Hondo's Bar

Beer of the Week

soldier of fortune

Ok, so here goes, we're gonna review a beer a week, and seeing as our resident booze hound DoJ is mia or doing an MM, i'll get the ball rolling.

Its important to remember that this is about appreciation versus beer carnage

So i'm gonna open up with a brew that is widely available (well in europe anyway)

Leffe Blond - Belgian Trappist

41.jpg

Leffe Blonde is a classic Abbey beer with smooth and well balanced fruity, warming flavours. The beer has hints of quince, gooseberry, bitter cherry and apple flavours together with hints of cloves, nutmeg and allspice. ABV 6.6%

Originally brewed by monks near Dinant, Belgium, Leffe Blonde continues to be brewed to the traditional recipe created in 1240 in the monastery. Due to a licensing agreement dating back to the early 1950’s Leffe brewing activities moved to the small Belgium university town of Leuven and the Abbey still receives royalties on sales. Leffe Blonde with its distinct heritage and appealing taste is without doubt the number one among Belgian Abbey beers.

Info taken from specialitybeerselection.co.uk

Leffe Blond, i first had this a few years ago at my mate Liam's house, his father poured me this mad cloudy beer, and in typical yorkshire brogue said, "get that into you lad!" From that moment i was hooked... i love this stuff, and always have some in the house.

So lets start with the history of this fine beer.

Firstly, its a trappist beer, which means its made by Monks. Monks make good beer. They really do.

Interestingly enough its now brewed in the same place as Stella Artois is brewed.

So how do i rate this, its lovely, serve chilled in a proper Leffe glass, and its very hard to find many beers better than this one.

I dunno if you yankee kids can get this stuff, but you should try!

4* out of 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

man, now i've a weekend off... fuck bavaria, even at 6 for 7, its overpriced.... i rate it about as highly as i do bud dutch gold and heineken... sub-urine....

anyway... on topic...

rochefort10.jpg

Rochefort 10... a quadrupel beer from one of the finest beer producing abbey's i know of.... it weighs in at a staggering 11.3 percent, but it isn't exactly the kinda beer one would go out and have 10 of, in the space of two hours... its the kind of beer you sip over...

the brewery itself produces another two beers, the 6 and the 8, but nothing as spectacular as the 10, purely because of its complexity....

from wikipedia (i couldn't describe the beer better)

Reddish-brown colour, with a very compact head and an aroma of figs, feels like honey in the mouth. The alcohol profile is a major component in the flavour of this rich ale. It is very similar to 6 and 8, but has much more of everything. Some may find the high alcohol content to be disagreeable.

p.s cobra is good, but only good with a curry... i find it gives the most disgusting hangovers in the world... worse than tyskie

in another sense.. its just.. awesome..

Rochefort 10... a quadrupel beer from one of the finest beer producing abbey's i know of.... it weighs in at a staggering 11.3 percent, but it isn't exactly the kinda beer one would go out and have 10 of, in the space of two hours... its the kind of beer you sip over...

there's this small bar in miami called the abbey and i'm pretty sure this is the exact same beer i get there. i don't really like the taste of beer but this one is fucking fantastic. and i agree it will knock you on your ass if you don't watch out. i can have two and be ok for the night.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how this thread works nor do I care. It involves Doj "reviewing" beer, which tells me you people are obviously in dire need of a thread involving the explicit details of my daliy bowel movements, as they are many. The reason I came here, however is to give a big shout-out to Cabana beer. Apparently it's Yank beer being passed off as mexican or some shit. At any rate it's not a bad drop, and at the cost of fuck-all for two cases of the stuff because Alana's da' works for a warehouse that has a surplus of expired beer, the price is right too. Here's to next weekend involving lotsa past-due beer, Wii, and drunken phonecalls for all.

Pray for Michael Jackson

I don't know how this thread works nor do I care. It involves Doj "reviewing" beer, which tells me you people are obviously in dire need of a thread involving the explicit details of my daliy bowel movements, as they are many. The reason I came here, however is to give a big shout-out to Cabana beer. Apparently it's Yank beer being passed off as mexican or some shit. At any rate it's not a bad drop, and at the cost of fuck-all for two cases of the stuff because Alana's da' works for a warehouse that has a surplus of expired beer, the price is right too. Here's to next weekend involving lotsa past-due beer, Wii, and drunken phonecalls for all.

Pray for Michael Jackson

:pinch: Its actually for anyone to review a beer,

Anyway, Cabana beer eh, i'll keep my eyes peeled, its probably not available in Europe!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drank some of that at one of our meetups, thought it was shit to be honest.

In other news on Friday, i had three bottles of

blanc.jpg

Not bad, 5% alcohol, had nice fruity flavours, though tasted a bit sickly after a while, Leffe Blonde is a much nicer beer, and Hoegaarden is much nice than this Kronenberg Blanc. Though it was nice for a change