Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

This piece of music was absolutely the star of the opening scene. First time, to my knowledge, that piano has been used in the shows score and holy fuck did it get used well.

Beyond this, it was an episode steeped a good bit in fan service to book readers and generally epic epic levels of payoff with Walder Frey and R+L = J type things. Its set up for the next season to be amazing. I hope Jon and Dany team up rather than fight though.

Edited by the division of joy

That S6 finale...

tumblr_n8p1n46klW1qir88ko3_r1_500.gif

Predictions -

Since the next season is supposed to be split into two parts:

Part 1:

Cersi just kinda rulin' shit and being evil.

Kaleesi takes over Kings landing.

Jamie turns on Cersi.

Part 2:

Snow is like, hey Kaleesi, like, white dudes.

Kaleesi is like - yeah i know right?

Final countdown plays

Victory

Iron throne is melted - because that symbolizes the show and symbolism and shit.

End show

...the trump card is how Arya figures into all of this. I'm still coming up with ideas.

Damn. That is an interesting theory about the Iron Throne being melted. I'm predicting though Daeny doesn't make it to the end of the series alive. If you take this whole series as basically the Targareyn's return to power, and that in itself as a restoration of order to this world, she will be unable to bare any heirs. So Jon has got to find a wife to continue the Targareyn bloodline. I just wonder if Jon will also be fireproof or "Unburnt" or, damnit, what was that term Daeny's brother was always using in S1--blood of the dragon?

That S6 finale...

Damn. That is an interesting theory about the Iron Throne being melted. I'm predicting though Daeny doesn't make it to the end of the series alive. If you take this whole series as basically the Targareyn's return to power, and that in itself as a restoration of order to this world, she will be unable to bare any heirs. So Jon has got to find a wife to continue the Targareyn bloodline. I just wonder if Jon will also be fireproof or "Unburnt" or, damnit, what was that term Daeny's brother was always using in S1--blood of the dragon?

If you cast your mind back to S1 when Jon and Ghost fucked up that wight in castle black, jon burned his hand on a lamp when throwing it at the wight, so possibly not.

A lot of the show has been very much about how the world is changing. I mean hell, the mother of dragons and whats her tits spent like 15 minutes eye fucking each other and saying how men have fucked everything up and maybe they could make some real change. This idea of the old world dying seems at the very center of what's going down and I feel like that's why the iron throne will be melted down.

I don't know if kaleesi will make it to the end, but she will be vital in the war for the north because those dragons are one of the only things that will help kill whats coming down the pipeline.

I'm pretty sure Arya is going to fuck something up before the end. She's gonna mean well, but royaly throw the monkey wrench in someone's plans for the throne. I'm predicting she kills Tyrion, not knowing/caring dude is actually one of the good guys. Followed quickly by the internet melting.

My feeling too.

If you cast your mind back to S1 when Jon and Ghost fucked up that wight in castle black, jon burned his hand on a lamp when throwing it at the wight, so possibly not.

That'd be a good one to go back and rewatch. Was his hand really burned or did he just react to it being on fire and throw it down?

Also, coming back from the dead via Lord of Light may have changed him to awaken that Targaryen superpower within him.

I think I may have linked to these guys before, but a shoutout to NewRockstars on youtube. Terrible channel name but they do really great rundowns of each episode and their "things you probably didn't notice" insights are genuinely insightful. Here's one for s6e9 "Battle of the Bastards." (That foreshadowing back to Shaggydog and the chains in S1 !) They haven't put up a S6 finale analysis yet.

HBO confirms Game of Thrones Season 7 will consist of 7 eps and air in Summer 2017

The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series GAME OF THRONES will begin shooting its next season later this summer, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO programming. Production of the seven-episode seventh season will be based in Northern Ireland, while additional portions will be filmed in Spain and Iceland, with debut slated for summer 2017 on HBO.

