Hondo's Bar

A Game of Thrones

Bran and Cersei/Elephant memes alone make this episode a winner. I'll be honest, I was hoping for a bit more action considering this is such a condensed season. However, I'm not calling it a bad episode by any means. Looks like next week shit is gonna get real though.

Anyone else thinking of 

Pete's Dragon when Jon climbed aboard Rhaegal? I mean, it's a green fucking dragon. Also, the memes from Drogon watching Jon and Daeny kiss are pretty great. Oh shit, and that last scene where we find out what "friend" Bran was sitting his creepy ass out all night in the freezing cold waiting for. So great how the last scene of the first episodes  for the first and last seasons end with those two.

S8E1:

Grade of B+ for content.

Grade of A+ for memes.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Spoiler

I liked that they aren't just parking the 'good' guys into one side for a simple living vs dead battle.

Sansa especially made this episode work. She's not as smart as she thinks. Everyone got caught up in the Littlefinger revenge and started declaring Sansa had come full circle and I think this episode proved she's got a ways to go.. She's still annoying and out of her depth.

Ironically, she seems to think she's Cirsei in her head, but she still has to grow more to be any kind of manipulator on that level and is just needlessly antagonistic and maybe even a bit power hungry.

I'm also glad that they're playing up the execution of Dickon and what that means for the kind of Queen Daeneris is. There's all this talk from the Onion Knight etc about Jon and Dany being an honorable good couple and I think that needs to be questioned and the episode does that.

And that leads into the other good bit which is that Jon just found out about his father in a way that undermines his relationship with Dany in the best way. He's going to be keeping secrets and also he has to worry about if she's really moral enough to be a good queen for him to place the North under. Plus the next time he goes for waterfall time with her, he's going to have to have to work through the 'aunty' issues.

And this is all stuff going on between the 'good' guys.

Edited by alive she cried
Added spoiler tags

Spoiler

Sansa: *Looks at Theon* "You tried to destroy my family, but lemme hug you and entrust you with the life of my brother."

Sansa: *Looks at Jamie* "You tried to destroy my family, but my bodyguard vouches for you so I'll trust you to join our ranks and wander around at will."

Sansa: *Looks at Daenerys* "Bitch, I don't care if you stopped your invasion to help us out. What about the north!?"

Added spoiler tags
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

While I agree to a point on the above, Theon did help her escape Winterfell when she was being used as Ramsay's pin cushion.

I think he's being set up for a redemption death.

Also, what's the betting that Podrick goes full on Neville Longbottom in the next episode? Its totally foreshadowing that he's either going to do something full on heroic, or something full on stupid.

Added spoiler tags
  • Upvote 1

On 4/23/2019 at 10:07 AM, the division of joy said:
Spoiler

Also, what's the betting that Podrick goes full on Neville Longbottom in the next episode? Its totally foreshadowing that he's either going to do something full on heroic, or something full on stupid.

https://youtu.be/hooKVstzbz0

Added spoiler tags
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

I’m gonna disagree with your analysis on Sansa.  She seems like the only one standing up for what the northerners are thinking and that’s what a leader should do. Maybe she’s doing it in a way you don’t like, but dany is progressively getting more power hungry and oppressive.  She defends her family and the community, something she didn’t do before.

Added spoiler tags
  • Upvote 1

So what's your dead death pool predictions for S8E3, Hondo's ?

Spoiler

After S8E2 I'm almost certain Ser Brienne is gone.

Ditto for ya boy Grey Worm.

Bran and Theon? Buh-bye.

Podrick? Via con dios, muchacho. 

Ser Baeric? The night will be dark and full of terrors for him.

Gendry? 50/50

Ser Jaime ? 50/50

Tormund?  50/50

If any of the other main cast go this week (Jon, Arya, Sansa, Daeny, Tyrion, Hound, Varys, Bronn, Davos, Sam, Gilly, etc.) I'll be genuinely shocked.

Added spoiler tags

Spoiler

I mostly agree with the above, however I think, sadly, Davos is gonzo. He's admitted time and time again he's not a fighter and he's such a beloved character at this stage, it would be an emotional gut-punch.

I think Bran survives but Theon gets a redemption-hero death.

Other than that, I think Varys and Gilly/Little Sam may go also as they're fairly periphery at this stage and are things for the viewer to gasp at.

