epic fantasy drama’s characters being rapidly fingered as they discussed the arrival of the winter season. “Winter is coming, and with it a dark scourge that shall leave no man untouched, no kingdom unconquered,” says one of the show’s protagonists, Jon Snow, as the characters Catelyn Stark and Mance Rayder rapidly insert their fingers into his rectum while the rest of the show’s extensive cast also expound on the return of winter while having their own anuses and vaginas vigorously fingered. “These are dark days that await us, brethren. May the gods show us mercy, if indeed mercy they have.” Though viewer reception to the season premiere has been positive, fans of the hit series were reportedly disappointed that the episode failed to resolve the previous season’s cliffhanger in which a nude Tyrion Lannister eagerly masturbated a dragon for half an hour.

Edited by axel_napalm

The Onion article was hilarious! Ditto for Arrested Thrones pic. But Brienne as Joan in Mad Men? Not cool.

1, agreed. That was fairly poorly done.

2, also agreed, I feel they've made Tyrion out to be too light hearted in the tv show, along with Tywin.

3, also agreed. Part of the joy of the book was having Mormont try to figure out who he was until the big reveal and Dany casting them both out.

Only other thing I didn't like was how cut short Davos' time on the Merling Spears was and how he got to see Stannis before being locked up in the dungeon. It is seriously out of character with how he is in the book. Other than that, a great episode.

Ross agreed w/ me on not one, but 3 separate points!?!? Oh, wait...did you just April Fool me? Cheeky.

Book 3 spoilers:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt cheated by that scene w/ Tywin & Tyrion though. Sometimes the memory of what you read is off from the actual text. Anyway, I felt like the TV writers thought it was an important scene; they gave Tyrion that scene w/ Cersei prior to set up Tyrion's hurt and disappointment over how Tywin treated him. However, when they got in the room it was kind of like Doj wrote, too lighthearted. In the book you could feel the hate and disgust seething off Tywin for Tyrion and likewise Tyrion's hurt and shock. I didn't get that in the S3E1 scene. That scene felt more like Tyrion trying to play an ulterior motive (getting Casterly Rock) and Tywin shutting him down as being too frivolous. Where really that scene should've been about a boy seeking his father's love and approval, and the father saying not only will I denying the boy those things, but also saying I have an underlying hatred for all that you are. At best you can only seek my tolerance. That's heavy shit that went down in the book, and it just didn't happen on screen.

I wasn't disappointed in the Davos scenes though. I think the make-up on his face told the story of his time on that rock. Also, I like how she kind of provoked him in the TV series to draw the dagger.

Book 3 spoilers:

In the book it was less personal and emotional w/ her simply seeing his treachery "in the flames." There's still a chance for her to visit him in his cell and reveal that bit of magic happening in the TV series though.

Aye, its a rare day we agree, but enjoy it while it lasts :2T:

But yeah, having rewatched the episode having watched it while exhausted it, I really quite liked it. Its not jumping in at 100 miles an hour like folks would expect and is pacing itself nicely for the joys that are to come.

Favorite part of the ep for me was Nice Guy Margaery Tyrell in the orphanage. Nice human touch in a war strewn place.

Also, Missandei'd get it, along with Margaery (even if she does remind me of a cartoon character stoat that I remember from a youngster).

T3CivuY.jpg

Ross I haven't read your spoilers as I assume they contain book spoilers. Can you make sure to relabel the spoilers if they do?

Regarding the episode, I agree with Jax. A whole lot of not much going on. Pretty much just reminding us who the characters are before starting the season proper next episode.

Edited by alive she cried

So, I liked this episode more than last week's season premiere.

I was glad to see Arya this episode, but her scene wasn't very interesting.

Grandma Tyrell, the Queen of Thrones, may be my new favorite character. Lady Margaery was the shining star of this episode, as her scene with her grandmother and Sansa was excellent, as was her scene with Joffrey, which was played as an excellent contrast to Joffrey's scene with his mother Cersei (Margaery is able to get Joffrey to warm up to her, as Joffrey further rejects his mother).

Lady Catelyn's little dream-weaver monologue was good character development for her, but kind of made her more boring to me.

No Daenerys this episode, to which I say 'Boo!"

Bran's entourage expands, hopefully that will make it more interesting going forward.

Theon Greyjoy is not having a good day life.

The bridge scene with Jamie and Brienne was pretty awesome. By the end she was just toying with Jamie.

I liked the bit with Arya, I especially like the casting choice for Thoros of Myr.

Agree though re: Olenna Redwyne though. Diana Rigg is playing the character as I imagined it in my head when reading it.

I'm liking the Reed's presence too, even though it deviates greatly from how the book handled it.

And yeah.... Theon is just fucked. Absolutely fucked

So, I liked this episode more than last week's season premiere.

Can't say I'm w/ you there as Jon Snow and Daeny are probably tied w/ Tyrion as my favorite characters. Also, how they handled Arya this episode was, and I know I'm being "that guy" now, just not how I remembered it in the books.

Regarding Bran's plot, it seemed rushed and as Ross mentioned the intro of the Reed's went very much differently in the book. But the tone is right.

Book 3 spoilers!

So Orell is alive in the series. I was wondering what they were doing casting someone Jon was supposed to have already killed in the books.

Also I really dug the Meera and Osha interaction. Osha's got another female badass to compete w/. Osha and RIkon separate from Gran and the Reeds in the books when they leave Winterfell, so I wonder if they'll keep Rikon and Osha w/ Bran and the Reeds all the way to the wall or will they veer off prior?

And was anyone else bothered by how easily Brienne was handling Jaime? in the book it was much more evenly matched through the entire fight.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin