Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

season 7's on its way, so meantime here's The Black Person's Guide to Game of Thrones

What is Game of Thrones about?

The show is about white-on-white violence. The show is about a turf war between different gangs who want to win the ultimate prize: the Iron Throne. And you know that if there’s one thing wypipo love more than territory, it’s thrones.

But aren’t there superpowers, dragons and monsters and shit?

Yes, but the supernatural elements of the show are used as analogies and symbolic metaphors.

Who are the Starks?

The Starks are a family who chilled in their own segregated neighborhood, not bothering anybody. Ned was the father, and he had five kids. He was also raising his nephew Jon Snow. (His sister got knocked up by this crazy guy, and ... you know how we do.) Anyway, Ned let his homeboy convince him to take this “good job,” let his daughter marry a white boy and moved his family into a white neighborhood. Ned fell for the trap, and the Lannister/Trumps cut his head off because Ned knew about the Russian collusion.

Plus, the whole hood is on our side, because they know Ned always kept it 100 until the police—I mean the Kingsguard—executed him.

and all the Starks can fight like a motherfucker—even the youngest girl, whose superpower is that she can blend in with white people..

Damn, I gotta see this! Now tell me about the monsters.

The White Walkers?

Is that your nickname for them?

Nah, bruh. They are really called “White Walkers.” They are blue-eyed, white devils who kill and destroy everything in their path.

Wait. Is everything about white people?

Exactly! But Game of Thrones teaches us that not all white people are the same. That’s what I’m trying to show you, if you’d stop being so racist!

Me? How am I being ... OK, so are there any black people on the show?

Yes. There is a group of castrated warriors who were once slaves, called the Unsullied.

What? Let me guess, they were freed by ...

White people. Yes. A blond lady named Daenerys, who is impervious to fire, was born with the ability to ride dragons and was gifted at birth with dragon eggs that would eventually hatch. Daenerys rode the dragons (or her privilege) to save the slaves. And of course, after she frees them from lives dedicated to fighting in wars for their masters, they decide to spend their lives fighting for her—their “queen”—and help her ride her privilege dragons all the way to the Iron Throne.

But if the show is about politics, white people and privilege, is there someone like Donald Trump?

Yes, they are the Lannisters, the symbol of white privilege. Everyone thinks they’re rich, but they really don’t have any money. However, no one in the Seven Kingdoms has seen their tax returns. They exist mostly by colluding with forces outside Westeros to keep their power by any means necessary. Tiffany Trump is played by Peter Dinklage, who is ostracized by the family.

So what do the dragons stand for?

White privilege.

OK, so are there any black people on the show?

Yes. There is a group of castrated warriors who were once slaves, called the Unsullied.

What? Let me guess, they were freed by ...

White people. Yes. A blond lady named Daenerys, who is impervious to fire, was born with the ability to ride dragons and was gifted at birth with dragon eggs that would eventually hatch. Daenerys rode the dragons (or her privilege) to save the slaves. And of course, after she frees them from lives dedicated to fighting in wars for their masters, they decide to spend their lives fighting for her—their “queen”—and help her ride her privilege dragons all the way to the Iron Throne.

So they dedicated themselves to the white-savior woman because she saved their people’s masculinity. Oh, this is getting kind of interesting. But if the show is about politics, white people and privilege, is there someone like Donald Trump?

Yes, they are the Lannisters, the symbol of white privilege. Everyone thinks they’re rich, but they really don’t have any money. However, no one in the Seven Kingdoms has seen their tax returns. They exist mostly by colluding with forces outside Westeros to keep their power by any means necessary. Tiffany Trump is played by Peter Dinklage, who is ostracized by the family. There are also Jamie and Cercei, twins whose lifelong love affair has produced three children who are all dead.

Man, this sounds interesting now! I just wish there were more black people.

Well, there are the Starks, who I refer to as “our cousins.”

oaco7gbtxiybdfzxlesk.jpg

LOL.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been watching? Good stuff so far, alot of setup for the end. I hope it doesn't get super rushed, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Also, here's an alternate cut of the last episode's ending theme:

• 2 weeks later...

Guys... this season holy shit. That last episode. HOLY SHIT. And there's already only like 3 eps left here. Alot of people say its feeling rushed, but I really feel like this is what it's been culminating to. Finally the big shit is happening and it's amazing.