My current hot take/future freezing cold take:

I've a feeling Jorah is about to absolutely fuck the white walkers shit up in this episode. Like, bending them over a bath asking them if they've ever had their shit pushed in style of fucking shit up.

Added spoiler tags

Spoiler

Also, one thing that's annoying the all living fuck out of me are all the characters saying "The crypts are the safest place in Winterfell". Well, maybe. Apart from the fact they're surrounded by generations of dead starks and are about to fight someone who can raise the dead.

That'll go well for the women and children.

Added spoiler tags
  • Haha 1
  • Problematic ™ 1

18 hours ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

18 hours ago, Mr. Hakujin said:
Spoiler

So what's your dead death pool predictions for S8E3, Hondo's ?

After S8E2 I'm almost certain Ser Brienne is gone.

Ditto for ya boy Grey Worm.

Bran and Theon? Buh-bye.

Podrick? Via con dios, muchacho. 

Ser Baeric? The night will be dark and full of terrors for him.

Gendry? 50/50

Ser Jaime ? 50/50

Tormund?  50/50

If any of the other main cast go this week (Jon, Arya, Sansa, Daeny, Tyrion, Hound, Varys, Bronn, Davos, Sam, Gilly, etc.) I'll be genuinely shocked.

Spoiler

You are insane if you think Bran's going out next episode, he'll survive the series.

p.s. we all (myself included) have let some big spoilers fly the last page or so, so let's please go back to the tight ship I'd been running here. Any spoiler, big or small is to be tagged.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/25/2019 at 3:32 AM, the division of joy said:
  Hide contents

I mostly agree with the above, however I think, sadly, Davos is gonzo. He's admitted time and time again he's not a fighter and he's such a beloved character at this stage, it would be an emotional gut-punch.

I think Bran survives but Theon gets a redemption-hero death.

Other than that, I think Varys and Gilly/Little Sam may go also as they're fairly periphery at this stage and are things for the viewer to gasp at.

My current hot take/future freezing cold take:

I've a feeling Jorah is about to absolutely fuck the white walkers shit up in this episode. Like, bending them over a bath asking them if they've ever had their shit pushed in style of fucking shit up.

Yeah, you just don't hand someone a sword like that before a battle with white walkers and not expect 'em to fuck some serious shit up. However,...

It's probably a big misdirect and J. Jorah Friendzone dies in the first 10 minutes. I'm in a weird headspace right now expecting so many characters to die in S8E3 that if too many people survive I'll actually feel a little mad. Anyone else like that or is it just me?

And if Paul Walker is alive then I damn well better see Vin Diesel riding a dragon as he shouts about the importance of family.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:52 PM, alive she cried said:

Hide contents

You are insane if you think Bran's going out next episode, he'll survive the series.

I betcha a pint of Guinness I'm right. 

On 4/28/2019 at 5:00 AM, alive she cried said:

I'll take that action.

He survived the Battle of Winterfell, so he may make it after all. But we've still got three more episodes and a trans-Atlantic flight before the pint can be poured and a winner declared.

So, how bout dat Battle of Winterfell, y'all?

I'm actually a bit disappointed there weren't more big moments. Episodes like Black Water, Hardhome, and Battle of the Bastards, had way more emotional gravitas than this one. I mean, Arya got a REALLY fucking great moment though. Deus Ex Melisandre had a few awesome little ones, as well. Mini-Mormont went out like a fucking beast, too. However, a lot of the dragon stuff was confusingly obscure in all that snow and darkness. I mean, I understand the circumstances of the battle, but it's still a fucking TV show--show me what's fucking happening! Pshh.

Jon was damn near useless as was Daeny. Not sure why their plan didn't involve immediate use of the dragons. Brienne, Jaime, and Tormund all kind of just disappeared after the first act. Sam crying and running was expected yet still cringy. In the books Winterell was destroyed back when Theon took it over, so I was expecting more of it would've been compromised by ice dragon in this episode. 

Theon and Jorrah went out just like I predicted yet they still didn't have as much impact as I'd hoped. So fucking shocked we didn't lose more marquee characters--especially in the crypt--go out. That seemed like a bit of a cheat that only the nameless characters died down there. It's Game of Thrones, not fucking Frasier.  

One thing I really did like that I did not expect was that the Night King never spoke. I'm hoping this was intentionally left as a mystery so there will be at least something in the forthcoming books to look forward that hasn't been "spoiled" by the show. I wanna know more about his generals, history, and motives. So I'm hoping GRRM comes through on that front.