“Now that winter has arrived on GAME OF THRONES, executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss felt that the storylines of the next season would be better served by starting production a little later than usual, when the weather is changing,” said Bloys. “Instead of the show’s traditional spring debut, we’re moving the debut to summer to accommodate the shooting schedule.”

Season seven directors will include Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Matt Shakman and Alan Taylor.

Locations for shooting in Spain will include Sevilla, Caceres, Almodovar del Rio, Santiponce, Zumaia and Bermeo.

Last week, GAME OF THRONES received 23 Primetime Emmy® nominations, the most of any nominee for the third year in a row. This year’s nominations include Outstanding Drama Series, 2 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington), 3 for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series (Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams), Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Max von Sydow), 2 for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (Miguel Sapochnik, Jack Bender) and Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss).

Season seven credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin and Bryan Cogman; producers, Chris Newman, Greg Spence and Lisa McAtackney.

“I think we’re down to our final 13 episodes after this season. We’re heading into the final lap,” said Benioff.

looks like the scale of the episodes if having them slow down a bit, im reading we're possibly looking at this short season than 1 more (e.g. a 6 ep season 8(.

Yeah, even this last season had a lot of wheel spinning (probably because the writers are just stitching patches of Martin's notes together around their own mediocre ideas.) The last season had better be at least 5 episodes of wall-to-wall zombie on dragon on human action. I want stabbing and fire and also stabbing.

• 1 month later...

Actor Jim Broadbent Joins Season 7

The penultimate season of HBO's Game of Thrones has added the legendary Jim Broadbent to its cast, according to EW. As usual, details on his character are pretty much nonexistent, and all we have to go on is that the role will be a "significant" one.

Speculation seems to be pointing to one of the maesters Sam is set to study under at the Citadel (Archmaester Marwyn, AKA Marwyn the Mage, perhaps?), but now that the show has surpassed George R.R. Martin's source material, it's quite possible he'll be playing someone we haven't even encountered in the books yet.

Broadbent has starred in a wide array of classic movies over the years (Time Bandits, Brazil, Life is Sweet etc), but he'll be best known to the younger generation as Horace Slughorn in the Harry Potter movies.

Game of Thrones returns for its seventh season next year.

tumblr_n744mfrZiq1rlx538o3_500.gif

Not sure who Broadbent will be playing form the books. What key players are missing? Also, the showrunners said they were done introducing new characters and will focus on finishing the story out for their established characters in the final two seasons, so maybe he's someone we saw in flashbacks? Maybe he will only be in flashbacks Bran sees?

42 pages of game of thrones. Well done.

That being said, who's on board with the -- the whole thing is actually being told from Sams POV and might be a bit biased towards Jon Snow theory?

Eh, it's a very fun theory for the series, but I highly doubt it is accurate. And there is no way that theory holds even a slight possibility for the novels.

• 3 weeks later...

Snow/Mormont 2016

From deep within the rich musical subculture of King’s Landing, flute powered Valyrian Steel has stepped forward to gift a valiant battle cry dedicated to the Snow/Mormont victory in the battle for #GOT2016.

Special thanks to Kyle Gass, John Konesky and John Spiker for taking a break from their regular @TenaciousD and Kyle Gass Band programming to forge ‘Valyrian Steel’ for a Realm in anticipation of the Long Night.

• 7 months later...

HBO has four potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development

HBO has closed deals for writers to begin work on four potential Game of Thrones prequel series, IGN has learned.

Each of the writers is exploring various time periods set in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire universe. The screenwriters for the different potential projects are Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island); Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service) and George R.R. Martin; Brian Helgeland (LA: Confidential, Robin Hood); and Carly Wray (Mad Men, The Leftovers) and George R.R. Martin.

Martin and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will serve as executive producers on all projects.

Both Benioff and Weiss are notably absent from the writing teams for potential spinoffs, though. The duo is currently finishing production on Season 7 of Game of Thrones, and Benioff and Weiss are already writing and preparing for the eighth -- and final -- season. As expected and as they have said in the past, they will not be writing any of these other ASoIaF-set projects.