QvBPpgR.png

Edited by Axels

• 2 weeks later...

These shorter seasons are a blessing. This season is nice and focused. Still some dumb filler and setups, but lots of great condensing of storylines.

Now, I wont say I just watched the leaked episode.....

But I will say holy shit.

kmbiQf6.png

Crazy prediction time.

Regarding Arya: I didn't know what to make of her "threatening" Sansa. Of course, Littlefinger meant for her to find the note and get pissed at Sansa, but Arya is way too fucking smart to fall for that shit. My guess? She let Sansa find her faces. She KNOWS what the hell Littlefinger is up to. So? Sansa teams up with her, they steal his face, and still get the Knights of the Veil.

I also feel like showing Cersei the Whitewalker is going to backfire big fucking time. But not in that it's a trap or anything. This is kinda out there, but in my fanfictiony head, I see Cersei seeing the wight and being seduced by its power. It proves that resurrection, or hell, immortality is conceivable. She kind of sees this with the Mountain, but this is whole new territory. I'm guessing that she somehow forms a pact with the Night King. Becomes the NIght Queen (or sacrifices her unborn kid, gives it up so it can live forever or some motherly shit), and season 8 is the Frozen King's Landing saga.

So do you guys think it's moving too fast now? I don't personally. I'm excited to see how it ends, and think that the build up for it has been adequate. I've just been seeing alot of write ups and people (mainly book fans) bitching that it needs to slow down. I'm just curious what others are thinking. I feel like last season was the best one yet, and this one is right there next to it.

^i'm the opposite; i'm trying to turn off my brain to stuff like magical chains (wait, can't night king just have raised his target right out of the water like he's done) or fast travel (fuck me, that sparrow was fast & the zombie horde must be like a half mile out from the wall) etc, but characters are still very much doing dumb things for dumb reasons that basically just serve to advance the plot (tyrion's entire "let's show her a zombee" thing is terrible) & while i'm enjoying the speed at which shit's hitting the fan right now, i'm comfortably done when it wraps up. it we'dve had another season meandering about between now & the last one, i think i might've just checked out & waited till it was done to hear how it went...but god knows if i don't catch it soon as possible, the net finds innovative ways to spoil - you really can't even look at what's trending on twitter that night

Vox: Game of Thrones will disappoint us in the end

Game of Thrones is going to disappoint us in the end.

Not because its seventh season wasn’t its strongest or because of its pretty damn mediocre season seven finale. Not because of the struggles the show has faced since it outpaced its source material.

Rather, Game of Thrones is going to disappoint us because it’s put itself in an impossible position, and no matter what happens, its ending will dissatisfy many, or even most, of its viewers.

Since its very beginning, the show has been built atop three pillars, all of which have contributed to its popularity: the heroic fantasy, the subversion of that heroic fantasy, and the detailed history of Westeros. As I've written about in my book on the series and elsewhere, Game of Thrones has derived an astonishing amount of power from being both a traditional fantasy story — one where kids come of age, embark on magical quests, and discover that they’re the true heirs to the throne — at the same time as it subverts traditional fantasy story tropes. Ned Stark and Robb Stark’s deaths, the rises and falls of Stannis Baratheon, Daenerys Targaryen’s difficulties in Meereen, and especially Jon Snow's betrayal and murder at the hands of the Night’s Watch are all tragic stories that traditional fantasy doesn’t normally tell.

And all along the way, both the HBO series and the George R.R. Martin novels on which it’s based have gone into a tremendous amount of detail to fill in the entire story of Westeros and much of Essos at the end of the world. The detail of Game of Thrones has been a tremendous strength — its world feels solid, lived-in, and real enough to support an ever-escalating, apocalyptic story within its fantasy setting.

But as the show now hurtles toward its endgame, it has only six episodes left to braid these three major elements into a single resolution. The problem is that each of them lends itself to a completely different type of ending, and all of them will upset viewers for one reason or another.

Game of Thrones must choose a heroic, subversive, or history-based ending — it’s impossible to successfully achieve all three.

personally, i think i'd be most disappointed with a happy ending, but i really can't see it going that way

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...