Hondo's Bar

Beer of the Week

soldier of fortune

Lemme tell you about how we do shit in Texas.

We have found a way to deep fry beer.

Perhaps one of the largest breakthroughs in drunken feasting has arrived. Deep fried beer, invented by a man in Texas named Mark Zable.

What could taste better than beer inside of a pretzel-y dough ravioli pouch, and fried uber deeply for 20 seconds? The alcohol doesn’t burn, it just remains inside of the pouch for consumption. Mark’s cooking method apparently took him 3 years to develop, and he’s now got a patent pending on his incredibly awesome food invention.

This deep-fried beer snack will be debuted in a Texas state fair’s fried food competition late September. You need to be 21 (the legal drinking age in the states), and then you’ll be able to fork over $5USD for 5 of these beer snacks.

The main source of beer has been Guinness, because of it’s durability.

“Nobody has been able to fry a liquid before. It tastes like you took a bite of hot pretzel dough and then took a drink of beer.” – Mark Zable.

Mark has been a very clever food inventor in the past, and hopes that this will grant him some money to dedicate to his passion of inventing new foods.

You've gotta give us at least one cool point for using Guinness instead of Bud Ice.

Lemme tell you about how we do shit in Texas.

We have found a way to deep fry beer.

You've gotta give us at least one cool point for using Guinness instead of Bud Ice.

Awe--waitforit--some! Yes, double cool points for the Guinness.

Speaking of which. . .

I can't believe this thread is three years old and no one has reviewed Guinness yet! Come on!

dsc9792.jpg

"Shame" Guinness Storehouse, Dublin Ireland.

For the past five years or so this has pretty much been my exclusive beer to drink when I go out to a bar/pub. Thankfully it's much more ubiquitous on tap at bars now than when I first started drinking it. I know— a pub with no Guinness on tap? An alien concept to our Irish chapter. Seriously, there were three Irish pubs in the French Quarter five years ago and only two of them had Guinness on tap…and only one of those would serve it to you in a proper pint glass! The other served it in a fuckin' plastic cup, which pretty much meant there was only one real place to get a pint of Guinness on tap in the French Quarter. The French Quarter—arguably one of the most well known libation destinations in the US of A. Sad really. So for years if you wanted a proper Guinness the only real place to go was Erin's Irish Rose. It's a bit of a shithole, but it's one block off Bourbon St., has character (and characters), and they poor as good a pint as you're gonna get stateside. It's still in operation and I always stop by for at least one pint when I'm in the FQ. Currently there's somewhere in the area of six Irish pubs in the French Quarter and all have Guinness on tap. Most sports bars have it on tap now as well, so it's pretty readily available in New Orleans.

Now that availability (at least in my general area) has been addressed, let's get on to taste, shall we. Only an idiot or an asshole will tell you Guinness tastes just as good out of a can or a bottle as it does from the tap. It's barely passable as a Guinness-like substance out of a bottle. If you have your own pint glasses at home and are already a bit lit, you can pour it out of a can into a pint glass and almost convince yourself that what's on your lips is indeed a real Guinness and not the pissed out remains of a real Guinness. The Irish chapter tells me in Ireland it's not as bad out of a can there as it is stateside, but honestly I never tested that statement's validity while I was in Ireland. Seemed like a monumental waste of time to drink it out of a can when so much real Guinness was available.

Which brings me to this: what is a proper pint of Guinness? Well, here's the Guinness Brewmaster himself to explain it to you.

<object height="505" width="640"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15lJn1r0Mk?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699& amp;color2=0x54abd6"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15lJn1r0Mk?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&%20amp;color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="505" width="640"></object>

To sum it up, a proper Guinness is poured in two parts out of a tap. The reason for the trademark "cascade" is a mixture of nitrogen and CO2 that comes out the tap during the first part of the pour. The bubbles appear to be settling, but they're actually nitrogen bubbles rising to the top. When you do the second part of the pour your pint glass should be ¾ full and the remaining liquid has no gas coming out and is pure beer. The beer should be poured until it ever so slightly creeps over the rim of the glass forming a proud head. The reason this is the only way to get a proper Guinness is because the tasting of the beer begins with the visual. Seeing the cascade, watching the beer turn from a muddyish brown into a midnight black and topped off by a rich, creamy head is how you first taste a Guinness regardless of the variety.

Yes, there are varieties of Guinness. I really had no clue about this until I visited the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. What you get on tap in the US will almost always be Guinness Foreign Extra Stout while in Ireland and most of Europe you get Extra Stout. There are other varieties and different regions of the world vary in their alcohol content and taste. And if anyone has ever spoken with an Irishman about beer, he's bound tot ell you the only way to get a TRUE proper pint of Guinness is in Ireland. I used to think such statements were simply prideful nationalism. However, after tasting a pint of Guinness straight from the tap in Dublin at the Guinness Storehouse (basically as "fresh" and true a pint as most people who don't actually brew Guinness can get) I must say the Irish are not talking shit. Guinness does taste better in Ireland. Whether it's variations in alcohol content, gas mixtures, or the recipe itself, something is lost when Guinness is transported overseas. The best way I can describe the taste differences between the Irish pint and the US pint is the Irish pint has a crispness to it lacking in the US pint. The flavors are all there for the US pint, the roast of the hops, the bitterness, the creaminess. Yet these same flavors are sharper and more heightened in it's Irish cunterpart.

