Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

Good.

So, I have to be honest. With all you Song of Fire and Ice fans losing it in your pants over how good the third book in the series is, my expectations for this season have been raised significantly. It's probably unfair to judge who these next two seasons (for those that didn't know, while the first two books were adapted into a season each, the third book is being adapted into two seasons) will shake out based on the first two episodes, but I've been a bit let down by objectively fine episodes. I've heard that this season has started to diverge from the books more so than the previous two. I'm hoping that we still get the awesomeness the books' fans have been talking about.

The first two episodes have been A LOT of exposition. Don't judge the whole season by that. They have been a little slow--especially I think for non-book readers. I don't find that the series has diverged too much from the books at all--in fact a lot of the dialogue is verbatim. However, they have cut ahead of a lot of the book plot and I understand why. Book 3 is super exciting, and a lot of crazy shit happens--but there are also several hundred pages of characters travelling that would be simply IMPOSSIBLE to render to film/TV. I mean, seriously characters be all over that shit in the book. This would be a 13 season show if we followed each character on every step of their epic journeys that were documented in book 3. So they show skipped a lot of travelling stuff and brought us right up to speed with the main action. I think this Sunday's episode is going to start to get really good...:)

Man, I totally noticed these in that dinner scene in E1. There's a second episode where Sam makes lemon squares, ya know, Sansa's favorite.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More:

<a href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">MTV Shows</a></p></div></div>

So, I have to be honest. With all you Song of Fire and Ice fans losing it in your pants over how good the third book in the series is, my expectations for this season have been raised significantly...I'm hoping that we still get the awesomeness the books' fans have been talking about.

Hopefully this episode showed you the light, so to speak, on why book 3 puts the rest to shame. Next episode looks to really up the ante and get in to some of the really good stuff.

My two favorite scenes were the one's w/ Tyrion in the counsel chamber and the sequence w/ Podrick. Neither were completely true to the book (Pod is 10 or 11 in the books I believe), but beautifully blended elements of the books in to those scenes to make them great for TV.

Also, I'm totally lost on what's going on w/ Theon in relation to the books. Book 3 spoilers ahoy...

I know The guy w/ the arrows is Roos Bolton's bastard; I forget his name. The one that marries fake Arya at the end of book 3. I guess they wanted to keep the deception element from book 2 in Theon's story. I'm mid-way through book4, but no Theon. I guess this bit about the escape comes up in book 5 or later in AFFC then.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
thpoilerth

Yeah that last episode kicked things up a notch.

I'm guessing Khaleesi is gonna get that army, and as soon as it is obedient, she's gonna tell them to straight up murder that one dickhead.

Heh. If the show follows the books regarding that transaction, it's even better than that.

book3 spoiler

In the book, the slavers are speaking a form of Valyrian, which the Kahlessi speaks being a decedent of Old Valyria. I guess her brother taught her before Drogo crowned him. Anyway, in the books Kahleesi understood pretty much everything the slaver was saying to the interpreter the whole time. She revealed that little secret to the slavers in a most Targaryen way. . .

Can you say, dracarys in Valyrian?I know the Kahleesi can.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
valar morghulis

Re. Theon--couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I don't think he ever said that line about Ned in book 3 though. It was what every reader was thinking though, and I'm glad the show writers put it in. And that Ramsay is a pip. It says a lot when the only way to make Theon get any empathy is to put him w/ a fucking Bolton.

Shit's getting real. :D

Great minds...that's exactly what I thought when I saw that last scene.

Eh...I have a similar perspective on Theon. Although i don't think he dealt with that conundrum as best he could...

The whole story is really about the nature of good and evil and how those two things are never as clear as we would like them to be. There are characters you think are pretty fucking evil--until you meet one that is really evil. Its a story that almost forces you to have compassion for those who are characterized as villians but really, they just make some very poor, sometimes impulsive decisions. Then you find out that the "good" characters actually have created just as much trouble as the alleged villians and it gets really complicated.

For example:

If Catelyn Stark hadn't taken Tyrion prisoner almost none of this shit would be happening.

• Upvote 1

You gotta warm my kitten up before you talk to her like that.

<div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:640px;"><a href="

title="from Alfie Allen, Erin Gibson, Brad Schulz, Brian Lane, Funny Or Die, Will Reese, BoTown Sound, and Ross Buran">Gay of Thrones: Game of Thrones Ep. 3 Recap with Alfie Allen</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/alfie_allen">Alfie Allen</a>

</div>

• Downvote 1

Now that was an episode. So much awesome being thrown around.

For a man with no balls, Varys has got some of the biggest cojones on the show.

Also, I never really cared for the Hound. If he dies, it won't be a huge loss to me. And that Night's Watch man. How the hell has Fatty Arbuckle lasted so long?

This episode proved that I don't give a rat's ass about Jon Snow or Rob Stark. Most uninteresting storylines so far. Wanna see more of Bran's though.

Another outstanding episode. This one lived up to my expectations from the book on every level.

Here's the episode where Jaime Lannister ceases to be a villain and begins his road to likeable if not heroic character. Also, Brienne's hiding some junk in her trunk under that armor. And someone get Ygritt a sammich. I know wildlings aren't the best fed of peoples, but that girl is straight up boney.