The first true proper pint of Guinness I ever had I actually poured myself. I don't know if it was the atmosphere, the company, the jetlag, or the fact that it was free, but I do not lie when I tell you this was the most exquisite tasting beer I've ever had in my life.

dsc9805e.jpg

And I'll end my review with this two minute video test to see if you're a drinker of Guinness or a Guinness drinker. If you get bored by this video then sorry, you're not a true Guinness drinker. :wink:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CChris%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]--> <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEEbE3vbGw8?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEEbE3vbGw8?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEEbE3vbGw8?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

As good a thread as any.

The Budweiser Chelada

chelada1.jpg?t=1241960957

A mixture of beer, tomato juice, clam juice, salt and lime, distributed in 24oz cans with an alcohol content of 5%, all for around $1.59.

Personally, I love the shit, but I also love Clamato.

So my question is this: Gay/not gay?

I'm torn. Not that it's going to effect how much I love it and drink it in anyway, it just occurred to me that it could be considered a bitch drink (it doesn't help that the mixture makes it slightly pinkish), and wanted to bounce the idea around.

Watcha think Hondos, you manly bastards?

• 1 month later...

So I, almost randomly, snagged 3 imported alcoholic beverages, 2 of which are beers. I'll give my impressions as the night progresses.

First up was Strongbow, from England. I imagine I'm likely to get scoffed at a bit by our members from that side of the pond.

egua9z.jpg

Not a beer, it's a cider. I didn't read the fine print and was expecting a beer, so my first taste was rather disappointing. As the can grew lighter, my enjoyment of it grew. Almost in direct proportion. It has an aftertaste not completely unlike wine. Wine in a box, to be specific (the best kind). Makes sense since they're both made from fermented fruit. Wiki says Strongbow is made with apples.

So, not bad and pretty unique. Sweet and bubbly and with a bit of a bite. Like someone mixed champagne, yellow beer and apple juice and let it sit on the shelf for awhile. I don't think I've had anything quite like it. I don't see myself seeking it out in the future, but I can see how someone could develop a taste for it.

HAhaha, that's pretty much the reaction I anticipated. It's like MD 20/20 over there or something.

I don't think I'm a fan of the whole "cider" thing, personally. Those aren't really much of a market over here. I probably would have picked something else if it wasn't stocked right in the middle of the goddamn beers.

So next up we have Spaten - Optimator from Germany

2h5vc5k.jpg

Now that, ladies and germs, is a muthafuckin Beer. Capital "B". I think the act of finishing the pint and a half made me grow no less than 4 new hairs on my chest. Beer like this makes the thin golden shit we commonly drink over here taste like dirty water.

It's thick, it's rich. If it was weed, I would call it "skunky". The aftertaste is kind of like a mix between nuts, chocolate and...lumber? I dunno, but I liked it. The fact that it boasts a respectable 7.2% alcohol content probably helped that considerably.

Note to the Ren fair crowd: this is the probably the stuff that knights drank. Except they drank it warm, because they're MEN. I drank it cold, because I like cold things.

Highly pleasurable experience. Would drink again.

So last up on the evenings experimentations:

Sapporo, from Japan

nvqnh3.jpg

Crisp and light. Pretty much the beer opposite of the Spaten up there. It's not a whole hell of a lot different than your typical Budweiser, it just has a faint aftertaste kind of like Sake. I assume that's the rice (I'm also assuming anything from Japan is probably made out of rice...).

It's easy to drink and it's refreshing, but it's absolutely nothing special.

So it gets a definitive "meh". I won't buy it again, if only because I feel like I can get almost the same experience for a lot less money elsewhere.

One thing of note is the can. I instinctively crush my cans after I drink them, so that when the night grows late and they're strewn about my desk, I can tell which ones to drink from and which ones to ash or spit in (this helps me avoid tragic mistakes).

I tried to crush this can, and it's a fucking beast. It defied me. I held it up and gave it a puzzled look. I managed to dent it, but it's made of carbon fiber or some shit. Thankfully, I only have one, so confusion won't be an issue.

As good a thread as any.

The Budweiser Chelada . . .

So my question is this: Gay/not gay? . . .

Watcha think Hondos, you manly bastards?

Hmm. Good question. I'd say it's somewhere between

and O'Doul's as far as canned/bottled alcoholic beverages go. But then again I also hate any drink w/ tomato juice. :bored:

So last up on the evenings experimentations:

Sapporo, from Japan . . .

So it gets a definitive "meh". I won't buy it again, if only because I feel like I can get almost the same experience for a lot less money elsewhere. . .

I agree w/ that assessment. My favorite Japanese beer is Kirin Ichiban. I almost always get the 22oz bottle when I eat sushi.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...